• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Phantom of the Idol Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't planning to follow the show at first, but I ended up enjoying it much more than I expected I would. Overall, I think this show is more than the sum of its parts. I mostly agree with the reviews, the animation is mediocre at best and the fangirls overstayed their welcome in some scenes. That said, I will say that the scenes with the fangirls made me, the viewer, feel like I'm a part of ZINGS' fandom and that made a huge difference in how I approach the show. Towards the end of the series, I'm rooting for ZINGS' as if I'm one of their fans, together with my fellow fans at a concert, which made the show much more enjoyable to me. How well this would work depends on 1) how much one could relate to the fangirls and 2) how likeable one finds ZINGS, especially Niyodo, are. On the one hand, the fangirls are a bit too loud for me mostly, but I also understood their passion, and hence don't mind them as much. On the other, Niyodo really grew on me as the show progresses and I was moved by his speech at the end of the penultimate episode. All in all, it's not a show I'm likely to recommend to others but I had a damn fine time with it. Hopefully we'll get to see more of the manga animated in the future.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Though I usually agree with Rebecca's takes on things, I'm afraid I must part company with her on the fan girls. They absolutely made the series for me, and I looked forward to their bits every episode. Their ability to rationalize every quirk and oddity of Yuuya's on-stage persona reminded me of how all the Nazarick minions do the same for Ainz in Overlord.

The episode about the calendar shoot was especially hilarious for how life-threatening the cosplay was for them. Just swapping outfits - which looked pretty identical to me in the first place - was enough to cause coronaries. They could easily have been made into a mean-spirited joke, but it felt like the staff had enough affection and empathy for them that it allowed them to be a highlight for me. Even the cafe staff added to that humor.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Based on the first half only, I agree with Gina's take on the fangirls and the role they play in the series. They aren't a detriment to me.

I fell behind on this one, so I had been waffling over whether or not to finish it out once other titles started to wrap for the season. Sound like it's not a big extra time commitment for a decent pay-off, so I think I'll give it a try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Gina and Key about the fangirls. They were a lot of fun.

I loved this show. I think it had a nice balance of comedy and emotional moments, and the last couple episodes brought really heartwarming and satisfying conclusions to Yuya and Asahi's character arcs (for this season).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:25 am Reply with quote
I used to never watch male idol shows, but this was the second in two seasons that I found really enjoyable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1