Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Unveils Project Athia PS5, PC Game's Title as Forspoken




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wolf10



Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 554
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
AH. There it is. The logo and title were leaked a while back, and even with the FFXIV team saying, "no, that's not the the next expansion," people didn't believe them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 2298
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
If they had the title, did they need to have Ella still call it "working project Athia?" It just sounded kind of weird.

Looks like this has a bit of an Iseaki premise with Frey getting pulled into a fantasy world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nyren



Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Posts: 660
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah not sure how I feel about that. Kind of tired of isekai's. The weirdest part of this I guess is that while it's developed by the Japanese team at Luminous Productions, responsible for Final Fantasy XV, the games story was actually written by western writers. So western writers decided to do an isekai, starring an, imo, kind of bland looking protagonist. Seriously, it looks like she got yanked into that world while she was jogging and has yet to find any other clothing besides a cloak. Otherwise she's wearing a t-shirt, jeans or sweat pants, a pair of sneakers, and some gold bands on her arm. And then the cloak is about the only thing that makes this look kind of fantasy. She's definitely no Agni. Now that I wanted to see turned into a game. Instead we get this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8239
Location: IL
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Seriously, it looks like she got yanked into that world while she was jogging and has yet to find any other clothing besides a cloak. Otherwise she's wearing a t-shirt, jeans or sweat pants, a pair of sneakers, and some gold bands on her arm. And then the cloak is about the only thing that makes this look kind of fantasy. She's definitely no Agni. Now that I wanted to see turned into a game. Instead we get this.

I don't know hardly anything about this game but I don't understand why you would want the main character to wear much more uncomfortable and cumbersome clothing than what she is wearing now? Her combat style seems to be focused on evading attacks and attacking with some sort of magical power from a distance. None of those are hindered by wearing a t-shirt and jeans, are they?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlueAlf



Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 1057
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:20 am Reply with quote
I sorta realized two things from this announcement.

One, Square Enix is really aiming for the international market nowadays instead of putting emphasis on Japan's.

Two, we still hardly know anything about this game's staff. Sorta curious considering how Tabata who previously led Luminous had left the company a couple of years back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Hermano



Joined: 24 Feb 2019
Posts: 449
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't know hardly anything about this game but I don't understand why you would want the main character to wear much more uncomfortable and cumbersome clothing than what she is wearing now? Her combat style seems to be focused on evading attacks and attacking with some sort of magical power from a distance. None of those are hindered by wearing a t-shirt and jeans, are they?


Alisae from FF14 is a Red Mage who dashes and flips around in combat a lot and all 3 of her outfits so far have been unique looking and fine, in my opinion. Personally, I don't think realism should ever be an excuse for a boring character design or mechanic. Especially in a game teaming with magic, monsters, and other obviously unrealistic things. Maybe Frey was designed by the western side of the production, since western designs go for the more realistic and subdued design for characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrownKlown



Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 1748
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Yeah not sure how I feel about that. Kind of tired of isekai's. The weirdest part of this I guess is that while it's developed by the Japanese team at Luminous Productions, responsible for Final Fantasy XV, the games story was actually written by western writers. So western writers decided to do an isekai, starring an, imo, kind of bland looking protagonist. Seriously, it looks like she got yanked into that world while she was jogging and has yet to find any other clothing besides a cloak. Otherwise she's wearing a t-shirt, jeans or sweat pants, a pair of sneakers, and some gold bands on her arm. And then the cloak is about the only thing that makes this look kind of fantasy. She's definitely no Agni. Now that I wanted to see turned into a game. Instead we get this.

You do realize western writers as you put it have done the concept at least as far back as mark Twain if not earlier . Hell Alice in Wonderland is arguably one . So it's not a uniquely Japanese concept . Not to mention the setting moat people get sent to typically are European style and based on European fantasy creatures like eleven and dwarves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 4359
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they are saving the best locations for later, because otherwise the environments in this game look really boring. What have we got, a rocky mountain area with some empty uninspired ruins and forests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group