×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Devil is a Part-Timer Season 3


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 12193
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
When the OP and ED have better and more lively animation than the actual show.

As much as I am a fan of the series, it just feels so...lifeless and unmemorable now, like the animation, direction, and characters are just coasting by. Especially in season 1. I'm not sure if it's just a material issue because I feel like the manga didn't have this problem, but I don't think they're doing it any favors in terms of adapting it into anime.

At least the voice acting is on point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 18290
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:17 pm Reply with quote
^
A lot of it is a source material issue. Fans of the novels largely regard the middle parts of the series as the weakest, and as someone who's read all of the novels, I at least partly agree; there's one arc in the middle (which may or may not be in this season, depending on how much they push the pace) that I did like, but the material to either side of that arc drags.

Part of the problem is the original author getting too absorbed in minutiae, but the other part is that the story struggles some to deal with the switch between Emi and Maou being openly and purely antagonistic (which is the most fun part) to a more complicated relationship. On the plus side, this part of the story does expand a lot more on the metaphysical structuring of the setting and throws out bigger chunks of the overall plot; the introduction of Erone in episode 14 is definitely part of both.

As for the humor elements? They are never as concentrated as in the first season but never completely go away, either, which can be both a plus and a minus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 12193
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
A lot of it is a source material issue. Fans of the novels largely regard the middle parts of the series as the weakest, and as someone who's read all of the novels, I at least partly agree; there's one arc in the middle (which may or may not be in this season, depending on how much they push the pace) that I did like, but the material to either side of that arc drags.

Part of the problem is the original author getting too absorbed in minutiae, but the other part is that the story struggles some to deal with the switch between Emi and Maou being openly and purely antagonistic (which is the most fun part) to a more complicated relationship. On the plus side, this part of the story does expand a lot more on the metaphysical structuring of the setting and throws out bigger chunks of the overall plot; the introduction of Erone in episode 14 is definitely part of both.

As for the humor elements? They are never as concentrated as in the first season but never completely go away, either, which can be both a plus and a minus.

That's probably the part of the show I'm most invested in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kuzu



Joined: 13 Sep 2019
Posts: 145
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess that's what happens when you solve the main conflict of the show before its conclusion. That antagonistic relationship between Maou and Emi is what supported the series in its subversion of typical Isekai cliches. By removing that, that's a large chunk of investment in the series gone.

I'm not saying that the series should have NEVER done anything with that, but maybe save that for the ending so that it wouldn't have to continue without the supporting chemistry of its two leads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 12193
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
Well I guess that's what happens when you solve the main conflict of the show before its conclusion. That antagonistic relationship between Maou and Emi is what supported the series in its subversion of typical Isekai cliches. By removing that, that's a large chunk of investment in the series gone.

I'm not saying that the series should have NEVER done anything with that, but maybe save that for the ending so that it wouldn't have to continue without the supporting chemistry of its two leads.

A part of me thinks the weakness has been focusing more on Chiho rather than on MaouxEmi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kuzu



Joined: 13 Sep 2019
Posts: 145
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:51 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Kuzu wrote:
Well I guess that's what happens when you solve the main conflict of the show before its conclusion. That antagonistic relationship between Maou and Emi is what supported the series in its subversion of typical Isekai cliches. By removing that, that's a large chunk of investment in the series gone.

I'm not saying that the series should have NEVER done anything with that, but maybe save that for the ending so that it wouldn't have to continue without the supporting chemistry of its two leads.

A part of me thinks the weakness has been focusing more on Chiho rather than on MaouxEmi.


Oh yea, series assumes I care way more about her than I actually do. This isn't even a shipping thing, but Chiho just isn't as fun or interesting of a character to carry a story like this. She's as plain Jane as they come.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gray Lensman



Joined: 17 Mar 2019
Posts: 145
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:12 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Kuzu wrote:
Well I guess that's what happens when you solve the main conflict of the show before its conclusion. That antagonistic relationship between Maou and Emi is what supported the series in its subversion of typical Isekai cliches. By removing that, that's a large chunk of investment in the series gone.

I'm not saying that the series should have NEVER done anything with that, but maybe save that for the ending so that it wouldn't have to continue without the supporting chemistry of its two leads.

A part of me thinks the weakness has been focusing more on Chiho rather than on MaouxEmi.


I wonder if that is to make certain things make more sense when we get to them...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SinisterOracle



Joined: 13 May 2023
Posts: 270
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
Hopefully the production issues aren’t going to be around for the entire season. This is one of my favorite shows and I feel like it’s definitely the worst season so far based on appearance and the story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 12193
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:52 pm Reply with quote
It feels kind of like the show is just going through the motions at this point. Stuff happens but it's just not very exciting, fun, or lively.

Like I think if this were season 1 they would've made that scene of Maou transforming and promoting capitalism after recruiting Suzuno and Emi way more epic and cool than it was here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Akcoll99



Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 243
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:18 am Reply with quote
It's funny, when I read through the novels the first time, I was totally rooting for Chiho to get her man. Emi was okay as a protagonist for Maou, but the idea of their hate turning to love didn't seem natural to me.

