• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Virtual YouTuber Agency hololive Opens Recruitment for New Online Service, Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Yay If anyone could actually pull off something like this right now it would probably be Holo live actually. making their performers and characters into an anime virtual convention space could actually work, especially given how well their fandom is.
bennyl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I think a 2d version of second life isn't going to be a winner. However licensing or selling their tech to aspiring vtubers could be a lucrative market. They will need to protect their branding, but I could see a service for selling and renting the tech to other youtubers under another name.
BockLefty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I figured 2021 would be the year Hololive expands. The brand is certainly now ripe for expansion and there's so much they could do with it. I'll certainly look forward to more varied media from them.
Trunks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Yay If anyone could actually pull off something like this right now it would probably be Holo live actually. making their performers and characters into an anime virtual convention space could actually work, especially given how well their fandom is.

Wouldn't Nijisanji also be able to pull it off though? They're even bigger than Hololive in Japan, and most feel their 3D tech has been superior. Their reach is not as much as Holo internationally though.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:58 pm Reply with quote
This is really interesting. From what I gather, a lot of the live2d tech vtubers use can be run off an iphone, which is tech a lot of people own. If hololive can provide a series of template faces, hair-styles, and clothing - this could turn anyone into a pseudo vtuber. I'm not sure if this is what they're going for here, but it's still an interesting reminder that hololive (or rather, Cover) is a tech company first, and an idol company second. This technology has way more applications than just virtual celebrities (as much as I love them), and it'll be interesting to see Cover and hololive experiment a bit. A possible hidden benefit of experiments like this is that it could also help slow down market saturation - I'm already having trouble following all the vtubers I like. There were several vtubers from Gen 5 I really like, but I haven't subbed to them because I already can barely keep up with the ones I already am following, even if I'm mostly just watching clips.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1