• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kanon DVD Released on Monday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit peeved they're releasing the DVD version of Kanon(2006) when there's a perfectly viable Blu-ray version back at home in Japan, as evidenced by the many excellent rips, and reviews(of the BD box set) out there. Granted, former Funimation didn't release that version either, but still... Sad

I would understand if we were talking about the 2002 version, but that one was never licensed, and pales in quality to the latter...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
@Blanchimont. You took the words out of my mouth. We are already in 2022, at the very least they should release in Blu-ray SD instead of DVD, because the discs are more durable and it is better to have the whole series in one disc instead of four (I ought to know because I own the funimation release). Funimation is no better, they re-released Witch Hunter Robin to DVD just a few years ago.

This is not the only series (whose master license is owned by funimation) that deserves a full high definition blu-ray re-release, Corpse Princess comes to mind and no doubt said list would fill entire pages of this forum.
Alphonae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I still like my dvd.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:29 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
@Blanchimont. You took the words out of my mouth. We are already in 2022, at the very least they should release in Blu-ray SD instead of DVD, because the discs are more durable and it is better to have the whole series in one disc instead of four (I ought to know because I own the funimation release).

Kanon 2006 was produced in HD so that would have been a bad idea, especially for a company (or for that matter, an entire country) who never tried it..

Quote:
Funimation is no better, they re-released Witch Hunter Robin to DVD just a few years ago.

This I agree with, I still can't believe they released the 1997 Mach Go Go Go series on DVDs in that Speed Racer LE head when Japan was releasing the show on SD Blu-ray at around the same time.

There are also other shows they have that Japan released on SD Blu-ray in recent years including early One Piece and some of the 2000s Gonzo shows.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:22 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Funimation is no better, they re-released Witch Hunter Robin to DVD just a few years ago.

This is not the only series (whose master license is owned by funimation) that deserves a full high definition blu-ray re-release, Corpse Princess comes to mind and no doubt said list would fill entire pages of this forum.

Witch Hunter Robin, like many of those rescued Sunrise shows, never had a Blu-Ray release in Japan, so it's not surprising that Funi wouldn't be able to release one either. I'm not as concerned about these early/mid-00s DVD-only shows as I am about the late-00s and 2010s shows that suffered the same fate. Such as the aforementioned Corpse Princess, Sacred Blacksmith, Red Data Girl, and Seiyuu's Life.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:51 am Reply with quote
Thank god there are other ways to watch it besides on hoary old dvds.........!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1