• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Transformers Get Cute Anime Girl Makeover

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:55 am Reply with quote
Transformers and anime girls have an...interesting relationship.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:07 am Reply with quote
Jobby The Hong was already doing this before it was cool lol
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:22 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

American girls love them just as much

Megatron looks great but not a super fan of this Optimus. Optimus should be more regal and ojou-y like Megatron. A spunky genki girl mechanic would be more like Wheeljack
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
I love that this happened as soon as IDW lost the license. Art looks pretty good, focused more on unique personality than just T&A.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

We do not speak of that which has no name because it never happened.

Never.

Happened. Evil or Very Mad
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:55 am Reply with quote
OwOptimus Pwaifu
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:21 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Jobby The Hong was already doing this before it was cool lol

BUT JOBBY--!!
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I love it! Practical yet sexy is great for Optimus, who is absolutely not a princess type, that's clearly perfect for legendary chunibyo wannabe ojou Starscream, whose design I cannot wait to see Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I shouldn't love this idea, but it totally works for some reason. Megatron looks so badass.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Lo Wang wrote:
Hasbro needs to give up on shilling Transformers to Japanese Otaku and focus on the west. Outside of niche groups and the big franchises, mecha is pretty much DOA. They only care for waifus, Iseki and hate anything that requires more than a few seconds of thought.

I mean, the high-end Masterpiece figures are made by Takara and come exclusively in Japanese packaging, not to mention the plethora of 3rd party figures and exclusive variants that come out of China and Japan There's absolutely a market in Japan given the franchises history of Japanese toylines like Diaclone and Japanese-exclusive anime and sequel series. Secondly, do you really think there's no market for these kinds of things in the west? Anime figures are big in America and Hasbro did these kinds of figures for other franchises as well like My Little Pony and G.I. Joe. Even Marvel and DC do Bishoujo line statues and figures of their characters. They sell. I'm a western Transformers fan myself and these interest me greatly. Waifu pandering and sex appeal have always been a part of Transformers despite what some people like to complain about whenever a new sexy Arcee or Windblade figure gets announced. Even the mainstream-appealing live-action films were in on it enough to cast actresses like Megan Fox and Hailee Steinfeld and capitalize on the concept.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Lo Wang wrote:
Hasbro needs to give up on shilling Transformers to Japanese Otaku and focus on the west. Outside of niche groups and the big franchises, mecha is pretty much DOA. They only care for waifus, Iseki and hate anything that requires more than a few seconds of thought. These figure also depict women are too old for their tastes.

How to say "I know absolutely nothing about anime" without actually saying "I know absolutely nothing about anime". I mean seriously, you cannot possibly actually follow seasonal anime and still believe such unhinged nonsense.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:18 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

How to say "I know absolutely nothing about anime" without actually saying "I know absolutely nothing about anime". I mean seriously, you cannot possibly actually follow seasonal anime and still believe such unhinged nonsense.

I was going to pour some cold water on his take but yeah I don’t get where he’s getting his logic and rationale which actually contradicts itself at points.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:52 am Reply with quote
I think the fact that the Optimus and Megatron orders were strong enough that they’re already planning a Bumblebee girl is proof there was a demand.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:15 am Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
Megatron looks great but not a super fan of this Optimus. Optimus should be more regal and ojou-y like Megatron. A spunky genki girl mechanic would be more like Wheeljack

You really don't get Optimus Prime at all if you think that's what his female form would be like. He's always considered himself ground level, a leader in name but not at all superior, somebody that started from the bottom and was called to the top, not born there. This design isn't based on a mechanic, if it were she'd be carrying a toolbox, not a briefcase, have a toolbelt and probably be wearing coveralls. This design is more like that of a female trucker (in the cartoon he started as a loading dock worker and obviously turns into a truck) with a briefcase (in some comics he was a data clerk). It suits him well.

But they should really do Whirl, his female form is the best! Laughing But seriously, it's the best suited for Bishoujo as far as the IDW designs go.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anne F

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:18 am Reply with quote
Both Optimus and Megatron are so cute and pretty! I told my husband the day before Kotobukiya announced more that I would buy Soundwave if they made him because Soundwave was his fave growing up. Now I get to! Lol

I do hope this means they'll continue to touch other western 80's properties because I really want them to do Jem and the Holograms figures!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2