• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Yoko Kanno or Yuki Kajiura?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
It should be spelled Mai-Otome not Mai Otomo. Razz And my vote will always be for Yoko Kanno. Very Happy
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
I never will understand this debate.

The only soundtrack I've heard of Yuki Kajiura's since .hack//SIGN that I thought was actually interesting was Loveless. Even though the first season Tsubasa Chronicle soundtracks and the Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome soundtracks were good, you also get stuff like Elemental Gelade, which is just her on autopilot, completely boring and not interesting at all.

Of course, you have to give credit for what Yoko Kanno can do, so in that sense she's a better composer, even though I don't much care to actually listen to her works. But just going on female composers, I'm probably one of the few who would rather listen to Hikaru Nanase than either of these two.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
Kajiura did some of the theme songs/inserts for GS and GSD, but she did NOT do the OST. That role belonged to Toshihiko Sahashi (according to the encyclopedia).

Perhaps that line should be replaced with Xenosaga Episodes II and III.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
Kanno.

I still haven't gotten any incentive to listen to Kaijura's compositions after her meddling with Xenosaga ep. 2. First impressions are pretty important, especially with music. It wasn't really the change in composers, it was the change in music.

Thus far my first impression of Kaijura's work was not too good. It really threw off what I loved about the Xenosaga series and Xenogears. The music. It really changed the entire feel of what made Xenogears really unique and different from the other RPGs that I have played. Listening to Kaijura's work only made me want to rush through the game and not want to listen to it again.

But I got a little bit curious that I went and downloaded some of her songs to hear a sample of her music, after the "great" debate in the music forums about the two different composers. Still. I found nothing that I liked.

I do not like all of Kanno's music, some of her songs are just.....weird. But I love majority of her work, especially from Macross Plus and Arjuna. I find those pieces really gorgeous in sound. I will, also, be open to say that I do not favor the soundtrack to Cowboy Bebop as much as the ones I just mentioned.

It boils down to personal preference in music. It just so happens that Kanno's music fits most of my music preferences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm more likely to listen to Kajiura's soundtracks by themselves than Kanno, and when I first started watching Noir the thing that REALLY struck me about her show was the music. In fact, even after I started to be less than thrilled with the show, I stuck with it for a while...because of the music. I love Yoko Kanno's work, I think she's really talented, but she just hasn't been as memorable to me as Yuki Kajiura, so I voted for her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the results so far, it's not actually much of an eternal debate... Laughing
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
*shakes head*...I personaly think this is fueling the fire *sigh* It's not that hard to figure out that Yoko would win so why have the poll in the first place?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
*shakes head*...I personaly think this is fueling the fire *sigh* It's not that hard to figure out that Yoko would win so why have the poll in the first place?

For the purpose of seeing what percentage perhap Kanno Over Kajiura or vice versa. Personally I decide to go with Kanno, still one of the only composer that I will listen to a regular basis. Nothing against Kajiura who does some great work, but that really only when I am watching an anime do I listen to her work. Very seldom has one of her CD graced by Car. Not only that the Bebop soundtracks, are just so good, the wide range of different styles is just amazing.
miji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I like both a lot and have soundtracks to quite a few of the shows they worked on. I personally like Kanno better, but I don't see why there needs to be an argument about it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
So they decided to do a poll. I can't wait to check out the results. I'm not voting as I'm not picking sides. I like them both. It's like "apples" and "oranges". I mean to each his own.

First time I ever heard anything by 'Yoko Kanno', was during the 'Cowboy Bebop' phase. And I'm not even a fan of the series. Never had been even though I watched it. But 'Escaflowne' was what brought me to the table. Yet I don't even own a soundtrack for that series. Hell I even met the woman, and the 'CBBB' crew back in 'Otakon' 1999'. What a cute little woman she was. Just bustling with energy. It was such a pleasure to meet her. I even had her autograph one of 'Cowboy Bebop CDs. After that meeting I would continue to purchase everything she composed. Because she was an excellent and famous composer. Of course what I found out later was that I didn't like everything she composed. No matter how spectacular fans made her out to be. To this day, I'm now wondering why I had bought the damn soundtracks when I had very little interest in the show. : ? I must have liked something. When I was thinking of purchasing the 'GITS' soundtrack, I started hearing folks complain that they didn't like the entirety of the album. But the OP 'inner universe' is the bomb and I have to agree. Mind you I never bought those soundtracks. Because I realized years later that just because she was 'Yoko Kanno' I cannot expect to buy something and possibly like it unless it touches me in some way.

