• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cestvs: The Roman Fighter TV Anime's 1st Full Video Unveils More Cast & Staff, Dragon Ash

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:36 am Reply with quote
When I saw the poster I immediately clicked to see the trailer, then I remembered it was a cheap CG netflix show. It should be illegal to make a poster which isn't remotely close to what the show truly is.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:09 am Reply with quote
Not planning on watching this show, but I'm happy to see Dragon Ash doing another anisong. "Rainy Day and Day" and "Hi wa Mata Nobori Kurikaesu" are certified jams.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:18 am Reply with quote
Is there another show similar to this? As I recall seeing a trailer sometime last year for a show that was hand-drawn that had the same setting as this.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is there another show similar to this? As I recall seeing a trailer sometime last year for a show that was hand-drawn that had the same setting as this.

There's another boxing anime (also on Netflix), Levius, but that's also full CG.
Riliont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
Im so tired of this 3D garbage. Definitely not the industry I grew up loving with this crap they are putting out. Ruined Ghost In The Shell with it.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Riliont wrote:
Im so tired of this 3D garbage. Definitely not the industry I grew up loving with this crap they are putting out. Ruined Ghost In The Shell with it.

Eh, the problem is overall shitty application due to low budgets, lack of decently trained animators, and most importantly, lack of a creative vision. Look at Beastars or Houseki no kuni, it's the same technique and yet those shows look just fine.

I think the main issue is with the overall creative approach by the directors. Most of them are trying to use this technique as if it was like more traditional animation, even though it's not - a lot of things that work in 2D (let's call it that) animation simply don't work here. 3DCG needs a lot more fine-tuning to produce the nuances that you see in 2D animation (such as facial expressions, delicate movements, exaggerations to represent energy of movement, etc), while the same tropes and shortcuts produce jarring results due to the whole visuals having a more "realistic" feel, look at some of the typical exaggerated anime gestures and facial expressions and how shitty they look in 3DCG. (This is one of the things where Beastars has an advantage of the cast being animals, animal faces are less likely to produce uncanny valley effect.)

With Beastars and Houseki no kuni it's clear that the team working on the visuals actually had a plan going into the show, adapting the visuals to the technique in order to make the most of it and make it work for the show and its overall tone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1