• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Serious Condition After Being Shot

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:18 am Reply with quote
Wasnt a fan of the guy, but this is scary stuff. You never see this kind of crime in Japan. If he dies, I can only imagine what the response will be.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:29 am Reply with quote
An actual assassination of a former leader of a major economic power? This is going to haunt Japan for years. Absolutely unbelievable and unjustified.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 am Reply with quote
He was unresponsive and had no vital signs at the scene. All this talk about cardiopulmonary arrest and whatnot, he's probably already deader than a doornail.

Last edited by Allison Addams on Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:10 am; edited 2 times in total
catone2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:45 am Reply with quote
Been awful to read about this. I am really hoping he pulls through but he's probably already passed.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:46 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
If he dies, I can only imagine what the response will be.

Unfortunately I think he already is given the nature of the gun, attack, and proximity. Japan's reporting on death is a bit restrictive in that only doctors can pronounce people dead and not EMTs or other professions. Being taken to the hospital "with no vital signs" is a very common wording you see in the news in Japan. I personally hope things are different but I'm dreading the worse here.

As for the response... I don't even know where to start. On the bottom of the totem pole I'm predicting Lycoris Recoil is getting shelved indefinitely, along with any other show, game, or other media that could have parallels drawn to assassinations and hitmen. In the much bigger scale, Abe was a well respected and influential figure in Japan. Even if he was no longer PM he had a lot of power and influence. Something like this is foundation shaking, especially when an election was planned for this weekend.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:52 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Wasnt a fan of the guy, but this is scary stuff. You never see this kind of crime in Japan. If he dies, I can only imagine what the response will be.

It will be huge even if he survives. The fact that the attacker used a gun, which is very hard to obtain in Japan, will probably lead to a lot of political fallout over public safety, and possible new laws.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:48 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The fact that the attacker used a gun, which is very hard to obtain in Japan, will probably lead to a lot of political fallout over public safety, and possible new laws.

According to several news sources, it was a self-made sawed off shotgun.
Kabuby 77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:08 am Reply with quote
In the US with the second amendment, everyone can own a weapon, and as a result one in ten president has been assassinated.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:50 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
The fact that the attacker used a gun, which is very hard to obtain in Japan, will probably lead to a lot of political fallout over public safety, and possible new laws.

According to several news sources, it was a self-made sawed off shotgun.

Given the legal response to the (still arguably recent) Kyoto Animation arson, I can think Wyvern is right to suspect that some sort of new laws will result from this attack. Especially given that, as beloved as KyoAni may be, none of their staff were the former (and longest-serving) PM.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:27 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:

As for the response... I don't even know where to start. On the bottom of the totem pole I'm predicting Lycoris Recoil is getting shelved indefinitely, along with any other show, game, or other media that could have parallels drawn to assassinations and hitmen.

Imagine a lot of Nice Boats
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:50 am Reply with quote
Any information on the killers motive?
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:34 am Reply with quote
He passed away Sad
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:36 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
v1cious wrote:
If he dies, I can only imagine what the response will be.

Unfortunately I think he already is given the nature of the gun, attack, and proximity. Japan's reporting on death is a bit restrictive in that only doctors can pronounce people dead and not EMTs or other professions. Being taken to the hospital "with no vital signs" is a very common wording you see in the news in Japan. I personally hope things are different but I'm dreading the worse here.

As for the response... I don't even know where to start. On the bottom of the totem pole I'm predicting Lycoris Recoil is getting shelved indefinitely, along with any other show, game, or other media that could have parallels drawn to assassinations and hitmen. In the much bigger scale, Abe was a well respected and influential figure in Japan. Even if he was no longer PM he had a lot of power and influence. Something like this is foundation shaking, especially when an election was planned for this weekend.

Violent video games have been a no-no in Japan for a long time now(compare the violence level of the Resident Evil games in Japan with the versions released in the rest of the world.),who knows how they will handle video games there now after this...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:29 pm Reply with quote
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1