As for 'Yuki Kajiura'. First time I heard her was from 'Noir'. But it would be 'Madlax' that would make me go back and really listen. Then I followed her through her music, but this time with a little more interest. I do like 'Kajiura-san's music very much. But most of the stuff I've followed by her was only through the shows that I took interest in. Like, 'Noir', 'Madlax', 'Mai HiME', 'Mai Otome' and the like. I didn't by 'Xenosaga 2' or ./hack. But I'd be willing to give 'Xenosaga 2' a try because it's part of a series and she composed it. But again, I found despite some of the repetitive notes that 'Kajiura' does and people complain about, her music is sort of melodic in a sense of easy listening. You either like it or you hate it. Which seems to be the case. If your a crazy fan you'll take everything in a nutshell, if you're a partial fan you'll buy what you like and leave the rest and if you hate it then you hate it. And curse her to hell.

For me I just have a more tolerant ear than some and usually like anything as long as it strikes a chord in me. No matter how bad or good it is. That's right I'm on crack. Razz My only problem was buying stuff by these artist and only having a small immersion. It would be years later before I finally realized what I really liked about the two and and better reasons buying their albums.

I may like 'Kajiura' a little more than 'Kanno' probably because I can just immerse myself in her music. Mind you I've came across tracks that I didn't care for. But mind you I still like 'Yoko Kanno'. I may just haven't really had the chance to feel anything that strikes a chord with me.

So what it really all comes down to is preference. Both musicians are talented and have garnered fans and displeasers, it goes with everything in this world. But hell, they aren't the only composers out there. It seems the problem is that fans think that 'Yoko Kanno' is the only composer out there. It's almost like fans put her on a pedestal because of 'Cowboy Bebop'. If they went to Japan and were asked by someone who their famous composer was, they'd probably be laughed at for being the biggest gaijin anime fanboy out there. I'm exaggerating mind you. But I stating a point. And the same goes for 'Kajiura' too.

You got 'Ali Project', 'Hirasawa Susumu', S.E.N.S, and many others. Be they good with their compositions or not. It's a matter of preference. Not everyone can be like someone else. But people insist on complaining about SOMETHIN'! Confused

It's just music folks, just music done by very talented people. Wink
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
This Poll should have a Third and Fourth Option of "I like both equally" and "I havn't watched any of either of these composers anime.

I like both equaly so I shall abstain from this debate.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:
This Poll should have a Third and Fourth Option of "I like both equally" and "I havn't watched any of either of these composers anime.

AGREED!!!!
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand why this is even a debate. Their styles are so different, it makes no sense. Is it simply because they're both talented and female? If it's just that, why not ask Kanno vs Oshima? Or Kajiura vs Kunihiko? Why aren't there any 'debates' about the best male composers? Why must we divide talent by gender anyway? Sheeesh.

Going purely by versatility Kanno is better than just about any other composer around, regardless of gender or nationality. But really, this debate is just silly. They're both talented, they both have different styles that occasionally overlap, they both have scored famous anime...but they are different and shouldn't be judged to be 'better' than the other simply because they're both women. If this was a debate between Kanno and Hisaishi, or some other 'big name' composer I would understand, but just to judge people against each other simply because they share the same gender is pointless, and a bit insulting.

Can it end now please? Smile

Edited to add:

Saphiro01 wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. Smile
law240

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Kanno Wins hands down checked out both Kajiura's and Kanno's their top rated songs at Gendou "Dance of Curse II" V.S. "Lost Wings" Kanno just wins I have no bias againist Kajiura. Kanno is just a musical Power House like the Goku of anime music Very Happy really all i had to say is Ghost in the Shell OST but hey just trying to even it up.

Kajiura doing Gundam Seed Confused I think thats a mistake she didn't play a very big role in the music for that anime did a couple insturmentals I think what I'm trying to say is Gundam Seed doesn't equal Kajiura more like Gundam Seed = T.M.Revolution is more like it.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Although I believe this discussion over who is the better composer is getting a bit old, I voted in said poll regardless, and chose Kanno. Music comes somewhat second nature to me, as I've been involved with it for nearly 15 years. I agree, both Kanno and Kajiura are very talented, and create unforgettable melodies; why else would 'Coppelia's Casket' be running through my head right now? But in the end, my view of the nature of music is its ability to carry an unspoken emotional weight through its notes, and this is where Kanno won out (her work in titles such as Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain spoke volumes to me).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5