• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Streams Trailer

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I had my doubts, and I still don't know how I feel about Cho, but it doesn't actually look half bad. I know I've seen people say it looks campy AF but uh... maybe that's why I like it.

Here's betting dollar to donuts Ed will be teased in the final episode since they did a promo with their way of speaking earlier on.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a full remake... don't see the point quite frankly.

Some executive has a lot of fait on it though, the CG looks expensive.
db999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
As optimistic as I've been about the show thus far I was still a bit worried that the show could turn out to be not that great as the previous promo materials had some issues, the opening had some poor editing and in the lost sessions if didn't think the acting for Faye was very good. However, with this trailer I'm no longer worried this looks legitimately good. The sets, the acting, the actions I thought everything was on point. I seriously don't understand anyone who looks at this trailer and thinks it looks cheap or poorly done. Yeah, it's a bit campy but the show could be pretty campy sometimes as well. The show could still not turn out great but this trailer is legitimately great.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Eh, still looks a bit iffy to me, but I’ll probably still give it a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
It doesn’t look terrible. But the shoes it had to fill are massive.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The use of "Tank" in all the promotional material feels especially desperate, like they think their audience is too stupid to know this is Cowboy Bebop unless they play it every single time.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
The use of "Tank" in all the promotional material feels especially desperate, like they think their audience is too stupid to know this is Cowboy Bebop unless they play it every single time.

Well, think about it. They are making an anime live action. The first thing they want to be clear on is that they care about the source. Death note never used anything from the original. Neither did dragonball, or most other adaptations. This is just them covering their bases. Plus, it would be like advertising Star Wars without the star wars themes. It is THE reason non anime people know of Bebop.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
You know if they didn't use Tank or Yoko Kanno in the trailer people would be calling for their heads.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:45 pm Reply with quote
What come what may, that soundtrack is still killer
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
You know if they didn't use Tank or Yoko Kanno in the trailer people would be calling for their heads.

Bingo. Look at the Evangelion situation and Fly Me to the Moon for a prime example.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:

There's using "Tank" in one trailer, and there's using it in literally every piece of promotional material they put out. This is a case of the latter, and it reeks of them being so unconfident in their own work that they're just going to remind everybody of the original whenever possible (which begs the question of why someone shouldn't just watch the original instead).
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:

There's using "Tank" in one trailer, and there's using it in literally every piece of promotional material they put out. This is a case of the latter, and it reeks of them being so unconfident in their own work that they're just going to remind everybody of the original whenever possible (which begs the question of why someone shouldn't just watch the original instead).

The original TV anime is on Netflix Philippines, so I think NF is confident the live-action version can stand up to comparisons.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:15 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:

If them using Tank in all the trailers is your biggest concern then the show is off to a good start.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not sold on the main trio, and still think Cho doesn't sell Spike very well, especially, in the promotional materials, but the set design looks lovely, and on the whole it seems .. I guess a lot less bad than I had feared? This will probably be fun to watch, at least, so long as you don't have unduly high expectations of it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:

You are aware this is the promo and there's going to be more than one song in the actual show right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3