• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams English Dubs for Battle Game in 5 Seconds, My Next Life as a Villainess, I

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, Funimation dubbed Darwin's Game, so Crunchyroll is going to dub Battle Game in 5 Seconds as their Death Game anime of the season.

I guess I'm not surprised that with two continuing dubs (To Your Eternity and Iruma-kun) they're only dubbing three other shows and two of which are sequels. I would've liked to have seen Girlfriend, Girlfriend dubbed and maybe Aquatope, Tsukimichi and Seirei, but those seemed like longshots.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I would've liked to have seen Girlfriend, Girlfriend dubbed and maybe Aquatope, Tsukimichi and Seirei, but those seemed like longshots.

Caitlin Glass at FUNi would've dubbed Aquatope in a heartbeat. Thanks, Crunchy. Also, Crunchy not dubbing a popular show (and KyoAni's grand return to TV Anime) like Dragon Maid S into English HAS to mean that FUNi is dubbing it themselves, right? Because, if not, Dragon Maid S being dubbed in multiple languages EXCEPT English would be INCREDIBLY petty of Crunchyroll.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping for The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace to get dubbed, but oh well. I don't plan on watching any of the shows on this line-up.

Keep up the good work with the 86, To Your Eternity, Tokyo Revengers and Iruma-kun dubs though! Those are great stuff.

EDIT: Oh I just realised Maid Dragon S2 is not licensed by Funi. So I guess we shouldn't be expecting a dub for that one then?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
The two second seasons are no surprise, and I guess I had a hunch from the premise that Battle Game would as well.

thekingsdinner wrote:
I was kinda hoping for The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace to get dubbed, but oh well. I don't plan on watching any of the shows on this line-up.

Keep up the good work with the 86, To Your Eternity, Tokyo Revengers and Iruma-kun dubs though! Those are great stuff.

EDIT: Oh I just realised Maid Dragon S2 is not licensed by Funi. So I guess we shouldn't be expecting a dub for that one then
?

Hard to say. They have done dub-only streaming for several (but not all) sequels to things from the partnership days, with some of those announced after the subbed version started.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
I would've liked to have seen Girlfriend, Girlfriend dubbed and maybe Aquatope, Tsukimichi and Seirei, but those seemed like longshots.

Caitlin Glass at FUNi would've dubbed Aquatope in a heartbeat. Thanks, Crunchy. Also, Crunchy not dubbing a popular show (and KyoAni's grand return to TV Anime) like Dragon Maid S into English HAS to mean that FUNi is dubbing it themselves, right? Because, if not, Dragon Maid S being dubbed in multiple languages EXCEPT English would be INCREDIBLY petty of Crunchyroll.

Tanya The Evil Movie was dubbed in multiple languages back when it came out except in english to this day,so yeah,it has precedents...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm expecting Dragon Maid to just get dubbed by Funimation like they have past co-licenses.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Just one non-sequel, that's kinda disappointing.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm still holding out hope that Funi will announce that they are dubbing Dragon Maid S like they did QQ S2 and Demon Lord Omega.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll wait a little longer in this case. Not that I dislike Maid Dragon in Japanese, but Sarah Wiedenheft in a main role is always great to listen to <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Caitlin Glass at FUNi would've dubbed Aquatope in a heartbeat. Thanks, Crunchy.

I'll hold out a bit of hope that later on it somehow might get a dub with a physical release. Hopefully the streaming numbers do well enough that it's considered.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Didn't expect Battle Game to be the one non-sequel to be dubbed, I would have thought it'd be Aquatope, Girlfriend Girlfriend, or even giving the slot to Dragon Maid (though I hope Funi does come back to do that anyway)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Funimation is dubbing s2 of Demon Lord so I think it's pretty likely they will dub Miss Kobayashi s2. I'm surprised and disappointed they're not dubbing Aquatope but I guess I shouldn't be after Odd Taxi was sub only even though it was co-produced by Crunchyroll. I would have thought they would dub Peach Boy Riverside to cash in on Coolyousinnjya.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Its been said a million times now but I do wish Crunchyroll would actually start releasing their full credits for their dubs its such a inconvenience to dub fans.
tboy1992

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Its been said a million times now but I do wish Crunchyroll would actually start releasing their full credits for their dubs its such a inconvenience to dub fans.

I couldn't agree more with this statement.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

It kind of surprises me how many major characters for Crunchy dubs end up being uncredited/left to guesswork.

I don't think anyone's been confirmed to voice Annette from 86 for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1