Now, watching the anime and experiencing the story for the second time, I find my opinion changing. They're trying to so hard to make Chiho a big part of the story, but nothing about her is all that important beyond being another cute girl in the show. Her "powers" are kind of useful...I guess? Whereas I am enjoying the Maou x Emi dynamic much more this go around. The futon shopping episode has been my favorite so far. It's been enough of a change to where I kind of hate that Chiho takes up so much of the show's attention...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everydaygamer





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
It's funny, when I read through the novels the first time, I was totally rooting for Chiho to get her man. Emi was okay as a protagonist for Maou, but the idea of their hate turning to love didn't seem natural to me.

Now, watching the anime and experiencing the story for the second time, I find my opinion changing. They're trying to so hard to make Chiho a big part of the story, but nothing about her is all that important beyond being another cute girl in the show. Her "powers" are kind of useful...I guess? Whereas I am enjoying the Maou x Emi dynamic much more this go around. The futon shopping episode has been my favorite so far. It's been enough of a change to where I kind of hate that Chiho takes up so much of the show's attention...


Chiho is such a weird character because she's fine in season one but as the series goes on you just start to question what she's even doing here. She doesn't contribute anything to the story and her entire character is comprised only of liking Maou and getting jealous when he dares to even acknowledge the existence of other girls.

I really don't understand why she is supposed to be the main girl despite the fact that most of the series is focused on Maou and Emi's relationship.
Back to top
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 12193
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny how Emi finding out her dad is alive is such a big deal but it's Maou, the person she blamed for his death, who is the first person to meet up with him.

More Rika content is very much appreciated. Not sure if they needed to expose themselves to her (because Chiho was in trouble for the umpteenth time), but this might help the RikaxAshiya ship.
everydaygamer wrote:
Chiho is such a weird character because she's fine in season one but as the series goes on you just start to question what she's even doing here. She doesn't contribute anything to the story and her entire character is comprised only of liking Maou and getting jealous when he dares to even acknowledge the existence of other girls.

I really don't understand why she is supposed to be the main girl despite the fact that most of the series is focused on Maou and Emi's relationship.

And somehow being the character most important to Maou at times to the point where they know she can effectively guilt trip him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 18290
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:24 pm Reply with quote
A lot to unpack from the episode 17 review as well:

1. If the moped license thing seems over-emphasized, that's partly the sensibility of the series in action (over-dramatizing minutiae is one of the franchise's biggest running jokes) and partly the writing condensing a lot of material; the series is evidently going to try to stuff 2-1/3 more novels into the remaining seven(?) episodes, as the end of novel 10 is the only logical upcoming break point and we're the bulk of the way through novel 8 right now. The novel makes it clearer that the moped license thing is a big deal to Maou because it allows him to be even more important and indispensable at MgRonald's.

2. Innocuously introducing important characters is hardly out of line for this franchise.

3. Don't overestimate Maou's emotional involvement with Emi. Every time so far that he's shown her any consideration and/or cooperation, either a common friend/enemy has been involved or it's been an act of basic human decency, not one specific to Emi. Also, as pointed out this episode, Emilia with Alas Ramus is the most powerful known being in either world, and Alas Ramus is unquestionably safest with Emilia. Hence, in the absence of a bigger plot being evident, there's no reason why Maou would be overly concerned here.

Most other complaints raised about episode 17 (including particularly the concerns that the story is dodging Enta Isla) will be addressed in upcoming episodes. We're heading into one of the most plot-dense parts of the whole series, so much will be revealed soon.

everydaygamer wrote:
Chiho is such a weird character because she's fine in season one but as the series goes on you just start to question what she's even doing here. She doesn't contribute anything to the story and her entire character is comprised only of liking Maou and getting jealous when he dares to even acknowledge the existence of other girls.

Don't agree with this at all. If nothing else, Chiho is a big player in giving the two sides excuses to interact and maintaining peaceful interactions between the two sides. She also provides the outsider's perspective on all of this craziness.

MFrontier wrote:
It's kind of funny how Emi finding out her dad is alive is such a big deal but it's Maou, the person she blamed for his death, who is the first person to meet up with him.

Yeah, I liked this irony, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
everydaygamer





PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

everydaygamer wrote:
Chiho is such a weird character because she's fine in season one but as the series goes on you just start to question what she's even doing here. She doesn't contribute anything to the story and her entire character is comprised only of liking Maou and getting jealous when he dares to even acknowledge the existence of other girls.

Don't agree with this at all. If nothing else, Chiho is a big player in giving the two sides excuses to interact and maintaining peaceful interactions between the two sides. She also provides the outsider's perspective on all of this craziness.


True, but once Alas Ramus shows up she firmly takes over this role from Chiho.

As for the outsider's perspective, I guess but she doesn't really contribute much on that front either since she only really hangs around due to her obsession with Maou.
Back to top
Glordit



Joined: 11 Sep 2020
Posts: 571
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:06 am Reply with quote
The lack of comments here and around other anime discussions sties, is a telling sign that the series isn't as popular anymore.

This season 2/part 2 is just as soulless as season 2/part 1. I can deal with a lack of overall animation, but the different character designs are the jarring, and the overall story has been incredibly slow and uneventful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group