• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Mew Mew New (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:19 am Reply with quote

Season 1: Tokyo Mew Mew New (TV)
Season 2: Tokyo Mew Mew New (TV 2)

Source: Manga (completed @ 7 volumes, written by Reiko Yoshida, illustrated by Mia Ikumi)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio:
Yumeta Company
Graphinica

Genres: comedy, fantasy romance, science fiction

Themes: magical girl

Plot Summary: The scientists of the μ(Mew) Project use DNA of endangered species to create a team of heroines imbued with amazing super-human abilities. One of them, Ichigo Momomiya, awakens to discover she is armed with all the skills of a Iriomote cat. Ichigo must band together with other Mew Mew girls to repel an alien incursion, all the while hiding their thrilling double lives from friends and family. (Source: Sentai Filmworks)

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: July 6, 2022 (Wednesday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Season 2: April 4, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 12 episodes
Season 2: Pending

Total: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:05 am Reply with quote
Some people seem to like this okay. But I gave it three episodes and it's very lackluster and inferior to the 2002 anime in every way from my POV. I especially dislike the duller colors and new character design. But there is something else that is really really off. I am not emotionally invested in what any of the characters say or do...it's quite strange.

On the other hand, it's given me a new love for the 2002 anime and I can't wait to watch more of that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I never saw the original but I'm enjoying this one okay enough. It's not setting my world on fire, but then again I'm not a huge magical girl fan, especially for titles like this one where things are played straight as opposed to twisted like PMMM. But yeah, I can see why someone might not be too hot on it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
As an extreme magical girl enthusiast, I WANTED IT TO BE GOOD, MAN. Anime cry

I did get excited when they announced it.

But us Mew Mew fans thought it was going to be an animated version of the new manga. That would at least be interesting. But....no, they're just rehashing the 20-year-old story all over again....and badly. Confused
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Will the English dub of the reboot be better than the dub by 4kids Entertainment?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:41 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Will the English dub of the reboot be better than the dub by 4kids Entertainment?

That's such a low bar that an ant couldn't even play limbo with it. Laughing

So I'm gonna go with "Yes, it most definitely will." At the very least, we can expect the characters to keep their original Japanese names and not crappy American ones that don't even make any sense for them.

I mean....naming Ichigo Zoey!? Are you freaking kidding me.....why the actual F**** would you give her that stupid name!? It doesn't suit her at all!!

Even the unholy first dub of Sailor Moon kept Usagi's name close to "Serenity"...good lord. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1