• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Case Study of Vanitas (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote

(The) Case Study of Vanitas (TV)

Genres: fantasy, historical, supernatural
Themes: shounen, vampires

Plot Summary: In a steampunk version of late 19th century Paris, humans and vampires have come to coexist relatively peacefully, largely because humans believe they were all wiped out. There are a few cases, however, where a vampire appears to go rogue and prey upon his human neighbors once more. There is only one man who seems to know both the reason and the cure for this madness, a man calling himself a “vampire doctor,” Vanitas. When young vampire Noé comes to Paris at the behest of his master, he comes into contact with Vanitas, who appears to be nothing more than a silly young man. Oh, how appearances can be deceiving…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

A really good first episode, I could quickly pick up Yuki Kajiura, and not at all surprised to learn that the original creator is the same as Pandora Hearts. We got the right amount quirkiness with the tanned white haired lead, who himself seems to be a benevolent vampire, and has a floofy cat. I have a good amount of interest in vampire stuff, and were really disappointed that I did not enjoy Mars Red, but this is feeling up my alley, especially when the events managed to resolve without killing the vampire lady that lost control.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:12 am Reply with quote
1:

Sure doesn't feel like a Bones production.

Premise: Vanitas is a vampire shunned by other vampires because he's thought to be cursed. Hence, he vows to take revenge on all who have shunned him.

Actual story: nope, nothing like that.

Strange situation here. It turns the concept of vampires on its head, so now we have 18th-century France―interesting choice of setting―where vampires apparently have an honor code to never kill or hurt humans (uh huh...), and Vanitas is actually a human who wants to help vampires get rid of a curse (uh huh...). If Vanitas and Noe as partners should strike as odd to you, just bear that the premise above is what prevents them from killing each other (for now, apparently). Not sure how exactly this human-vampire world works―like, how do vampires feed themselves, or why would a human bother to save creatures that are a threat to humans―but I guess we should stay tuned to find out.

I like the music and overall direction... but I'll be frank: I'm not a fan of the bishie theme. Never been a fan of it. The show's not subtle about it and it might annoy me too much. Hence, I'm on the fence on whether I want to stick around. We will see in due time.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote
2:

Hmm no, I'm gonna drop this one.

Not a bad show, but just not my kind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
I did get a bit of laugh out of Noe I think saying that his desire to not work with Vanitas was not professional but that he might not like him personally, all while being friendly. Noe might have a point as Vanitas does have some traits to not like. Also liked how Noe turned things around by asserting that it wasn't him who was working for Vanitas, but Vanitas that was helping him.

ACxS wrote:
Not a bad show, but just not my kind.

Is there a particular part you did not like?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:43 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Is there a particular part you did not like?

I may be going out on a limb by saying this: it's too pandering. To whom? Female viewers. The bishe-licious characters, the brand of humour, the character archetypes. And I swear, the more Noé says he hates Varitas, the more I feel he's secretly in love with him (kinda reminds me of a comic panel from Sarah's Scribbles).

There will always be pandering shows, and I know a pandering show when I see one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I like this one. Love the Victorian era Paris, like the humour, like the characters. Ya can't go wrong with vampyres.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
This show won me immediately when Noe introduced his cat rather than himself. Vanitas himself is a little too much on the too much side though but that's the point, isn't it?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Watched episode 01.

Omg.

WHAT AN AMAZING SHOW... I hope the rest of the episodes are just as good! The manga's artwork looks incredible too....as expected from Pandora Hearts' creator ♥ Vanitas is the largest ham I've seen in a while; I just love him from his design to his actions to his dialogue and his ridiculous maniacal laughter. xD

@ACxS

Really? Then, every single Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime is "too pandering to the MALE viewers". Rolling Eyes

I demand equality.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Maybe I am just focusing on a specific example from fiction, but a vampire masquerade that included things like jesters, trapeze artists and jesters, reminds me a lot of a certain scene from the 2004 movie Van Helsing. It is not necessarily something like a reference, rather than maybe just certain themes that can overlap. The movie also featured an automaton with a Frankenstein's monster, with automatons also appearing in this episode.

Vanitas has also maybe shown his hands that he is not helping vampires outside of some idea of wanting to help people, but he is trying to get back at his master who possibly hates vampires. The Dominique character doesn't seem bad, I did like her sort of more masculine dress, but also seems to rightfully be looking be looking out for Noe, when Vanitas isn't truly good. Vanitas also a bit creepy when he was pushing Jeanne, with the biting scene super sexual. And Dominique's sister, who based off her dress seems to really like Japan.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
After episode 07, I can safely say "I'm madly in love with this show and it's the Anime of the Year for me." Every single moment is so enjoyable. I want to follow this gorgeous, sexy, snarky deviant and his dumb puppy vampire boyfriend to the ends of the earth. Anime smile

Praise Bones for this gem of an adaptation and praise the mangaka for this gem of a story. We better get a second season. Twisted Evil
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Praise Bones for this gem of an adaptation and praise the mangaka for this gem of a story. We better get a second season. Twisted Evil

Well, do you count a split cour as a second season? Because this was announced for a split cour from the start, so there should be another cour airing in January 2022.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Well, do you count a split cour as a second season? Because this was announced for a split cour from the start, so there should be another cour airing in January 2022.

That's great to know, thank you. I was unaware. Anything is better than just 12 eps. xD
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Vanitas sure manage to spoil a welcome very quickly, but apparently got what he wanted.

Only really realised this episode that the bald guy is called count Orlok, a reference to Nosferatu.

Also, a vampire hunter of the church who is blond with blue/green eyes, going by the title of paladin, while being incredibly dangerous, and even finishing his speech in the episode with "amen", all brings to mind a certain Father.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Craaaaaaap how are my cute bois going to get out of this one? D:

Also it's funny how the vampire sleeps at night while the human is on the roof, thoughtfully pondering. Laughing Complete role reversal from the norm...I love it xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2