• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anno, Itano, and the Apocalypse: Intergenerational Struggle in Megazone 23 and Neon Genesis Evangeli

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Reminder that Ichiro Itano also wrote and directed a trashy ultraviolent OVA in which the Jews wanted to destroy Japan by turning it into a nuclear waste dump. I don't think his work deserves this kind of deeper analysis, let alone to be compared and contrasted with Anno's.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Reminder that Ichiro Itano also wrote and directed a trashy ultraviolent OVA in which the Jews wanted to destroy Japan by turning it into a nuclear waste dump. I don't think his work deserves this kind of deeper analysis, let alone to be compared and contrasted with Anno's.

Itano is possibly my favorite animator of all time, but I also think he's a terribly mean-spirited writer and director, so I was wary of Megazone 23 Part 2 when I finally got to watch it last month after receiving my BD-box. Much to my surprise, I enjoyed it a lot, and I thought it brought the story that Part 1 left dangling to a satisfying conclusion. It just took me a while to adjust to the jarring character design changes, even though I like Yasuomi Umetsu's art style a lot.

Speaking of Umetsu, I have to assume he took charge of the surprisingly graphic sex scene in Part 2. That's almost a precursor to his work on Kite and Mezzo Forte.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
Here's another reader who really appreciated the article. The allegorical references between the 2 groundbreaking titles were very well explained.

I'm a longtime fan of Megazone 23 but I've never really placed it in my mind alongside Evangelion. One other title I've always considered similar to Megazone 23 was Macross Plus. They both involve a virtual idol in a technological setting and mechas.

I could mention a staffing crossover with these two in that the legendary artist, Haruhiko Mikimoto, did character designs and animation direction for both shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1