• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are there no redubs of poorly dubbed anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Some of the anime had a good dub and other had a bad dub, I think only One Piece, Sailor Moon, DBZ, and The Vision of Escaflowne got better treatment by another dubbing company like Funimation and Viz Media, I wonder why any companies never doing this anymore?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Probably because of the money it would cost, in addition to the nature of making enough cost-effective profits.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:18 pm Reply with quote
A demand for a new dub is kind of a necessity for this level of effort. Those are all fairly mainstream things, but something like Utena or Gash Bell are things where your average buyer will just wanna watch it in Japanese either way.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:49 am Reply with quote
It's mainly Discotek picking up old localized dubs at this point and they don't have the money and resources to do a full redub of long running TV shows. That's why they can redub the Digimon movies uncut which are short films but they can't say redub the entire original Adventure.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:54 am Reply with quote
Money. But tech will start to solve this in the coming years. Just be patient Wink
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
Money. But tech will start to solve this in the coming years. Just be patient Wink

If you're suggesting what you seem to be, how about no?

To the topic creator, it's all about the circumstances of each title, and as others have said the financial implications. One Piece and Sailor Moon are massively-popular properties that have rather infamously-edited dubs, so there was a clear financial benefit to releasing them in uncut form. More obscure series, or ones that were targeted at young children originally, won't have that same benefit. Out of the series you listed, I think there are many people who would disagree with Escaflowne receiving "better treatment," or even that the redub was remotely necessary in the first place. (Yes, I'm well-aware of the extended scenes in the first few episodes, but they amount to about 8 minutes' worth of largely-inconsequential content that could have been included as extras.)
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's mainly Discotek picking up old localized dubs at this point and they don't have the money and resources to do a full redub of long running TV shows. That's why they can redub the Digimon movies uncut which are short films but they can't say redub the entire original Adventure.

Or more likely, the dub was so beloved by fans and critics that it didn’t deserve a redub because it made it more popular in the states than in Japan.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Discotek has literally said the reason is money.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:27 pm Reply with quote
money on the dubs that have been completed with no missing episodes?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:43 pm Reply with quote
no. they cannot redub the Digimon TV series because it is too expensive to do so.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:07 am Reply with quote
or maybe because it wasn’t as heavily censored as other dubs for children back in the day.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:08 am Reply with quote
nope. Im not sure why you are having so much trouble understanding this, but like Cardcaptor Takato said earlier, the people at Discotek have stated that what's holding them back from a redub is that it's too expensive to do so
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1