• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When did dubs increase in vocal acting quality?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I think, in my opinion, the increase of vocal acting quality in dubs might have to be around in the mid or late 90s when cartoons start being better in quality. When do you think the increase of vocal acting quality?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
There's always been dubs with good voice acting.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree with that statement that you said, What I don’t understand is that when some people say (including myself) that New York dubs (like 4kids) have top tier voice actings, it becomes a problem in the eyes of fans. To be honest, the only modern dubs that are worth watching to me are the Funimation redub of One Piece and DBZ and the VIZ (Studiopolis) redub of the 90s Sailor Moon anime. It’s so sad and heartbreaking that New York dubs and voice actors are getting too much hate and disrespect for no reason from fans and critics, all because of what 4kids did back in the 90s through early 2010s. But I still have a soft spot for the 4kids dubs of Pokémon, Yugioh (DM,GX, and 5Ds), Sonic, Kirby, Shaman King, and Winx Club. Rayearth OVA dub is still one of New York’s best dubs and for a magical girl anime (along side with the VIZ/Studiopolis redub of the 90s Sailor Moon anime).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I think by the late 90s to early 00s, the American dubbing scene had advanced to a level where you could pick a random dubbed series and get something that at the very least was "decent." There were great dubs before that time, and there were awful dubs after it, but the balance had shifted towards the quality side and never really went back. The LA scene in particular was extremely strong: you had talented studios like Animaze and New Generation Pictures putting out what are still held up as some of the best dubs of all time. I know Funimation had something of a mixed reputation in its earlier days, but their work on the original Fullmetal Alchemist was something of a watershed moment for them. Even the likes of ADV and Ocean were putting out some solid dubs. Fast-forward a couple of decades and it's an extremely rare thing now to encounter a dub that's straight-up awful.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:06 am Reply with quote
And here’s what I have heard. New York dubs sound more diverse than any dub from other regions. And New York voice actors are more talented than what people. Frankly, companies should invest in New York studios for English Dubs. Mostly for titles that they missed during the seasonal run or to lighten the load from Texas and/ or LA. There's talent in my homestate. Plus New York is non-union.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:43 am Reply with quote
@mgree0032

You are losing track of the practical aspect. Sentai is located in Texas as are the in house dubbing facilities Crunchyroll inherited from Funimation. As a result Texas talent will always be the go-to for dubbing for either company. That covers the vast bulk of the dubbing done these days. Other locations come into play only when their facilities are overloaded. The few other companies that do dubbing tend to use the facilities they are familiar with. New York seldom gets work simply because none of the current anime focused companies is located there. The epidemic had companies using odd facilities as a workaround but things have mostly returned to normal now
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:06 am Reply with quote
I’ve been binging a good bit of older anime during work the last few months and have to say I notice a big jump in quality around 2010.

Going back to 2005 and before I catch a lot more stereotypes in the voicing as well as more “overacting”. Just watched Black Lagoon for instance and it felt stilted and lane like a bad kids cartoon. Felt the same going back to Ghost in the Shell where it felt like someone was reading cue cards.

But 2010-2012 seems like the voices became more normalized and matched the characters better. Just my recent impression.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Funny, because "stilted" is about the last word that comes to mind when I think about Black Lagoon's dub. It's received pretty universal praise over the years.

As far as New York-based dubbing goes, there's NYAV Post, which was founded by noted voice actor Michael Sinterniklaas and has studios in both NY and LA. They've done a lot of recent high-profile work, particularly on films distributed by GKids.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:13 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
And here’s what I have heard. New York dubs sound more diverse than any dub from other regions. And New York voice actors are more talented than what people. Frankly, companies should invest in New York studios for English Dubs. Mostly for titles that they missed during the seasonal run or to lighten the load from Texas and/ or LA. There's talent in my homestate. Plus New York is non-union.

I like a lot of New York dubs as much as the next dub fan but there's plenty of diverse dubs made in other regions. Like plenty of LA dubs have BIPOC voice actors and even lots of TX dubs like Stranger in the Shore and Sasaki and Miyano have LGBTQIA+ dub actors in them. Canada has also produced tons of talented dubs over the years and even just recently made high quality dubs like the Dragon Quest Adventure of Dai dub.

There's nothing about New York voice actors that make them inherently more talented than other regions and there's been plenty of bad New York dubs. For every Slayers dub there's like ten more Utena dubs especially back in the old CPM days and I say this as someone who likes the campyness of the Utena dub but no one would argue it's a "good" dub. This isn't even getting into 4Kids discourse here. Also plenty of New York VAs have worked on LA dubs and also in TX dubs when Funimation was doing remote recording. A lot of New York talent like Veronica Taylor have also moved to LA in recent years for better job opportunities.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
There's nothing about New York voice actors that make them inherently more talented than other regions and there's been plenty of bad New York dubs. For every Slayers dub there's like ten more Utena dubs especially back in the old CPM days and I say this as someone who likes the campyness of the Utena dub but no one would argue it's a "good" dub.

I still believe in my opinion that Utena’s dub was and still is one of the better dubs of the 90s. I heard some people said that the Rayearth OVA’s dub by Skypilot Entertainment was almost an awesome improvement over the tv series dub done by Bang Zoom.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I think the 90s is when acceptable dubs were being produced at all (like, uncut dubs with good voice acting probably started with Ranma). The point at which it started to become commonplace for dubs to be more good than bad was probably when the big Toonami boom happened though.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Toonami still aired some bad dubs like the old dub of Sailor Moon, Nelvana Cardcaptors dub, and the ocean dub of DBZ. The introduction of Adult Swim back in 2001 might have increased the chances for both uncut and high quality dubs to work on TV.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:03 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
I’ve been binging a good bit of older anime during work the last few months and have to say I notice a big jump in quality around 2010. Going back to 2005 and before I catch a lot more stereotypes in the voicing as well as more “overacting”.... Ghost in the Shell where it felt like someone was reading cue cards....

I tend to agree, though there were very good dubs starting in the 1999-2001 region but they were more isolated. That is, a few good shows had good or at least nice dubs but they weren't the rule and gradually toward 2010 the quality improved broadly and was more the norm regardless of the show. I also noticed the same progression in the Japanese VAs emoting more and more appropriately relative to the character's actions and expressions. I always got a kick out of the "angry old guy" voices for all male characters regardless of age (especially the mid-teen guy character sounding like they a guy in thier '60s) but those days are long gone...
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I think it more to do with union dubs starting to appear during that era.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:04 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:

I still believe in my opinion that Utena’s dub was and still is one of the better dubs of the 90s. I heard some people said that the Rayearth OVA’s dub by Skypilot Entertainment was almost an awesome improvement over the tv series dub done by Bang Zoom.
If you're claiming that NY dubs are inherently more diverse than other dubs Anthy was literally voiced by a white woman in the Utena dub.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2