• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action One Piece Series Reveals 6 Cast Members, Behind-the-Scenes Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope they cast someone I recognize at some point. Only cast member I knew beforehand was Mackenyu.

Casting looks fine overall but just need to see them in costume.
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I hope they cast someone I recognize at some point.

This is exactly what they should avoid. Casting actors for the sake of recognition and marketing is rarely a good thing.
olgita

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:29 pm Reply with quote
After Netflix Cowboy Bebop I have no hope for this show. We're gonna see if they'll prove me wrong.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
They are clearly spending a lot of money on this. Physical boats are not a simple task. Stretching powers are so notoriously difficult to do people are questioning if Marvel can pull them off for a Fantastic Four movie. If this bombs, expect Netflix to be forced to cancel a lot of niche programming to make up the deficit.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
The only hope I have for this show is that probably it will get cancelled like Netflix Bebop. Even if it gets renewed for a 2nd one, Netflix is not gonna make the commitment of adapting the whole story, which would obviously take more that the usual two seasons at Netflix, so there's that hope and a consolation that this will be put to death sooner rather than later.

I do love Iñaki Godoy's energy, though.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
The only hope I have for this show is that probably it will get cancelled like Netflix Bebop. Even if it gets renewed for a 2nd one, Netflix is not gonna make the commitment of adapting the whole story, which would obviously take more that the usual two seasons at Netflix, so there's that hope and a consolation that this will be put to death sooner rather than later.

True. Even if it is successful this will only last 3 or 4 seasons max which is nowhere near the amount of time to cover the entire story, even at a breakneck pace.

Some of the casting looks ok, like Mihawk, but overall it's not great. I'll give them points for actually building practical sets rather than making everything CG but I don't see this working out. Maybe not as bad as Cowboy Bebop but there's no doubt going to be a lot of compromises and changes made for western sensibilities.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
People just need to keep their expectations in check.

I'm super curious to see what this show looks like cause I can't even imagine how you pull off One Piece in live action.
Artemis X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:49 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

I'm super curious to see what this show looks like cause I can't even imagine how you pull off One Piece in live action.

Its called Pirates of the Carribean. It CAN be done in the right hands. These movies were amazing, had just the right ammount of humor, extravigant sets and large scale action pieces with great characters and humor.

I think more so the issue is we live an era of such identity representation and western sensibilities that taking something of Japan origin is going to be difficult to come across this generation. I think its ultimatly why Cowboy Bebop failed, not beacuse of the sets or the fight cheorgraphy, because every actor acted like they were not part of that world. It felt disconnected and some of the cheesiness and lame jokes were off putting. In a way to much campiness and protrayal of western culture, ruined it. If you ever look at alot of asian cinema, its drastically different to western film in how its thematically protrayed. Karatee kid for example is probably the best example of taking something of asien influence and doing it justice with out it being represented like a bunch of clowns on the screen trying to whitewash there way on the screen
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
The sets look great. Too bad it's probably still going to suck.

I mean, the Bebop looked pretty good in the live-action CB, but that didn't stop the show itself from being terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

What do you mean "keep their expectations in check"???

If you're gonna adapt One Piece to live action, you gotta adapt the inherent wackiness of the show, the weirdness of most of the characters and the amount of worldbuilding expected from such an interconnected story in the source material. If you're adapting such a layered story in a mediocre way in the name of "being grounded" as Netflix is most of the time bound to do, then your product is gonna fail and fans of the source material are gonna hate it.

So, no, no one can expect to keep their expectations in check, because by adapting a product like One Piece, Netflix is promising an adaptation that could be as great in scope as the manga, and we all know Netflix adaptations are more misses than hits, so people already know beforehand the product is gonna fail.

Artemis X wrote:
I think more so the issue is we live an era of such identity representation and western sensibilities that taking something of Japan origin is going to be difficult to come across this generation. I think its ultimatly why Cowboy Bebop failed, not beacuse of the sets or the fight cheorgraphy, because every actor acted like they were not part of that world. It felt disconnected and some of the cheesiness and lame jokes were off putting. In a way to much campiness and protrayal of western culture, ruined it. If you ever look at alot of asian cinema, its drastically different to western film in how its thematically protrayed. Karatee kid for example is probably the best example of taking something of asien influence and doing it justice with out it being represented like a bunch of clowns on the screen trying to whitewash there way on the screen

Cultural appropiation is not even remotely the problem with this adaptation. One Piece feels pretty universal not only in its themes, but with its characters, so there's no issue there. The main problem with this adaptation as most people here are aware, is that Netflix adaptations tend to be cost-cutting rehashes of the source material's stories without their inherent weirdness nor the appeal that made them so popular in the first place, only because they want to appeal to a much broader audience than the source material's and failing when they don't appeal to anyone. One Piece is just too iconic and recognizable for Netflix's methods.

Last edited by The Not so Chosen One on Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Despite the casting looking pretty solid imo and the fact that they clearly are spending money on this show, I can't help but not have a ton of faith in it since 1) it just seems like a wildly difficult choice of adaptation into live-action and 2) I don't believe Netflix will actually give it more than a season or two. I honestly kinda feel bad that I still can't get on-board despite some promising choices.

Those sets look pretty cool too, its almost a shame that they'll have to be torn down once the series wraps. They'd make a cool little tourist spot kinda like what Disney did with the Flying Dutchman at one of their private island spots.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this going to be Dragon Ball: Evolution again, I can't see One Piece being live-action, being in the real world takes away everything that is good about One Piece. I could see it working if they didn't make it about the Straw Hats and have it about the Marines since the Marines are way more down to earth than anyone in the Straw Hat crew
Beside, Netflix has already failed with two series that would have been great in live-action (Cowboy Bebop and Death Note)
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not optimistic either tbh, considering the reactions to it right now.

But I'm sure I'll like it, as I loved Netflix Bebop too. Oh well.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:

Its called Pirates of the Carribean. It CAN be done in the right hands. These movies were amazing, had just the right ammount of humor, extravigant sets and large scale action pieces with great characters and humor.

The third pirates movie was the most expensive movie ever made when it came out in 2007. It CAN be done, with enough cash. Netflix won't sink that much into this.

Artemis X wrote:

How much of this paragraph is based on the actors having pronouns next to their names? Cowboy Bebop seemed to have good intentions and was ultimately a bad show, but a lot of people just wanted to hate it before it even came out(because it was being done at all, because of trite costume changes, etc). "wEsTeRn cULtUrE iS bAd" is a boring excuse for a show/adaption not doing well, even if, in the case of One Piece, it's probably going to be dogshit. But more because adapting this world into live action is going to be downright goofy(and not in the way it needs to be), and not necessarily because it's being adapted by/for Westerners.
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote
olgita wrote:
After Netflix Cowboy Bebop I have no hope for this show. We're gonna see if they'll prove me wrong.

Yep. this adaptation is already doomed to be a failure because it's being done by the exact same people who did the coyboy bepop adaptation that got cancelled 2 weeks after release.
they didn't even take the time to process or try to figure out what they did wrong. I wouldn't even be surprised if they believe there was nothing wrong with it.

this adaptation will be no different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4