• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jump+ Aims to Release All New Manga Series Simultaneously in English After 2023

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphonae

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, first release the ecchi titles. For some reason they're all, except for Ayakashi Triangle are not there on Manga Plus. Kill Me is available, though only in Spanish.
Alphonae

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:
Well, first release the ecchi titles. For some reason they're all, except for Ayakashi Triangle are not there on Manga Plus. Kill Me is available, though only in Spanish.

Well that sentence was a mess, grammatically speaking. Does anyone know who to edit?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Its' a cool idea but in the end this does slow down JP releases. There's no real reason to make JP audiences wait for EN translations
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote
This is really great news but I'm sad that it won't include anything from this year, I've really been wanting to read Camellia no Curtain. Maybe because it doesn't have that many chapters yet they'll add it anyway?
merr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Its' a cool idea but in the end this does slow down JP releases. There's no real reason to make JP audiences wait for EN translations

I don’t think that’s a given. This could just require adjusting their processes so that translators have earlier access to materials. It’s not as if the manuscript goes straight to print the moment the author finishes it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
A worthy goal to strive for!
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Certainly an improvement but considering it's all new manga series, existing series on Jump+ will not be part of this right?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:07 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Certainly an improvement but considering it's all new manga series, existing series on Jump+ will not be part of this right?

They added three existing Jump+ series last week, one in April, and two in February. I'd guess they will continue adding existing Jump+ series (at least popular ones) over time. Possibly after the recently added titles are caught up, since the most recent three are releasing two chapters per week (the ones in February released two per week and caught up in April, and Oshi no Ko is currently releasing four per week).
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:32 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I don’t think that’s a given. This could just require adjusting their processes so that translators have earlier access to materials. It’s not as if the manuscript goes straight to print the moment the author finishes it.

There are a number of Jump+ series that have been simulpubbing in English for years, and it has not, by any measure, affected the release of anything in Japan. Which, well, why would it? I don't really know where Kougeru got the idea that translating releases for other countries would cause a delay of a series' release in Japan.

What I'm skeptical about is how the actual translations for these titles will hold up. Anything unique to MangaPLUS seems to get translated by companies like Media DO or Medibang, and the results are super inconsistent. Sometimes they're fine, more or less on par with the translation work done by Viz on the mainline Jump series. But other times they can be barely readable or outright awful, and with how some of Shueisha's execs have spoken about using machine translation, I can't help but think more than a few of these titles will get some real crap treatment.
DJGoodNews

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, here at Kodansha, we're excited to announce we're still not doing shit.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
This article's title "After 2023" makes it sound like it won't happen in full until 2024, but the article itself explains it should be beginning in 2023.
I also have concerns about translation quality. I am very glad there is the desire in Japan to offer all future J+ series in English simultaneously, but MangaPlus' translation contracts are as stated above often less than acceptable. It would be awesome if Viz would step up and go ahead and use their translators for all future J+ titles. They certainly have the money to afford it.
Q4000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:55 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I also have concerns about translation quality. I am very glad there is the desire in Japan to offer all future J+ series in English simultaneously, but MangaPlus' translation contracts are as stated above often less than acceptable. It would be awesome if Viz would step up and go ahead and use their translators for all future J+ titles. They certainly have the money to afford it.

As much as I'd like Viz, using them would lock the entire catalog from being readily accessible because of their licensing agreements. The titles M+ themselves provide translations for have all chapters available to read and reread, those that use Viz don't. That may change in the future though as they may be looking into a paid service (going by the recent in-app survey).
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:42 am Reply with quote
It would be great if they could do something similar with their shojo manga. Oh wait, they don't like licensing shojo manga for translations anymore do they...
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:53 am Reply with quote
Several issues:
1. You (ANN) keep on saying in every piece about Manga Plus that
Quote:
While MANGA Plus is free to download and use, users can also purchase compiled book volumes for specific manga. The first chapter and the latest chapter of currently serialized manga are also free

Well, it's not true: it is NOT possible to purchase volumes. The first three and the last three chapters (at least) are free to read and more with the latest "free to read every chapter once of every open series" campaign.
2. As someone said, Manga Plus releases do not mean delaying the Japanese ones, it hasn't happened before and it won't happen then.
3. VIZ Media translations are not superior to MediaBang from what I have read and, if anything, Viz's are too much US-themed (dollars, miles, ºF…) for a global audience.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

It could be a way of cutting down on leaks and piracy. Currently, copies of the print edition get scanned and uploaded (by store employee and such) a few days before the official release date, and those scans then get translated into other languages, which is why pirated releases have come out before the legal digital versions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2