• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Ayakashi Triangle, Futari Escape, Ramen Wolf and Curry Tiger, More Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Yabuki manga, I wonder if Seven Seas has plans to reprint To love Ru.
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Seven Seas picked up Ayakashi Triangle. It was pretty obnoxious how it was being treated before; it's actually a pretty fun manga. I wonder if this was in the works back when they delisted it
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Speaking of Yabuki manga, I wonder if Seven Seas has plans to reprint To love Ru.
Wait that's already out of print!?! Shoot I've gotta jump on some of my backlog of book orders before this happens like the 5th time to me.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Ayakashi Triangle is probably a better fit for Seven Seas anyways.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I had some doubts whether it could happen, but I'm extremely happy to see Seven Seas manage to get rights for Ayakashi Triangle. Smile
I look forward to collecting the volumes!
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm so relieved that a publishing company that actually respects their titles has picked up Ayakashi Triangle. It's not something I would normally spend money on, but I'm going to buy it as an FU to Viz! I encourage everyone else to do so as well.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:35 pm Reply with quote
vanishingblood wrote:
I'm so relieved that a publishing company that actually respects their titles has picked up Ayakashi Triangle. It's not something I would normally spend money on, but I'm going to buy it as an FU to Viz! I encourage everyone else to do so as well.

Viz and Shueisha give Ayakashi Triangle to Seven Sea, if Viz didn't respect Ayakashi Triangle they would have sat on it doing nothing with it. Also, you still giving money to them anyway since they part of Shueisha
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:40 pm Reply with quote
So Ayakashi Triangle: That's the one that kept getting it's digital chapters not released right?

From the synopsis it kinda sounds like Ranma 1/2 if I am correct?
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:50 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
So Ayakashi Triangle: That's the one that kept getting it's digital chapters not released right?

From the synopsis it kinda sounds like Ranma 1/2 if I am correct?

It softcore hentai Ranma 1/2
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
vanishingblood wrote:

Ah yes. I can see the scene inside Viz's offices right now.
'Oh noooooo. Don't buy this manga we still own the license to! Whatever will we do with people buying a series we've sublicensed to another publisher and are currently simulpublishing? Nooooooooo."

Buy manga because it's something you like, not out of some misdirected and counterintuitive spite, man.
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
vanishingblood wrote:

Viz and Shueisha give Ayakashi Triangle to Seven Sea, if Viz didn't respect Ayakashi Triangle they would have sat on it doing nothing with it. Also, you still giving money to them anyway since they part of Shueisha
Shueisha's not the problem, they create it and release it uncensored (in the tankobon at least). The Shueisha people do not micromanage everything Viz does. It's the employees at Viz who decided to disrespect art. Am I a good adoptive parent if I ban the child from my house but let them live at a friend's? My view is that my $13 goes to Seven Seas, whom I know will not then use it to commit atrocities like censorship. If you want to believe any and all money spent on a Shueisha product inevitably ends up in Viz's pocket, that's your problem.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:49 pm Reply with quote
vanishingblood wrote:
I'm so relieved that a publishing It's the employees at Viz who decided to disrespect art. Am I a good adoptive parent if I ban the child from my house but let them live at a friend's? My view is that my $13 goes to Seven Seas, whom I know will not then use it to commit atrocities like censorship. If you want to believe any and all money spent on a Shueisha product inevitably ends up in Viz's pocket, that's your problem.

I don't imagine you'll be persuaded by this, but for the sake of anyone else reading this thread we should clear up a couple misconceptions:

1. It almost certainly wasn't Viz or anyone at the company who decided not to publish the 2 chapters in question. We know this because those chapters are also missing from Manga Plus, a service that Viz has no involvement with or control over. That service as owned by Shueisha and controlled by the Japanese side of the corporation, meaning somebody on that end most likely made the call on not releasing those chapters.

2. Even if they were responsible, the series is still licensed by Viz, as evidenced by them still simulpublishing chapters on their Shonen Jump service. Meaning Seven Seas is sublicensing it from Viz. So your money is still going to the company you're campaigning against.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:54 pm Reply with quote
vanishingblood wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
vanishingblood wrote:

Shueisha's not the problem, they create it and release it uncensored (in the tankobon at least). The Shueisha people do not micromanage everything Viz does. It's the employees at Viz who decided to disrespect art. Am I a good adoptive parent if I ban the child from my house but let them live at a friend's? My view is that my $13 goes to Seven Seas, whom I know will not then use it to commit atrocities like censorship. If you want to believe any and all money spent on a Shueisha product inevitably ends up in Viz's pocket, that's your problem.

Shueisha removes two chapters of Ayakashi Triangle from their App that isn't controlled by Viz, and yes they still get the money because they share the title with Seven Sea (I should have said it better). I don't get why you throw shade at Viz, I would be happy getting Ayakashi Triangle tankobon. You make it sound good vs evil when it is more nuanced than that. Like I said before, Viz could have just sat on the rights since they owned the English release (they still releasing chapters on their app). Seven Seas didn't ride in and save the day
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:19 pm Reply with quote
It seems contradictory to me that fans are now praising Seven Seas as some radical anti censorship champions when a year ago these same fans were ready to bring out the pitchforks against Seven Seas over censorship in their light novel translations. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-02-17/seven-seas-addresses-mushoku-tensei-classroom-of-the-elite-light-novel-localization-changes/.169582
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:49 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
vanishingblood wrote:
I'm so relieved that a publishing It's the employees at Viz who decided to disrespect art. Am I a good adoptive parent if I ban the child from my house but let them live at a friend's? My view is that my $13 goes to Seven Seas, whom I know will not then use it to commit atrocities like censorship. If you want to believe any and all money spent on a Shueisha product inevitably ends up in Viz's pocket, that's your problem.

I don't imagine you'll be persuaded by this, but for the sake of anyone else reading this thread we should clear up a couple misconceptions:

1. It almost certainly wasn't Viz or anyone at the company who decided not to publish the 2 chapters in question. We know this because those chapters are also missing from Manga Plus, a service that Viz has no involvement with or control over. That service as owned by Shueisha and controlled by the Japanese side of the corporation, meaning somebody on that end most likely made the call on not releasing those chapters.
That's just an assumption, so I will explain why I assume it was Viz. I'm not creating an account to check Viz's digital release, but I'm gonna assume the Manga Plus and Viz translations are one and the same. I know that their Magu-chan translations are the same for example. Maybe when the simulpub was decided Shueisha said OK Viz you do the translation since you're getting the license anyway and we'll just put it on Manga Plus too. Then when these couple of chapters come out Viz says we're not translating and releasing these, that leaves Shueisha/Manga Plus without it too. Saying that Viz has no involvement or connection to Manga Plus is a large leap. At the least they obviously have a working/collaborative relationship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3