• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Anime Film's Trailer Reveals New Characters, Animation Style

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Saw the trailer and I can't say I'm impressed. I'm not inherently against CGI anime, but looks just... "okay". It's not a lot footage, but it's an underwhelming first impression.

I can't help but compare it to Broly which looked spectacular. Even that one used CGI quite a bit, but it actually looked pretty good. Super Hero feels like quite a step back to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Retrosofa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Honestly; the last two films were bad but they at least looked fine. Not a fan of the animation style.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why Toriyama is obsessed with Bulma. She is almost the Mokuba from Dragon Ball. At least Piccolo seems to finally do something important after how the previous three films treated him
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The animation seems iffy, but I'm psyched to see Pan in training, so I'll give it a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I don't get why Toriyama is obsessed with Bulma.

Probably because she's one of the most popular and somewhat useful female characters in the series.

tintor2 wrote:
She is almost the Mokuba from Dragon Ball.

Mokuba from Yu-Gi-Oh?

tintor2 wrote:
At least Piccolo seems to finally do something important after how the previous three films treated him

I mean teaching Goku & Vegeta how to do the fusion dance is pretty important.....absurd and borderline retcon esque as it was.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm more optimistic about the animation in contrast to everyone else; it's going to allow the team more freedom to do whatever it is they have planned.

Also, movie automatically gets points in my book for making Piccolo a central character and subtly reminding everyone that he is the OG Bad Guy BFF before Vegeta came along.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
I don't get why Toriyama is obsessed with Bulma.

Probably because she's one of the most popular and somewhat useful female characters in the series.
What does she do in the Tournament of Power onwards or the Buu arc? I don't remember anything mindblowing
tintor2 wrote:
She is almost the Mokuba from Dragon Ball.

Mokuba from Yu-Gi-Oh?

tintor2 wrote:
At least Piccolo seems to finally do something important after how the previous three films treated him

I mean teaching Goku & Vegeta how to do the fusion dance is pretty important.....absurd and borderline retcon esque as it was.

It was important but he barely appeared. It was almost the same as putting Mark Hamill in the second season of The Mandalorian to take baby Yoda. In the previous movies he was constantly owned by Beerus, Frieza and even killed for the tv version.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was important but he barely appeared. It was almost the same as putting Mark Hamill in the second season of The Mandalorian to take baby Yoda. In the previous movies he was constantly owned by Beerus, Frieza and even killed for the tv version.

Messed up as it may look to some Vegeta can't be the only character to demonstrate how strong and dangerous a major threat is which is where Piccolo comes in.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The panel was big on emphasizing Piccolo being involved, which is going to be fun to see.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Karin, who Toriyama redrew for this film

So Karin is now white instead of blue? That's the only major difference from the manga.
LuzOx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I dont if that Unexpected character is who I think it is...
But if it is... then you can see 2 frames of the character in the trailer
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I don't get why Toriyama is obsessed with Bulma. She is almost the Mokuba from Dragon Ball. At least Piccolo seems to finally do something important after how the previous three films treated him

Bulma isn't like Mokuba, she is very important in the series. She created the Dragon Radar, created a Time Machine, She the first friend of Goku
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. I can't get interested in this movie in any way. The CGI looks off-putting, the made-up characters don't look that interesting, and the fact that I still have to wait 6 months to watch it in my country doesn't give me any hopes either. At least the last movie had Broly and some mythology about the Saiyans thrown in, but overall, this project doesn't do anything for me, specially when I'm so detached from the franchise since Super became a thing.
#Neothegreenland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
wish they went with hand drawn animation instead
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Its cool to see the film is finally coming out but its yet to be seen if this is the step in the right direction for Dragonball as a whole time will tell if this CGI film will be worth our attention. If Cell actually does return then my interest will certainly be peaked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3