• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Aim for the Ace!, GaoGaiGar Series & Final OVA

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redvelvetdoll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Of all the things they talked about, I'm definitely buying Saint Tail, Saiyuki Reload Burial, and Ghost Stories.

Now I've admittedly never seen Mononoke, but was that Chris Patton as the Medicine Seller in that brief line from the trailer? They said they didn't have a cast list but I immediately thought it was him
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:06 pm Reply with quote
We’re getting SUBBED DIGIMON ADVENTURE?! Praise be!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I hate to sound spoiled by an abundance of riches, but this is almost too much Discotek. There are times I'm worried they're over-saturating a relatively small market for niche/older anime releases. Lord knows I have far more things on my wishlist from them than I'd ever feasibly be able to own, and more recently a few of their titles have dropped out-of-print with seemingly no warning, including a few that were only out for a year or two.

That being said...holy crap GaoGaiGar?!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping for new Lupin news. And I'm sure the Kodocha fans are getting impatient.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Discotek delivering with the sub releases of classic anime and more new classics! I mean, Saint Tail, Digimon Adventure, and GaoGaiGar!?
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:40 pm Reply with quote
redvelvetdoll wrote:
Of all the things they talked about, I'm definitely buying Saint Tail, Saiyuki Reload Burial, and Ghost Stories.

Now I've admittedly never seen Mononoke, but was that Chris Patton as the Medicine Seller in that brief line from the trailer? They said they didn't have a cast list but I immediately thought it was him

Whoever it is isn't Andrew Francis, who voiced the Medicine Seller in Ayakashi.

The only Mononoke dub I know of was produced in Hong Kong a few years ago. It seems to have been commissioned by The Japan Foundation, as they distributed the show to a few of their overseas English-language broadcast partners. A lot of those dubs were produced in North America, but they funded a dub of Chibi Maruko-chan (which is officially available on YouTube) that was also done in Hong Kong.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
Pre-ordering Digimon Adventure (subbed) and Shaman King (subbed) as soon as the links go up.

I'm loving this trend of Discotek licensing 4Kids and Saban titles and finally giving them the legal subbed releases they've always deserved. Hope there's more on the way. I'd love to see the original Tokyo Mew Mew or Ojamajo Doremi get a release.

Last edited by 1dbad on Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
Genuinely a little surprised to see subbed Digimon Adventure get a timeframe so quickly considering there's still no word on subbed Medabots years later. Pity that Toei refused to let any American releases use anything but stock art when there's so much nice art to pull from, the WIP version is pretty lackluster. Little confused why it sounds like they're doing a new translation when the Crunchyroll seemed like a great one already, but hope it turns out good.

I bet the whole team celebrated hard when they finally nabbed Sonic X subbed and didn't have to hear that request anymore.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:16 am Reply with quote
Treasure Island is my favourite anime of all time, and it's going to be great to finally see it in Japanese. I was sure that it'd come one day, so I have to say I'm still a little more excited about Aim for the Ace! because I haven't seen it yet.

A bummer about no Lupin news, but like they said, this has been a fantastic year for Lupin, so can't complain.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:37 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Pre-ordering Digimon Adventure (subbed) and Shaman King (subbed) as soon as the links go up.

I'm loving this trend of Discotek licensing 4Kids and Saban titles and finally giving them the legal subbed releases they've always deserved. Hope there's more on the way. I'd love to see the original Tokyo Mew Mew or Ojamajo Doremi get a release.

Same, though more especially on the original TMM more. However, I'm practically thinking Sentai might also pick up the original, considering they have "New", but I'd rather that Discotek gets it so that they can have both (seperate) audio versions. Either way, there's not much FoxBox/4Kids titles left, so these, and especially Kirby: RBAY and F-Zero: GP Legend will hopefully get a stateside release one day.

But yeah, I'm just happy that Ultimate Muscle and GaoGaiGar gets their dues. Along with at least, a release month for Virtua Fighter.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:59 am Reply with quote
Treasure Island!!?? Let's gooooooooo!!

And Fist of the North Star remake with a dub? I am SO IN on this!
I'm also curious what this very unknown dub is for Mononoke.

Might also get Aim for the Ace. I haven't seen it yet but I'm pretty sure I'll like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:04 am Reply with quote
Will be getting Kamen Rider Black and Saint Tail. I wonder if ST will have all the original theme songs. The TokyoPop DVDs only had the first OP and first ED songs for the entire series, like the Philippine English dub.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:41 am Reply with quote
I've always asked for Saint Tail whenever Discotek has taken license requests so I'm really glad it's finally coming out. I remember reading some of the flipped single issues of the manga back in my late middle school/early high school days and really enjoyed it but never got to see the anime. I'm also glad Digimon Adventure subbed is coming out soon and we finally have a release date of subbed Shaman King. I also didn't expect Discotek to get Kamen Rider Black. I'm most excited for Aim for the Ace, GaoGaiGar, Sonic X, Saint Tail, Mononoke, Tetsujin 28-go FX, Treasure Island, Kamen Rider Black, & more Project A-Ko. I'm also curious about the live action Another and that Golgo 13 movie.
lemurs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Was hoping for new Lupin news. And I'm sure the Kodocha fans are getting impatient.

According to the Q&A section at the end, Kodacha's taking a long time because it has a lot to translate. It's twice as dense with subtitles as a typical show.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:30 am Reply with quote
Lemurs: So another Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, basically. Oh, well...Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4