• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Platinum End Manga by Death Note, Bakuman Creators Gets TV Anime in Fall 2021

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:50 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard much from this series at all since its announcement way back when. I thought maybe it just dropped off somewhere along the line but now it's getting an anime. Though, I somehow doubt this will get the same kinda attention that Death Note had back in its day but will have to wait & see.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:08 am Reply with quote
Maybe they will animate the manga before it went downhill.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:29 am Reply with quote
This premise reminds me of The Future Dairy. Btw, the char's name means future. Ironic...
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:30 am Reply with quote
Loved Death Note. Hopefully this will be good too
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Loved Death Note. Hopefully this will be good too

It isn't. The manga is terrible and the proof, to me, that the writer is a hack. This thing has all the problems in DN with none of the "qualities".
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:41 am Reply with quote
The manga is pretty enjoyable imo. Looking forward to this anime adaptation
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
Manga is awful, and I'm being easy on this. The only thing that is good is outstanding art.
If you expect Death Note' level of quality... don't. Watch/read something else.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for this...and by excited I mean excited for the internet at large to see how baffling bad this series is, because saying it's a step down from Death Note is an understatement, and it made me realize (rather painfully) that Ohba's kinda overrated as a writer and most of what worked about Death Note was the result of writing a good thriller rather than him intentionally trying to say anything meaningful (Ohba's attempts to be more "thoughtful" with this series lead to some pretty disastrous results most of the time).

The early parts are at least laughably/entertaingly bad though, so hopefully they go totally nuts with that before it gets to the second half which juggles being bad, pretentious, and incredibly boring
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
I do enjoy this series a bit(the early parts -are- a slog), but I really wish someone would tell Ohba that female characters exist outside of "crazy", "damsel" and "trophy"... Confused
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
you always see this from fans who love an authors previous work. Deathnote is one of the most iconic series of all time and fans always will compare his future works to it, It happens time and time again, i would suggest just watching it for what it is and try not to compare it to deathnote! lets be real there probably wont ever be another deathnote
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:
you always see this from fans who love an authors previous work. Deathnote is one of the most iconic series of all time and fans always will compare his future works to it, It happens time and time again, i would suggest just watching it for what it is and try not to compare it to deathnote! lets be real there probably wont ever be another deathnote

If there wasn't the Death Note comparison, there would be nothing to say about this series. It would be just another forgettable, hackneyed work of fiction thrown in the pile. It is only because of the "pedigree" attached to it that it is getting any attention.

If nothing else, it will give Big Order a run for its money in silliness.
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Seems like most people were expecting a lot out of this because of Death Note and Bakuman. I don't see how this series is trash though. It was a very enjoyable read for me.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Jay_Stone wrote:
Seems like most people were expecting a lot out of this because of Death Note and Bakuman. I don't see how this series is trash though. It was a very enjoyable read for me.

This kind of reminds me of the "final" manga Ashirogi Mutou came up with in Bakuman.
nb97

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I just rewatched Bakuman recently and there was some criticism aimed at Takagi for not being able to write female characters, and man, Saki immediately came to mind. Lots of things mentioned in Bakuman as criticism to the main characters were things I genuinely felt like matched perfecly with Platinum End. Apart from the art, I'd have to agree that there's nothing exceptional about this manga. Especially the current arc. It's nothing but seemingly philosophical talk about nothing.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading the first 3 or four chapters of this one, thought it had a somewhat interesting premise but idk if my patience for Ohba's misogyny simply ran out or it became even more apparent and vicious in this series, i just couldn't keep going. I dropped it immediately when that one chapter opened with a scene ofspoiler[ a guy very graphically raping a bunch of idols]. Don't remember a whole lot about it otherwise

nb97 wrote:
I just rewatched Bakuman recently and there was some criticism aimed at Takagi for not being able to write female characters, and man, Saki immediately came to mind. Lots of things mentioned in Bakuman as criticism to the main characters were things I genuinely felt like matched perfecly with Platinum End. Apart from the art, I'd have to agree that there's nothing exceptional about this manga. Especially the current arc. It's nothing but seemingly philosophical talk about nothing.

I mean, Ohba in general has never been good at writing female characters because he hates women. Death Note is a prime example but even in Bakuman where he kind of tried to make the female characters more tri-dimensional, they all ended being flat stereotypes to showcase how women will never be as good as men and are only good if they devote themselves completely to their man
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3