• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Charade Maniacs Visual Novel Heads West for Switch in Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anpansparking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Not one I'm interested in, but I know it has been highly requested, so good for the people who are excited about it.

Idea Factory did apparently tick off a lot of people with the stream starting off with like an hour of static and ending with only one announcement.
Toyokaaaa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Another otome that underperformed in Japan and got mixed reviews got localized? Not surprised.
IFI was always a shady company, glad the stream reminded some fans about their terrible ethics.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Of course it'll come to the West because it's otome but there are countless Bishoujo VN's that stay locked to Japan. Pretty much anything published by Entergram or MAGES (outside of SciAdv titles).
Toyokaaaa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:04 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Of course it'll come to the West because it's otome but there are countless Bishoujo VN's that stay locked to Japan. Pretty much anything published by Entergram or MAGES (outside of SciAdv titles).

Tbf otome games were barely translated compared to bishoujos till Otomate and IdeaFactory decided to branch out.
anpansparking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:12 am Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:

While it's better than it used to be, there are plenty of otome that don't make it to the west. Anything by Rejet or Ruby Party, for example, as well as a good portion of Otomate's catalogue (someone please license Shinobi Koi Utsutsu). And until recently, we were basically completely out of luck if we wanted something light hearted with an emphasis on romance over plot
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:

Otome game fans had to fight to even get this many games licensed, and even then it's hardly any games and they're often given pretty lousy/badly QC'd translations. An otome game coming to the West is not an "of course" matter. But if otome games prove to sell maybe a path can open for bishoujo VNs, who knows.
For now let's just be grateful otome even get official translations at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1