• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Gran Turismo Film Earns Estimated US$17.3 Million in N. American Opening Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dardre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Less than $60 million all told for an opening weekend? Ouch.

And it only topped "Barbie" by $200,000.

$17,300,000 for Gran Turismo.

$17,100,000 for Barbie. A movie that came out over a month ago.

I think it's safe to say this movie is likely a flop.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:

And it only topped "Barbie" by $200,000.

$17,300,000 for Gran Turismo.

$17,100,000 for Barbie. A movie that came out over a month ago.

I think it's safe to say this movie is likely a flop.
Looks like it did better than what most people expected tho. it was initially thought that it'd only get 10M instead of 17,2M.
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:09 am Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
Looks like it did better than what most people expected tho. it was initially thought that it'd only get 10M instead of 17,2M.

Is clearing a bar laying on the ground really an accomplishment though?
immortal1982

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:53 am Reply with quote
just the opposite in fact. films budget was 55 million. even if it peters out now, it will make its profit. not every movie needs to make 300 million dollars to be successful.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:25 am Reply with quote
immortal1982 wrote:
just the opposite in fact. films budget was 55 million. even if it peters out now, it will make its profit. not every movie needs to make 300 million dollars to be successful.

I would think that they would have made a profit once the domestic box office earned was at least twice the budget. However, Hollywood accounting exists.
iluvrice2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:44 am Reply with quote
immortal1982 wrote:

The widely accepted simplified math is 2.5 of the budget to be profitable. This includes accounting for marketing spend as well as ancillary revenue. So if it "peters" out to anything less than a 2.55x multiplier, which is far from assured, it is losing money. At this point it seems more likely to lose money then make money.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:49 am Reply with quote
Barbie sold more tickets - many more people watched (or re-watched) it for $4 on Sunday's National Cinema Day promo
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:27 am Reply with quote
Jann Mardenborough´s story deserves a better film but this one is ok for what it is. Well shot too but good luck breaking even. The Cinemascore is an A so it will have legs but the starting position ain´t great. Such films have it hard in cinemas these days.
The next racing flop will be Michael Mann´s Ferrari. At least these still get made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling this film will absolutely clean up on streaming in a similar manner to Uncharted?

I saw it with a cheap ticket. It was…fine. Let’s face it, the story on its face has been done before, but the fact that it is based on a real thing and the sheer hilarious contempt everyone in the film has for video games made the leads compelling. I think it will make a profit just because the budget isn’t that huge, which has been the Achilles Heel of so many bombs this summer.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:56 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Jann Mardenborough´s story deserves a better film

Does it really? Remove the Gran Turismo part of his career. Would he still be a notable driver? The video game aspect isn't that much of a novelty anymore. Plenty of racers use sims for practice and it'll be hard to find younger ones who have no experience with them. During the COVID lockdowns, you had Nascar and Formula 1 hold esports events with their professional drivers.

Dardre wrote:

It's been out in a lot of international territories for weeks now, so this isn't really its global opening weekend. The domestic figure has an asterisk, too. Sony planned to release it here earlier in the month but pulled it last minute because of the actor's strike. Instead, they held multiple preview screenings. The gross from those are counted in this "opening weekend."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1