• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Back to the Horizon: A Beginner's Primer on Log Horizon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I got late to the party and only watched last year.

Its everything I thought SAO would be and loved it..... but... spoiler[really pissed me off when 4 girls suddenly feel in love with the MC in one episode.]
Lynx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this. Last I watched the 2nd season was when it was airing so I forgot a lot of the details. This was a helpful refresher.
cfalcon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! This definitely came in handy, since I didn't remember most of the characters' details.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Its everything I thought SAO would be and loved it..... but... spoiler[really pissed me off when 4 girls suddenly feel in love with the MC in one episode.]

spoiler[You mustn't have been paying much attention; Minori and Akatsuki at least have obviously been crushing on him for a while.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
A very nice primer indeed. One thing I can think of worth mentioning would be "Overskills", perhaps fitting it in when talking about Shiroe's Contract Art Ceremony skill. As overskills have been and will continue to be of pretty large importance to multiple characters and events. Overskills, in simple sense, are special individual skills that did not exist beforehand and only came about during the latest update. They're usually incredibly powerful, such as Shiroe's ability to rewrite Rundelhaus Code as an Adventurer.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the refresher.

I semi-recently re-watched the series when I heard the 3rd season was announced. I planned to hold off until it was about to air, then caved about season ahead of it's air date. Then it was delayed due to covid Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
So can someone please tell me who honesty are and why they matter?
Everything else in the season 3 premiere made perfect sense to me....But honesty feel they just came up out of no where, which generally never happens in log horizon as far as I can remember.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Honesty is one of the founding guilds of the Round Table, and their job was to investigate the whole Fairy Ring (teleportation) issue. They got a lot of extra members after Krusty vanished and are feeling strained financially and Eins, the leader, is frustrated that he couldn't solve the issue with the Fairy Rings. He feels like the Round Table should have helped more, either not realizing that they aren't "The Government" or choosing to think that they should function that way regardless.

Basically, I see Eins as feeling shamed, which is behind his move at the end of the episode.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he's a kind of a double-agent - he's working with Plant Hwyaden, but he justifies everything he does as being for the good of Adventurers who aren't happy being stuck in the game world.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Honesty is one of the founding guilds of the Round Table, and their job was to investigate the whole Fairy Ring (teleportation) issue. They got a lot of extra members after Krusty vanished and are feeling strained financially and Eins, the leader, is frustrated that he couldn't solve the issue with the Fairy Rings. He feels like the Round Table should have helped more, either not realizing that they aren't "The Government" or choosing to think that they should function that way regardless.

Basically, I see Eins as feeling shamed, which is behind his move at the end of the episode.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he's a kind of a double-agent - he's working with Plant Hwyaden, but he justifies everything he does as being for the good of Adventurers who aren't happy being stuck in the game world.

Where they in the anime much at all season 1 or 2? It has been a while and Eins did at least look familiar to me previously. I remembered almost all of the other founding members so It just felt like it was a sudden appearance to me, and shiro having to just info dump what they were supposed to be doing at the beginning to catch us anime onlys back up to speed.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:

Where they in the anime much at all season 1 or 2? It has been a while and Eins did at least look familiar to me previously. I remembered almost all of the other founding members so It just felt like it was a sudden appearance to me, and shiro having to just info dump what they were supposed to be doing at the beginning to catch us anime onlys back up to speed.

They did nothing relevant on-screen in seasons 1 and 2. Off-screen, is like @princess_irene said
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

They did nothing relevant on-screen in seasons 1 and 2. Off-screen, is like @princess_irene said

Yeah, having them thrown into the anime without an episode to cover the backstory was not something I was expecting, otherwise I would have put it in the article. Sad
PabloGarciaCoutino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Log Horizon is one of the best isekai, light novels /web novels out there. Looking forward to the post volume 11 light novels and the post episode 25 anime Would this be season 2 or season 3 of the anime? Question
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
HAL14 wrote:

Yeah, having them thrown into the anime without an episode to cover the backstory was not something I was expecting, otherwise I would have put it in the article. Sad

OH I am not blaming you at all. You just seemed like you knew stuff from the actual books so I was curious if I was missing something or just forgot it in the 5 years since I saw season 2 when it came out.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

OH I am not blaming you at all. You just seemed like you knew stuff from the actual books so I was curious if I was missing something or just forgot it in the 5 years since I saw season 2 when it came out.

Ha ha, yeah, I actually just finished reading volume eleven of the novels. It's one of those franchises where I enjoy all of the iterations of it.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Where they in the anime much at all season 1 or 2?

They were present, but didn’t do much of note on screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2