• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yasuo Ohtagaki's Gundam Thunderbolt Manga Enters 'Final Stage'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTM108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:56 am Reply with quote
The best Gundam story ever written, in my opinion. Fantastic pacing, paneling, and character development; look at volume 17 which just came out for proof. I always thought it was developed more with Western audiences in mind, which I appreciated. The two movies, December Sky and Bandit Flower, are a throwback to great, no CGI anime films. I hope Ohtagaki sticks the landing!

Last edited by DTM108 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
Fantastic series, but happy this will allow the author to get some rest soon. They were forced to simplify their art style due to their health.

Hope this means we will get a complete anime adaptation. It is the only Gundam anime series that is incomplete in that Bandit Flower ends in a cliff hanger.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
I just watched the two compilation films and I hope this means they'll be able to conclude the story in anime form now.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
I want two movies to finish this off in anime form, Thunderbolt is one of the better Gundam side stories out there.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to how it ends. Big question is if something will happen and the Federation will lose / seal the information they have on Psycommu or if they'll still have knowledge of it. Honestly it could go either way given that the author doesn't consider his story official.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Never enjoyed how the mobile suits get so over the top in OYW era battles. The characters and story are good but some times the tech really pulls me out of it. Sometimes it feels like it would fit more so in post 0083.

'The Plot to Assassinate Ghiren' is a great manga for those interested.
DTM108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
Definitely looking forward to how it ends. Big question is if something will happen and the Federation will lose / seal the information they have on Psycommu or if they'll still have knowledge of it. Honestly it could go either way given that the author doesn't consider his story official.
Is that true Ohtagaki said that? Is that in an article somewhere? I'd be interested in reading it. I think this would fit nicely as cannon but I'd be interested to see why he doesn't think it is.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:46 pm Reply with quote
DTM108 wrote:
SrkSano wrote:
Is that true Ohtagaki said that? Is that in an article somewhere? I'd be interested in reading it. I think this would fit nicely as cannon but I'd be interested to see why he doesn't think it is.

"*YO**: I’m humbled [laugh]. I think in that sense Thunderbolt started off in a very fortunate position. Just as the lack of attention given the first Gundam TV series allowed it some freedom, my Gundam series is on a unique platform with Shogakukan’s Superior, so it’s not as tied down. In the beginning, I told them that I wanted to be able to work freely, even if that meant it wasn’t part of the Gundam canon, and they told me I could do what I want. However, that makes it difficult to adapt into anime and Gundam models... I suppose [laugh].

CS: So it wasn’t that they approached you and said, “Do it at this point in the Universal Century calendar.”

**YO**: It’s a bit off from the so-called “correct history,” but I did that on purpose [laugh]. I started off on the sidelines without much attention, which actually allowed some freedom as I wrote and I didn’t have to defend myself, so I decided to change what I wanted, and I think it was good that I could start that way. Being in that position is similar to how it was for the first Gundam, so I’ve been happy with it."

Source -

https://otakumode.com/news/52fc76ef80cd488c6b00068f/Interview-with-Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Thunderbolt-Author-Yasuo-Ohtagaki-3-3
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:22 am Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
DTM108 wrote:
SrkSano wrote:

"*YO**: I’m humbled [laugh]. I think in that sense Thunderbolt started off in a very fortunate position. Just as the lack of attention given the first Gundam TV series allowed it some freedom, my Gundam series is on a unique platform with Shogakukan’s Superior, so it’s not as tied down. In the beginning, I told them that I wanted to be able to work freely, even if that meant it wasn’t part of the Gundam canon, and they told me I could do what I want. However, that makes it difficult to adapt into anime and Gundam models... I suppose [laugh].

CS: So it wasn’t that they approached you and said, “Do it at this point in the Universal Century calendar.”

**YO**: It’s a bit off from the so-called “correct history,” but I did that on purpose [laugh]. I started off on the sidelines without much attention, which actually allowed some freedom as I wrote and I didn’t have to defend myself, so I decided to change what I wanted, and I think it was good that I could start that way. Being in that position is similar to how it was for the first Gundam, so I’ve been happy with it."

Source -

https://otakumode.com/news/52fc76ef80cd488c6b00068f/Interview-with-Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Thunderbolt-Author-Yasuo-Ohtagaki-3-3

I am not interested in having this debate again, but what you posted does NOT mean what you think it means. The interview is not saying Thunderbolt isn't considered canon or not part of the wider UC continuity or unofficial. Read what you posted. All it just means is that the author had creative freedom when he started. Unless the anime of Thunderbolt is contradicted by another animated series, it is not some alternate universe. This is how Sunrise has worked for a long time.

I keep seeing this argument and it is shocking to me how far people are taking this idea in order to square some kind of canon/continuity circle for UC....when in actuality the truth is thus: UC Gundam's timeline is messy and has been for decades. I am an avid Gundam fan and honestly, nothing in the animated Thunderbolt really contradicts any other animated UC work in any significant way. Or any worse than other entries into the series...So why is this still a conversation?
SrkSano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:29 am Reply with quote
There's no real debate on my end and to keep things as brief as possible, I am solely talking about the manga and not the anime. Sunrise mentioned the Thunderbolt anime in the video below. That's good enough for me, in regards to the Thunderbolt anime. The Thunderbolt anime is different from the manga.

https://youtu.be/mj3zDGgFRXw
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Considering how Thunderbolt fast forwarded the OYW war era tech so far due to no limitations and how Sunrise never markets Thunderbolt within the UC timeline whereas 0080, 0083, and 08th are, I never saw Thunderbolt as canon as well. If it even decently tried to be, they would more aggressively restock the Thunderbolt kits, and try to incorporate it within the HGUC kit line up (which are the canon versions of suits, not the RG or Ver Ka lineup). Even with the manga, the best Gundam side story imo has to be 0083 since it heavily helps connect the UC timeline. Unless Sunrise specifically puts Thunderbolt within a UC timeline twitter post, don't consider it as canon since it can easily be retconned with a future work. It should be treated the same way as Star Wars media outside the film and tv work, which is constantly being retconned even now. Unicorn pretty much made 0080, 0083, and 08th canon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1