• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SNK Announces New Console for 2021

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
So....can I assume the new investor from Saudi Arabia (aka a certain royal prince) is the one who try to push this? Hmmmmmmm....
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Good luck competing with the Big 3. I wonder if Sega's gonna try and get back into making consoles...
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Good luck competing with the Big 3. I wonder if Sega's gonna try and get back into making consoles...

Unlikely they seem to be content in being more of a game developer these days, but you never know.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
So....can I assume the new investor from Saudi Arabia (aka a certain royal prince) is the one who try to push this? Hmmmmmmm....

This is too fast for that to be the case, it's probably been in the works for a while now. If anything, it matches the pattern of them pushing out some new Neo Geo mini console thing every couple of months.

After the Neo Geo Mini was already out, they'd announced "Neo Geo 2 and Neo Geo 3" would be coming, and everyone assumed that was the Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro and the MVSX (countertop arcade with stand option). And now here's another one!! How many more form factors do they think people want to buy?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they are making a dedicated machine to house all their fighting games & unite them under a single online infrastructure. Definitely a strategy to bring your player bases together while milking more money out of them.

Ironically, SNK has yet to prove they can make solid online. SamSho is dead because of it. And yet somehow that is getting a Season 3...
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

As mentioned, this was obviously already long in the works. The Saudi ownership won't really result in anything notable revealed until at least mid-2021, at the absolute earliest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1