• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeLog Launches Global YouTube Channel With Ahare Meisaku-kun, 'Hello, Anne,' More Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Awww, the channel doesn't have videos on it yet. I really hope they let certain shows like the WMT series be shown in the US! I've been wanting to rewatch Before Green Gables for a while, since the old subbing group never got to finish it.

Edit: Oh wait, never mind then! Only the first episodes of various shows are listed so far, but I hope they stream shows in their entirety!!
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
There were some widespread misinformation when the channel first launched, prompting people into thinking this one channel was going to upset the entire anime streaming landscape.

The most optimistic outlook for the channel is that it is going to host some older anime from the 60s /70s / 80s in full with some promotional episodes (like the first episode because this is already available for free not region-locked for a number of newer anime series on their official channel on Youtube) for newer shows (anything after 2000) and even some older OVAs.

It is really not going to have the latest seasonal anime like some people think it is going to have Rolling Eyes The license rights is really not going to work out.

I am really looking forward to the WMT. It is woefully underappreciated. One of my ALL TIME favourite anime is Shoujo Cosette from 2007. Not that I expect it to be on the channel given my own perimeters, but it would be a nice surprise.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I am really looking forward to the WMT. It is woefully underappreciated. One of my ALL TIME favourite anime is Shoujo Cosette from 2007. Not that I expect it to be on the channel given my own perimeters, but it would be a nice surprise.

Indeed. The WMT shows really deserve more love here than they get. I've been pestering companies like Discotek to put them on DVD/BR for years. I'd love for Toei to put up Dog of Flanders especially, because that one's my all-time favorite, with Cosette being a very close second. But man, Toei, please put up the entirety of Before Green Gables subbed! I had to watch the whole series with crappy English subs long ago, and I'd love to rewatch it with better quality subs, even if they are closed captions!
TemplateR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
It has the same problem like Toei's YouTube Channel "TOEI TOKUSATSU WORLD OFFICIAL":

The crappy YouTube-Softsubs.

Isn´t it possible to upload the videos with Hardsubs? I mean I would like to watch some shows/series even with Eng-Subs. BUT not the YouTube-Sub-Quality, because it looks crap and cheap.
The same goes with Amazon-Prime Subtile-Format, it looks crappy and cheapy.
Netflix does better do with Subtitles.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
There were some widespread misinformation when the channel first launched, prompting people into thinking this one channel was going to upset the entire anime streaming landscape.

It was more a hope, because we're tired of having to sub to so many different streaming services to watch even half the anime out there
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
Isn´t it possible to upload the videos with Hardsubs?

I think they want to add multiple subtitles in the future. Hard sub would mean if they were to sub a show in Spanish, they will need to upload the episode again. If they keep all the subs in one video, the viewership will be concentrated.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

It was more a hope, because we're tired of having to sub to so many different streaming services to watch even half the anime out there
It was definitely something prominent AniTubers were claiming was definitive proven fact based on the filmiest of evidence and people just ate it up.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Definitely, but I think there are still fans out there, quite a few of them, that actually believe they will be able to watch AOT or MHA on there. Or even Evangelion.

Speaking of Evangelion, what I think the most interesting thing is that the Japanese companies are uploading first episodes of anime they own the license for on YT. Obviously they don't have English sub and they may be region-locked sometimes, but this is an interesting trend that started around when the lockdown happened.

The Rebuild movies were fully available on Khara's official channel for a while and King has first episode of Revolutionary Girl Utena. Madhouse's Anne Frank's Diary from 1994 is also fully available for free in English dub on YT. First five seasons of Case Closed / Detective Conan in Japanese are available region-locked to Japan as well.

What might be the result of this availability is probably more promotional in scope than accessibility in scope though. Hence why this channel will likely follow a similar path.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It was definitely something prominent AniTubers were claiming was definitive proven fact based on the filmiest of evidence and people just ate it up.

Why do you think people ate it up though? I remember hearing the news and I went to the channel right the way. It was right there in the description for the channel in Japanese that they will be focusing on "family-friendly and classic anime". I don't think it would be hard to research a little to know what the channel is about.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Why do you think people ate it up though? I remember hearing the news and I went to the channel right the way. It was right there in the description for the channel in Japanese that they will be focusing on "family-friendly and classic anime". I don't think it would be hard to research a little to know what the channel is about.

People have biases and when they find information that supports it, some will take it without a second thought/look. In this case, some people have grievances against streaming services(reasonable or otherwise), so when they saw things like "Japan is going to take control back of their shows" or "Toei is tired of X streaming service, so they are going to own then and remove 'insert popular Toei anime' etc from youtubers/websites it seemingly justified their position and appealed to them. Why double check info when you can enjoy your fantasies.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Why do they even have an "AnimeLog Global" channel if they're just gonna put all the English/Spanish-subbed ones on the JP channel? So far the Global channel has just a months-old "coming soon" video.

Anyways, really hope we'll finally get Future Boy Conan legally with subs. My brother already watched it on youtube but I'm pretty sure that was an unauthorized fansub (even though it's remained unchallenged on YT for years).
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Why do they even have an "AnimeLog Global" channel if they're just gonna put all the English/Spanish-subbed ones on the JP channel? So far the Global channel has just a months-old "coming soon" video.

While the Global channel does feature the Japanese channel and associating official Japanese company channels, I am not so sure if it is in fact affiliated with AnimeLog. Their official Twitter only links to one channel and their verified channel does not feature the Global channel either.

When they announced their channel, a whole bunch of copycats showed up, pretending to be affiliated with them. When they got their channel verified, they specifically mentioned in their tweet that they noticed a lot of fake channels that looks like their channel and they got verified to distinguish themselves away from the fake channels that has nothing to do with them.

Many of the fake channels are using similar banners and descriptions to appear to be legitimate, but I think there is one AnimeLog channel for this company.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

As much as I also have that hope and how that would definitely be nice, it seems like an unobtainable pipe dream. The west in inherently at a disadvantage due to licensing and translation being two huge barriers that don't exist for Japanese services. Even disk releases have always had issues with licensing the OVAs and movies to a TV series.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, anyway, I'm hoping that they (the real one, obviously) will add Heidi, Girl of the Alps at some point. It's already available legally in Spanish (both European and Latin American), and (European, I believe) French on Studio 100's official YouTube channels (these two languages, at least). You see, the theme song is one of the four anime themes that were referenced on the classic arcade game Frogger*. Having said that, I've watched other adaptations of Heidi as well. Overall, however, I am looking forward to what this YouTube channel will eventually give everyone.

*Because of legal issues, though, the current version of Frogger (i.e., the Xbox Live Arcade, and Arcade Archives versions) doesn't have these themes, or a couple or so of the ones that should be in the public domain.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
But I’m not sure anime fandom knows what they really want because people complain about too many services which I agree about but also when Sony announced they were in the final stages of buying Crunchyroll, people also panicked about how this was going to be the end of anime and that Funimation was becoming a monopoly and I’m like pick a side. Like yes there are too many streaming sites to choose from but if you have it all in one place, the only way to do that is through creating a monopoly like scenario.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2