• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentail Filmworks Licenses The Executioner and Her Way of Life Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I am so looking forward to this anime. I already bought the first couple of volumes of the manga. I am so excited
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The word "Sentai" is misspelled in the title.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, it airs on AMC at some point too.
alice32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly, crunchyroll has allowed a lot of anime to be taken from them this season
Maybe crunchyroll didn't get a chance to get more anime this season due to the merger
I feel a little like this is the last Hidive attempts before death
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
alice32 wrote:
Surprisingly, crunchyroll has allowed a lot of anime to be taken from them this season
Maybe crunchyroll didn't get a chance to get more anime this season due to the merger
is it a popular title? because if not then they might not have been interested in it. I mean if they are prioritising other titles first, then this would likely get picked up by another company.
alice32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:32 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
alice32 wrote:
is it a popular title? because if not then they might not have been interested in it. I mean if they are prioritising other titles first, then this would likely get picked up by another company.

I've heard a lot about this one, but it's not the only one. They've lost a lot of titles this season.
komi can't communicate s1 and s2, Summertime Render, I'm Quitting Heroing, Ya Boy Kongming, Executioner And Her Way Of Life, Black ★★ Rock Shooter.
And maybe more titles will be announced by Netflix and Sentai in the coming days
After the Crunchyroll and Funimation merger, I expected them to get more titles per season because their subscribers would increase and have more money after the merger.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:39 pm Reply with quote
alice32 wrote:

From CR’s press release on the merger and future seasons:

Quote:
This also means new series in the upcoming Spring season (the biggest on record—stay tuned!) and beyond will only stream on Crunchyroll. Moving forward, Funimation will only add new episodes of continuing series, which means Funimation users will want to move to a Crunchyroll account as soon as possible.

They’re probably right and possibly have scooped up everything this season. In fact I think this (including Demon Next Door) is probably all Sentai got for this season. Even though Sentai has AMC money I don’t think they’ll be that much more aggressive and competitive.

Last edited by paulchaested on Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Well this is certainly surprising.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:51 pm Reply with quote
alice32 wrote:
I've heard a lot about this one, but it's not the only one. They've lost a lot of titles this season.
komi can't communicate s1 and s2, Summertime Render, I'm Quitting Heroing, Ya Boy Kongming, Executioner And Her Way Of Life, Black ★★ Rock Shooter.
And maybe more titles will be announced by Netflix and Sentai in the coming days
After the Crunchyroll and Funimation merger, I expected them to get more titles per season because their subscribers would increase and have more money after the merger.

To be fair, most of those were lost to Netflix and Disney, which are bigger organisations than CR/Funi. No way in hell CR could outbid Disney on a title Disney had set their mind on lol.

Was a bit surprised about this one though.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Is it really that surprising? The arrangement of companies behind this series is very similar to Danmachi, which Sentai has gotten the new seasons of every year. I don't think it's farfetched that they'd be in a good position in terms of being able to pick this up.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Sentai & HiDive being able to grab more titles. Their presence is more important now than ever.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The title doesn't strike me as a must watch if its dubbed in a timely manner I may check it out. I want to support Sentai when possible hopefully current ADR Directors widen their Houston acting talent base to give dub fans a bit more variety that I feel we deserve for supporting their releases all these years.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Sentai is starting to use AMC money by picking up more titles than what they typically have aquired the last few years.

alice32 wrote:

I would have agreed with you before AMC bought them.

iamthevastuniverse wrote:
I want to support Sentai when possible hopefully current ADR Directors widen their Houston acting talent base to give dub fans a bit more variety that I feel we deserve for supporting their releases all these years.

I am a dub fan, and I don't have a problem with their current voice acting talent pool. Years ago Sentai used the same handful of voice actors over and over, but they have hired new talent and have had more variety for the last 7 years.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I wonder if Sentai is starting to use AMC money by picking up more titles than what they typically have aquired the last few years.

alice32 wrote:

I would have agreed with you before AMC bought them.

I want to support Sentai when possible hopefully current ADR Directors widen their Houston acting talent base to give dub fans a bit more variety that I feel we deserve for supporting their releases all these years.

I am a dub fan, and I don't have a problem with their current voice acting talent pool. Years ago Sentai used the same handful of voice actors over and over, but they have hired new talent and have had more variety for the last 7 years.

I haven't seen Kyle Jones,John Swasey and Shannon Reed make a massive effort to grab new voice talent since 2015 once in a blue moon we'll see a few people pop up here and there but its at a unusually snail like pace on their end. They could and certainly should start investing in the Houston Stage Talent like Steven Foster and Chris Ayres use to do for their dubs.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

I haven't seen Kyle Jones,John Swasey and Shannon Reed make a massive effort to grab new voice talent since 2015 once in a blue moon we'll see a few people pop up here and there but its at a unusually snail like pace on their end. They could and certainly should start investing in the Houston Stage Talent like Steven Foster and Chris Ayres use to do for their dubs.

New people have been coming in for them all the time, sometimes even getting into leading roles pretty quickly (like Alyssa Marek, for example). Almost every time I watch a Sentai dub these days I'll be seeing new names. Often times in small roles, but they're there. Heck, just look at Shenmue's cast and you'll see multiple people getting their first-time entries on the ANN database.

If their rate of new talent being brought into the fold is too slow for you, then you're free to feel that way, but you can't keep acting like this is such a big issue when it's not. They already have so many actors on their roster, and it's a massive difference from where they were 7 years ago. I am more than satisfied with where they are right now, and it seems I'm not alone in feeling that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1