• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom Announces The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles Game for Switch, PS4, PC on July 27 in West

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
BLESS! I heard good things about these two games so I'm looking forward to playing them finally myself!
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
I'M SO HAPPY I COULD CRY

Also it's about damn time Very Happy
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!! I am SO buying this!!...even though I haven't played Ace Attorney in years. Maybe this'll give me the incentive to rectify that.

Now if only Capcom would do this for Ace Attorney Investigations as well!
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Oooh. I might finally buy myself a Switch now
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Awesome!! I am SO buying this!!...even though I haven't played Ace Attorney in years. Maybe this'll give me the incentive to rectify that.

Now if only Capcom would do this for Ace Attorney Investigations as well!

The second Investigations game was never released in English, correct? My wife and I played it in Japanese, there was a fair amount of difficult vocabulary. Something easy to translate involved a discussion about the difference between a jail and a prison (more useful than talking about ladders vs stepladders), but there was a lot that was harder.
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Jesus.. I never thought this would happen one day. I'm so excited to play this!
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

The second Investigations game was never released in English, correct? My wife and I played it in Japanese, there was a fair amount of difficult vocabulary. Something easy to translate involved a discussion about the difference between a jail and a prison (more useful than talking about ladders vs stepladders), but there was a lot that was harder.

The second investigations game got an English fan translation which is how I and some others played it. An official release would be wonderful (considering how incredibly good it is), though getting used to new localized names would be a weird challenge. I hope DGS sells well so that they consider an Investigations collection so that finally everyone can play it easily.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Did they stop Americanizing the names or something? Surprised to see Japanese names.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Did they stop Americanizing the names or something? Surprised to see Japanese names.

It's overtly declared to place in both Japan and Britain and a lot of speculation from Western fans as to why DGS was never localized was because it would conflict with the localization team's silly headcanon that they have developed (and dug a hole for themselves) over the years. The real reason may be wildly different, but it is a notable point that normally doesn't exist normally during localization.

The counter point to this is that because the setting takes place "long ago" Capcom could just drop all that but ultimately no one can say why it just stopped. It looks like the latter route of just pretending the DGS games exist in their own pocket was decided upon.

I have noticed they're using "Nipponese" and the land of "Nippon" as a way to sidestep outright saying Japan as many other titles with similar references do.

I'm glad to see this finally arrive in the West. These two games are by far my favorite in the entire series.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Great to see these two coming over. Hopefully they properly localize it.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I have to eat my words.

Though it took almost 5 years.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Incredible! Never thought I'd see the day.

Now we just need SEGA to localize Yakuza Kenzan and Yakuza Ishin.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
Horsefellow wrote:

It's overtly declared to place in both Japan and Britain and a lot of speculation from Western fans as to why DGS was never localized was because it would conflict with the localization team's silly headcanon that they have developed (and dug a hole for themselves) over the years. The real reason may be wildly different, but it is a notable point that normally doesn't exist normally during localization.

I was pretty sure it had to do with lack of translators who had the time to work on the game and also how insanely law suit happy the sherlock holmes estate is. Though apparently they are willing to risk it by going the lupin route and calling them Herlock Solmes and Iris Wilson.

I am just so happy to have these games in english finally, now all we need an official release for Investigations 2 and GOD WILLING a second miracle to get the games released physically in the west.

I would totally pay $90 for physical copies of those 5 games on the ps4 or even better the switch.......WHAT it's a miracle we are getting it even, so why not hope for a second one.

I mean it's more likely then a Apollo Justice Trilogy set......Goes to cry in corner over lack of love from capcom for AA
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:18 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Guess we’re excluding the PSP games. Which I know do to being handheld games would probably not look good resed up.

Covnam wrote:

As goofy and outright tacky that the localization of these games have been I don’t see how they’ll “properly” localize it at this point.

John Thacker wrote:

The reason that’s always been given for why Kenji 2 was never translated originally was that Capcom simply didn’t plan for it in the period of time after it’s release. It was never anything to do with translation issues. Especially when they have been willing to throw things in that weren’t in the original Japanese.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I mean it's more likely then a Apollo Justice Trilogy set......Goes to cry in corner over lack of love from capcom for AA

Capcom doesn’t hate this series just because we don’t get physical releases outside of Japan anymore. Also curious about this AJ trilogy since Capcom long made it clear that Phoenix was the main character of the 5 & 6 games eventhough 4 was supposed to be a fresh start for the series but no gotta make the Gen 1ers who can’t let go happy.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

Guess we’re excluding the PSP games. Which I know do to being handheld games would probably not look good resed up.

Covnam wrote:

As goofy and outright tacky that the localization of these games have been I don’t see how they’ll “properly” localize it at this point.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Capcom doesn’t hate this series just because we don’t get physical releases outside of Japan anymore. Also curious about this AJ trilogy since Capcom long made it clear that Phoenix was the main character of the 5 & 6 games eventhough 4 was supposed to be a fresh start for the series but no gotta make the Gen 1ers who can’t let go happy.

That was my first thought as well for the PSP yakuza games, was yay that would be really nice...but good luck making that actually work. especially if they where going not just remaster those other two games. like they did for yakuza 3-5

Back on topic the PW translations are very loose to be nice to them. but I still do actively love how much energy and personality they made sure to put into them. its not like PW original got a translation in the style of any of the original yakuza games. you can tell that the team was actively trying their best to do as good of work as possible to make as many things get translated or localized over to US teens and even younger back in the early 2000s.

I am also going to have to disagree with you a bit on the whole capcom doesn't actively hate the 2nd gen games and Apollo. The 5th game is absolutely a gross over adjustment to people who hated hobo phoenix. I honestly think they also just can't do good second act games if you get what I mean.
But the 6th game is ABSOULTELY Apollo's game. Yes there is still a ton of Phoenix in there as well. But the plot and the story of the game is still all about Apollo pretty much, and it also finishes off his story arc in the series. So that is why I would still call it apollo's trilogy.

I would also like to point out that even in the latest orchestra concert there was only one musical number for all of the 2nd gen games all together. despite their being 3 being scheduled around great ace, and the original PW series. even edgeworth got 2 numbers for himself while his voice actor hosted the whole concert and talked for around 20 minutes. It took a twitter vote for there to be a second musical number for the second gen games to even happen at the concert.

So yay I am going to say that someone important at capcom does actively hate Apollo and the second trilogy of games. Especially since we randomly got an almost 50 episode anime adapting the original trilogy of games with many anime original episodes in it. Along with a live action version of the first game.

Also how many times and ways has capcom resold the original games to people. It is playable on 10 different systems. versus the 2nd gen games which is only on some smartphones, and the 3ds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2