• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Booksellers Association Requests Challenge Against Penguin Random House's Upcoming Pu

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
ViacomCBS is selling Simon & Schuster and Penguin Random House offered the best price if this is blocked they will sell it to next on the list which will be for less so ViacomCBS will get less.

What happens if they get less? well they will have to sell and cut elsewhere in the business to get the money they need.

Why do they need money? NFL rights, rights negotiations are coming up and Disney has announced that through both ABC and ESPN they are going to spend big to get the rights ViacomCBS currently has Fox Corp also plans to spend big.

Why does ViacomCBS need NFL rights? it needs them for advertising dollars and affiliate fees because the NFL is the main reason anyone cares about live TV at all and it's where the majority of all the advertising money spent on live TV goes today.

If ViacomCBS fails to get any NFL rights they face the prospect of being dropped from major cable and satellite providers since without NFL rights most subscribers to cable won't care about ViacomCBS owned channels.
Q4000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The ABA expressed concerns that this purchase would lead to a large consolidation of power in the U.S. book publishing industry, which could make it more difficult for authors and editors to attract support they need to write books.

Authors nowadays have the option to independently publish or self-publish (or even go crowd-funding). Although it also has its cons, it is a more viable option than it was a decade ago. Brandon Sanderson (who recently did a highly successful Kickstarter for his leather-bound edition of Way of Kings) talks about traditional and indie publishing, just to give you an idea of how it all works and how traditional publishing isn't the only option for authors to take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f0biNdwifI&ab_channel=BrandonSanderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHdYX418PaA&ab_channel=BrandonSanderson
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:47 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

If ViacomCBS fails to get any NFL rights they face the prospect of being dropped from major cable and satellite providers since without NFL rights most subscribers to cable won't care about ViacomCBS owned channels.

Uh, what Viacom channels besides CBS air NFL games?

And I don't think any major cable or satellite provider is in a rush to get rid of CBS.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ushio wrote:

And I don't think any major cable or satellite provider is in a rush to get rid of CBS.

Ah I was treating college football on CBS sports as the same thing since college football is bigger than MLB or NBA.

But it's for negotiations. CBS and Viacom merged back together because Viacom channels were being dropped. Without NFL on CBS cable companies can justifiably drop CBS if ViacomCBS wants to force an all or nothing package on them since without NFL CBS just doesn't have the audience.
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:18 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Ushio wrote:

Ah I was treating college football on CBS sports as the same thing since college football is bigger than MLB or NBA.

Only in certain states. Most of the country doesn't care about college ballsports my dude. And definitely not more than the NBA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1