• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Film Is 1st Since Spirited Away to Earn 30 Billion Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:16 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:23 am Reply with quote
Seriously, what's the whole deal with this film? Even if we consider the whole pandemic thing, I seriously doubt a doubt a film based in a manga with limited appeal outside Japan and the U.S., being the latter likely the only western country which dubbed the TV series, while the rest of the world could only dream on getting a dub, or being streamed at all, being an Aniplex show, being so damn popular to top original films, like Spirited Away and the like?
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Seriously, what's the whole deal with this film? Even if we consider the whole pandemic thing, I seriously doubt a doubt a film based in a manga with limited appeal outside Japan and the U.S., being the latter likely the only western country which dubbed the TV series, while the rest of the world could only dream on getting a dub, or being streamed at all, being an Aniplex show, being so damn popular to top original films, like Spirited Away and the like?

People like it. A lot. Turns out it has general appeal, not limited. It's really not too hard to understand that a lot of people can like something you don't.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:35 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for Demon Slayer.

But I often walk out of Miyazaki film saying "Its the same protagonist again, and was merely okay." So it is nice to have something new to compare to.

The Avengers series in America did well and they weren't original.

As it stands it takes more to get people out to a theater in recent years and 'generally acceptable' quality like a Miyazaki film won't be shattering anymore records in this age.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:41 am Reply with quote
The sad part is that that old jerk Miyazaki won't really care for that despite the fact that Demon Slayer shares many of his values.

I for one continue to be happy and eagerly await the crowning of the New King next week.

Omedettou, Gotouge-sensei~
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:16 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

The reason of KnY success is similar to Spirited away and Your Name success, because they are anime movie that have wider appeal than normal anime movies. Most anime movies only appeal to it fanbase and rarely attract people outside it fanbase. That's why stand alone movies usually do better, normal viewers don't have to read the material or watch the anime first before they watch it. However, KnY have became such a household name that even normal viewers know about it and have read the manga or watched the anime, not just it fan. KnY just have a wider appeal to many difference demographic, more than most shounen series.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:16 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Demon Slayer is crazy popular in Japan. You see promotional tie-ins everywhere. (I even saw some of the characters slapped on floor cleaner bottles once as I was walking home) It's hard to say why it's so popular though, it's really a lighting in a bottle moment I think. The story itself isn't groundbreaking, the animation is beautiful, yeah, but other shows have had amazing animation. I think it just struck at the right time for literally the entire country. You still see pretty massive lines at the theaters for the movie, despite the fact we're living in covid times with Japan reaching its all time high numbers.

I think what's even crazier to think about is that this is literally just the next arc of the manga being animated. Imagine if it was the finale as a movie, that'd smash records in a way no other Japanese movie could.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:28 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
The sad part is that that old jerk Miyazaki won't really care for that despite the fact that Demon Slayer shares many of his values.

To be fair Miyazaki has said he doesn't watch any movies or TV nowadays. Demon Slayer sharing many of his values won't change that.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:

I for one continue to be happy and eagerly await the crowning of the New King next week.

Omedettou, Gotouge-sensei~

Pretty sure Miyazaki hasn't cared about any non-Ghibli film (or even any film not made by him) in the last 10 (20?) years and Kimetsu was never going to be the one to reverse that.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Tanjiro is the main reason the show has a lot of appeal. To many Japanese mothers, he's the ideal son who is pure at heart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Those show is lit man. The manga is amazing. It beat one piece for a reason. This animation, music and fight scenes are amazing in this movie.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It's an excellent series that strikes all of the right chords - I wouldn't call it lightning in bottle, more like using what is generally popular (a good hero story), and telling it very, very well.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote
lighting in a bootle refers to the super amazing timing it had. you cant plan for that, end your story as the anime becomes really popular then sell all your manga backlog in a single year, then get a movie made while the iron is hot .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1