• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! Novel 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I too thought this volume was less than stellar, for much of the same reasons. Perhaps this volume is a transition point.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Something tells me S2 of the anime is not going to be as good as S1 if it adapts these parts of the volume.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:04 am Reply with quote
Honestly this seems to be a trend with most LN series. I'd be hard pressed to think of more than a half-dozen that don't start to wear thin, "overstaying their welcome," after the first few volumes. It's quite the problem in this industry that many of the authors are amateurs and seldom seem to get much help from their editors.

When I look at all the series I'm still reading past volume 5, I'm fairly certain I'm on,y keeping up with most of them due to sunk cost fallacy.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
And i don't know of doing it otherwise would have helped, the spinoff where Katarina recogerá her memories after the bullying incident eventually gets bogged down by having the academy characters Bad, even thought it was fun when Katarina was winning a different ser of characters.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:03 am Reply with quote
I always felt this series peaked with volume three. The ending was perfect and the humor hadn't been run into the ground yet. Like most harem series, there is only so far the usual shenanigans can carry a story before a lack of meaningful progress becomes tiresome.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Honestly this seems to be a trend with most LN series. I'd be hard pressed to think of more than a half-dozen that don't start to wear thin, "overstaying their welcome," after the first few volumes. It's quite the problem in this industry that many of the authors are amateurs and seldom seem to get much help from their editors.

When I look at all the series I'm still reading past volume 5, I'm fairly certain I'm on,y keeping up with most of them due to sunk cost fallacy.

Well the reason this series is like this is because the "main story" was finished in the first 2 Volumes, but because of whatever circumstances, the author continued to write more books.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:30 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Well the reason this series is like this is because the "main story" was finished in the first 2 Volumes, but because of whatever circumstances, the author continued to write more books.

The web novel ended at volume two before it was picked up for publishing. After that Yamaguchi had to find a way to keep the story going. It was not originally meant to be a long running series.

(Also apparently my memory failed because I meant volume two in my previous post, not volume three.)
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

The web novel ended at volume two before it was picked up for publishing. After that Yamaguchi had to find a way to keep the story going. It was not originally meant to be a long running series.

(Also apparently my memory failed because I meant volume two in my previous post, not volume three.)

Correct, I recall some LN afterwords saying Yamaguchi ended up continuing the novels because it was just so popular with readers.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

That's usually how it goes. The writers either lack the ideas to develop a series further or the premise itself is fundamentally unsuited to expansion, but they try to wring more and more content regardless, and do so by repeating the same basic beats ad nauseam.

It can be especially bad in comedies and the repetition tends to strip away the humor and reveal totally broken, dysfunctional characters with no hope for the future. We can only go so far with "bakarina's" silly antics until we reach the point where her stupidity, failure to learn from past experiences, and inability of her friends to genuinely communicate with her at any level (because misunderstandings lol) reshape her into, "this is a mentally ill person in an abusive environment" -rina.

If we're not there already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1