• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Launches 1st Italian Dubs With The Rising of the Shield Hero, My Dress-Up Darling,

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll began an initiative to create foreign-language dubs in August 2017 starting with Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese ...

If you are going to mention Brazilian Portuguese you should also say Latin Spanish to differentiate it from European Spanish.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:15 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
Crunchyroll began an initiative to create foreign-language dubs in August 2017 starting with Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese ...

If you are going to mention Brazilian Portuguese you should also say Latin Spanish to differentiate it from European Spanish.

Most of the other south countries speak latin spanish but brazilian Portuguese is that brazilian Portuguese as latin spanish is different from it as it is from spain and portugese is from Portugal. AS they are two different languages
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:25 am Reply with quote
Market expansion. Makes sense to me.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Most of the other south countries speak latin spanish but brazilian Portuguese is that brazilian Portuguese as latin spanish is different from it as it is from spain and portugese is from Portugal. AS they are two different languages

Crunchyroll produces dubs into Neutral Spanish for the hispanic-speaking latinamerican countries and Brazilian Portuguese for Brazil, but I'm not sure if they make dubs in European Spanish and Portuguese. I heard that the Neutral Spanish audio option is avaliable in CR's Spain app but I don't think they'll like those dubs due to the difference in dialect.
Speaking about the Italian dubs, I find it interesting just how many anime got dubbed into italian, I have some Italian ancestry so that's why I'm interested about it. I know that anime like Lupin III, Saint Seiya, Urusei Yatstura, Captain Tsubasa and Grendizer were popular there, but I heard Italy got many obscure shows that were never dubbed into other languages, especially for shows from the 70s to the 90s. I wonder how's the modern situtation regarding italian dubs
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
Momma mia!
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Crunchyroll produces dubs into Neutral Spanish for the hispanic-speaking latinamerican countries and Brazilian Portuguese for Brazil, but I'm not sure if they make dubs in European Spanish and Portuguese. I heard that the Neutral Spanish audio option is avaliable in CR's Spain app but I don't think they'll like those dubs due to the difference in dialect.
Speaking about the Italian dubs, I find it interesting just how many anime got dubbed into italian, I have some Italian ancestry so that's why I'm interested about it. I know that anime like Lupin III, Saint Seiya, Urusei Yatstura, Captain Tsubasa and Grendizer were popular there, but I heard Italy got many obscure shows that were never dubbed into other languages, especially for shows from the 70s to the 90s. I wonder how's the modern situtation regarding italian dubs

Hell,Italy is the only western country to have the classic Fist of The North Star anime completely dubbed(and all those movies and OVAs in the 2000's were dubbed there as well).France dubbed the first series,but never did the post-Raoh stuff(plus,it was an Abridged style dub...)
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Hell,Italy is the only western country to have the classic Fist of The North Star anime completely dubbed(and all those movies and OVAs in the 2000's were dubbed there as well).France dubbed the first series,but never did the post-Raoh stuff(plus,it was an Abridged style dub...)

Finally about time,hopefully Crunchyroll will add other Italian dubs for both old and new shows
FlyingOrange

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier considering it's one of Europe's biggest languages. I wonder if they'll start dubbing some of the other big languages in Europe or do ones from other parts of the world.
Fakerman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:23 am Reply with quote
about fkin time madonna cara
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
[...]

There is a huge manga/anime following here in Italy, and it started long ago. We basically know manga/anime from the beginning or so (Osamu Tezuka times).
Unfortunately, though, anime dubbing (and Italian dubbing in general) has worsened over time. I've switched to watching anime in Japanese with subs since when I started having access to the internet, around twenty years ago, and I won't ever look back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
There is a huge manga/anime following here in Italy, and it started long ago. We basically know manga/anime from the beginning or so (Osamu Tezuka times).
Unfortunately, though, anime dubbing (and Italian dubbing in general) has worsened over time. I've switched to watching anime in Japanese with subs since when I started having access to the internet, around twenty years ago, and I won't ever look back.

That's interesting to hear, here in Latin America we had some anime brought here in the late 70s early 80s like Candy Candy, Mazinger Z and Robotech, but it explode in popularity in the 90s with shows like Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and Pokémon. Anime dubbing varies in quality depending on the country where's made, I'd say the best quality dubbing is done in Mexico (it helps that voice actors work in everything from cartoons to live-action media), Venezuelan dubs were good but the quality has declined a lot there, Chilean dubs are fine, Argentina has improved a lot, Colombian dubs are passable at best, there used to be a lot of dubs made in Los Angeles but but not so much these days and dubs made in Miami are very controversial since they had very few actors and Funimation decided to dub MHA there with disastrous results, even people who like tend to like dubs couldn't say nice things about it. Lately there have been some dubs made in collaboration between countries
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:22 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

I found it strange that Crunchyroll hadn't even bothered to dub their stuff into European Spanish, considering that Spain is both an EU country and also a member of the NATO, and that without adding the fact that dubbing is mandatory by law there, compared with Latin America. through according with some Spaniard VAs, those laws are only appliable to older media like TV, theater releases and the like, but not streaming yet.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:03 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
I found it strange that Crunchyroll hadn't even bothered to dub their stuff into European Spanish, considering that Spain is both an EU country and also a member of the NATO, and that without adding the fact that dubbing is mandatory by law there, compared with Latin America. through according with some Spaniard VAs, those laws are only applicable to older media like TV, theatre releases and the like, but not streaming yet.

Several factors:
- Competition from companies in Spain in a sort of non-aggression pact: "you have the subs (many in just ES_LA ), we have the dubs", which is a big selling point.
- Crunchyroll is based in the Americas; managing a dubbing studio from so far is quite difficult.
And finally, at least years ago, the numbers of Crunchyroll in Spain were quite low, so its not profitable for them.

Also: dubbing is not mandatory. In every major city (or even little ones) you can watch foreign movies in their "original version" (what's known as V.O. or V.O.S.E).
CRE040295

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:42 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
[...]

Why many Italian anime, cartoons, video games, and other foreign media dubs went downhill in recent years?
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:28 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Several factors:
- Competition from companies in Spain in a sort of non-aggression pact: "you have the subs (many in just ES_LA ), we have the dubs", which is a big selling point.
- Crunchyroll is based in the Americas; managing a dubbing studio from so far is quite difficult.
And finally, at least years ago, the numbers of Crunchyroll in Spain were quite low, so its not profitable for them.

Also: dubbing is not mandatory. In every major city (or even little ones) you can watch foreign movies in their "original version" (what's known as V.O. or V.O.S.E).

I forgot to mention that not all of the anime available on Funimation and Crunchyroll are dubbed into Neutral Spanish. CR began adding dubs for anime like Saint Seiya and Elfen Lied in 2016, but those were made previously for television, it wasn't until late 2017 when they began producing their own Neutral Spanish dubs. Funimation, on the other hand, only began producing their own dubs when it arrived to the region in 2020. In total, Crunchyroll has produced over 78 Neutral Spanish dubs, all of them done in Mexico City, while Funimation has produced over 91 (57 made in Mexico City, 24 made in Cuernavaca, Mexico and 6 made in Miami with collaboration from actors from different countries). I don't know if CR is thinking about dubbing all those projects in Italian.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2