• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Osamu Tezuka Characters Get Team Phoenix Crossover Manga by Spanish Artist Kenny Ruiz

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
This looks amazing. Gathering all the characters from a prolific creator's works together into one series reminds me of Giant Robo (AKA my favorite anime of all time) but even that series didn't have access to icons like Astro Boy, Princess Knight or Black Jack. If this series does Tezuka justice, it'll be one for the ages.

(But of course, Tezuka's work seems to sell like bupkis in North America so I'm not holding my breath on this getting translated. Crying or Very sad )
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:19 am Reply with quote
I don't like much this kind of projects made by western artist, look how they butchered Astro Boy in 2009...
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
I don't like much this kind of projects made by western artist, look how they butchered Astro Boy in 2009...

That was done by a major hollywood company, of course they were going to change it. However, comic adaptions of anime have actually been pretty well recieved. The cyborg 009 adoption was positive, even the macross adaptions were good. That was also a large group, as opposed to a single person. I think we need to goce ot a chance. Especially since Tekuza remakes in japan have been so rare(still waiting for that french Astro Boy reboot!)
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
Never heard of Kenny Ruiz before. I checked out his art on Instagram and it looks pretty good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1