• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Crestoria Smartphone Game Ends Service on February 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't say I'm surprised. This really should have been a console game from the start. It has neat ideas, but a cellphone game format was just not the right fit for it.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Not even remotely surprised. They make WAY TOO MANY tales of mobile games.

Plus a new one Tales of Luminaria is coming out. It's a shame as the story seemed interesting but that is the price you pay for making a mobile game
omegafinal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I have a few friends that play this, and it looks good from an outside perspective. It is a shame, because it's hard to find high quality 3D mobile gacha games like this. I can only count a handful. Obviously Genshin, and Honkai. But there was Mobius Final Fantasy, which blew me away at the time, and it ran pretty well on a Note II. Not sure how well that Star Ocean game was.

And now for me sounding like a broken record in saying, "Hopefully there is a collection of people who will save and preserve the game somehow."
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
It’s pretty obvious that Namco basically says Oh hey we got a new Tales game for Mobile so let’s get rid of the previous one for a new one. Like oh hey shiny new object. Since it’s on phones and not consoles, people don’t have the space on their phones for these big size games. Game consoles on the other hand can fit a lot of games unless it’s like a Memory Card system and not a Hard Drive.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
To add on, even though there are Android phones with SD card support, that actually opens up another can of worms. Because you have to ask, how does the phone treat it? As an extension of the phone's internal memory or as a separate drive? If it's a separate drive, does the phone and game allow installation to it? Then there's how behind the scenes. Because on my S8+, "Move to SD" is a smokescreen. Because it seems like, only the "main" part of the app went to the SD card, but all that extra data is loaded onto the internal.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
Plus a new one Tales of Luminaria is coming out.

It's been out for like a month now.

MoonPhase1 wrote:
It’s pretty obvious that Namco basically says Oh hey we got a new Tales game for Mobile so let’s get rid of the previous one for a new one. Like oh hey shiny new object. Since it’s on phones and not consoles, people don’t have the space on their phones for these big size games. Game consoles on the other hand can fit a lot of games unless it’s like a Memory Card system and not a Hard Drive.

They definitely don't do that. Crestoria came out while Asteria and Rays were active, and those two games are still going.

I guess it's just not making a profit. Not sure why though since it has a normal gatcha system, unlike Rays where you get all characters for free. It's a shame because the story is a great take on Cancel Culture and mob justice.
Apterous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I played Tales of Link before it was discontinued. I'm not jumping in on another Tales mobile game, as short, disappointing lifespans seems to be a pattern here.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm surprised. I have no idea what it is with Bamco and how badly they've mucked up every single Tales mobile game so far. Though this would've been nice to see on a handheld console, like Tales of the World, if console games were still a thing. :/
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
Well, I hope for anyone invested in Crestoria's story and characters, they're able to properly conclude it at some point.
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting service to end soon ever since they announced luminaries. The story is surprisingly well written even though it's social commentary on mob mentality is misguided and one sided. People belottling Crestoria for being a mobile game don't seem to realise that mobile games are for people who want have fun gaming for free and can't/ won't buy expensive console games. You're basically making fun of a free service and that reeks of classism.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised. I have no idea what it is with Bamco and how badly they've mucked up every single Tales mobile game so far. Though this would've been nice to see on a handheld console, like Tales of the World, if console games were still a thing. :/

Tales of Arise is the fastest selling tales game in existence, and it's mostly on console. Switch version of Crestoria would be nice, its graphics is already decent enough.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Well, I hope for anyone invested in Crestoria's story and characters, they're able to properly conclude it at some point.

Thankfully, all is not lost. Not long after this news, Bandai-Namco announced that there'll be a manga adaptation that'll properly conclude the story, detailed here: https://www.siliconera.com/tales-of-crestoria-manga-adaptation-announced/ So far, there isn't much info on its publication date or stuff like that, but it's good that Bamco doesn't want to leave Crestoria in the dark like this.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
Suxinn wrote:

Tales of Arise is the fastest selling tales game in existence, and it's mostly on console. Switch version of Crestoria would be nice, its graphics is already decent enough.

[/late] But I was referring to handheld console games, like the DS/3DS and the PSP/PSV, which is where most of the Tales crossover games ended up. I know mainline Tales games are still being developed for consoles, but spin-offs seem to have been relegated to mobile entirely nowadays instead of handhelds (though I suppose mobile is a type of handheld). It'd be cool to get a port to the Switch, sure, but I'm not sure if Bamco would actually bother, is what I meant. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1