• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote

7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 6 volumes, written by Touko Amekawa, illustrated by Wan Hachipisu)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Studio Kai, Hornets

Genres: fantasy, romance

Themes: aristocracy, reincarnation

Plot Summary: Rishe can't catch a break. After being spurned by her fiancé, she fled her home country to make a new life for herself - six times. In each case, she chose a different path to happiness, only to die at the age of twenty, five years after setting out – and each time she reawakened at the moment of being dumped.

She's about to start her seventh loop, and this time she thinks she's got it figured out: each death was somehow related to a war started by Emperor Arnold. This time the plan is to stop the war before it starts, and when Arnold himself proposes to her the night of her escape, that seems like as good a way to do it as any.

Air Date & Platform:
January 7, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why I'm a sucker for these "Villainess redeems herself after being humiliated at the royal ball" anime, but apparently I am. Maybe because they usually mash up with other genres that I like, such as Isekai, or Time Loops.

I liked Tearmoon Empire and Endo And Kobyashi and My Next Life as a Villainess (Season 1 anyhow). I doubt I'll ever watch them again, but I liked them.

I'm not sure that's an even trade off for the way I suffered all the way through How Raelina Wound Up Internally Agonizing a Lot in the Duke's Mansion..

And multiple offerings from this genre kept me interested enough for a few episodes that I stayed with them too long before dropping them, like the one about the woman who married the demon prince, or the Magical Revolution one, or the Heretical Boss Queen. There might be others that I missed or successfully blocked. It's starting to feel like I'm caught in a time loop where I keep watching these shows.

Yet here I am again, like Charlie Brown revving up to take a good kick at that football. And dammit all, here I am, in that same optimistic daze, all "Hey, I think this one has the potential to be the best one yet."

But there you go. I genuinely liked the MC. I like that she's not a whiner. I like that she's amassed a number of skillsets after living multiple lives (that might be a first for this genre, at least anime wise, and I think it's awesome concept).

I'm in.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I reached my "yank the football" moment by the end of the first episode. Learning to live for herself is great. Having the show set up a moment for her to say it to the asshole prince so hard he falls on his ass is the Mary Sueiest Mary Sue there is.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:23 am Reply with quote
Welp, I for one can’t argue that it was a Mary Sue moment. Not so much because she told the prince off, but because the prince’s own guards were laughing at him while she made her speech, the peasants were openly questioning the prince, and the only rebuttals the prince and his new love had to make were weak and lame when logically, the new lover would have had to be a pretty smooth talker to get that far, and the prince was the one in a position of power. By the story’s own internal logic, if the prince was so feared that he could just randomly declare some duke’s daughter guilty with no proof, and a room full of nobles didn’t dare question it…then there’s no way a bunch of non-nobles who he could order executed on a whim would feel free enough to mock him to his face. It was BS, no doubt.

But I didn’t mind it as much as you did. For one thing, I've honed my BS tolerance with years of watching bad isekai. Now like I said in my first post, it may well be that this is like when you first start dating someone, and all these little flaws and warning signs seem like charming quirks or negligible issues, only to have them stack up or avalanche into deal breakers later.

For another thing, in most shows like this, the prince’s public shaming of the MC would be the main plot, and the show would work up to the MC getting her own back more gracefully over the course of 10-12 episodes. But here, she got over the public shaming six lives ago, so it barely registers as a subplot. Instead, she’s moving on in episode 2, maybe overseas, so they just rushed and wrapped it all up in one quick, preachy end, and subtlety wasn't on the house cleaning list. .

For a third thing, like I said, I’ve seen a lot of these shows, so I’m a little numb to it.
But I get where you’re coming from.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:15 am Reply with quote
I for one am all in. I love these sorts of shows, especially you throw in the term villainess.

She looks like a capable character who can go the whole range of merchant, doctor, scholar, maid and knight. I rewatched and she said maid was her 4th and knight was her 6th, but not what her 5th life was, which we can presume was not just taking it easy based on saying that she has not.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:19 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Welp, I for one can’t argue that it was a Mary Sue moment. Not so much because she told the prince off, but because the prince’s own guards were laughing at him while she made her speech, the peasants were openly questioning the prince, and the only rebuttals the prince and his new love had to make were weak and lame when logically, the new lover would have had to be a pretty smooth talker to get that far, and the prince was the one in a position of power. By the story’s own internal logic, if the prince was so feared that he could just randomly declare some duke’s daughter guilty with no proof, and a room full of nobles didn’t dare question it…then there’s no way a bunch of non-nobles who he could order executed on a whim would feel free enough to mock him to his face. It was BS, no doubt.

There's certainly the "I'm tired of this crap" and "it makes no sense, plotwise" aspects. I'll stop by for another episode, but my hopes are pretty low. But there's a more fundamental issue: It's thematically self-refuting. If the point is that she has learned not to center her life around this jerk, his reaction doesn't matter. "I don't need you in my life" followed immediately by giving him a role in her life (even if it's just self-insert self-satisfaction) is a writing warning sign of a different type than just "too many tropes." Instead, it's saying "we'll sabotage not just our plot consistency, but even our thematic points to pander to our audience." I remember A Place Further Than The Universe doing something similar, but after the main character says her piece, the show literally doesn't even bother to show how the people she's talking to reacted, because it just didn't matter anymore.

In any case, I'm not in the target demo for this show. If a show puts "pandering" as top priority, folks outside the target demo will probably excuse themselves.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:04 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm getting a little bit more of a feel for how far this show is willing to pursue realism and how far it's willing to push it. Having the old king arrive in a carriage five hot seconds after the visiting emperor proposed, apparently in full knowledge of everything that just happened, was like something that belonged in a comedy, which this anime supposedly is not. But again, I got that they're not taking the scene too seriously.

Apparently this show is going to be about the new princess trotting out her acquired skills and defying people's expectations. I'm cool with that. In fact, I want to see it. And presumably, she'll get pulled into the mystery of why crown prince Arnold is going to go off the rails and kill his father later.

I'm good with that too.

Still on track for Episode 3.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:08 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Having the old king arrive in a carriage five hot seconds after the visiting emperor proposed, apparently in full knowledge of everything that just happened, was like something that belonged in a comedy, which this anime supposedly is not. But again, I got that they're not taking the scene too seriously.

I had figured that Arnold (the crown prince of the Empire - his father the Emperor is still alive at this point), had informed the King of his intentions (either directly or by sending a message via his aide) for diplomatic protocol reasons before he approached Rishe. After all, Rishe was a daughter of a "ducal house with connections to the royal family and had been the fiancee of the crown prince" and he is the crown prince of the Empire. However, it obviously wasn't mentioned in the show, so I could just be overthinking it.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:40 am Reply with quote
No, it makes sense, though the timeline is pretty rushed. It looked like the crown prince was following the MC - which would imply that he followed her from the palace. But it would be more reasonable if he stayed behind to make some inquiries, talked to some aides, arranged a meeting with the king, and left via carriage or horse to stake out the MC's house. Meanwhile, the king would would have had to inquire about what had happened at the ball in at least a little detail, and then would have had to inquire about the whereabouts of his son. But the anime did show that the king seemed to be rushing about in an absolute panic, presumably because his country is part of the crown prince's empire.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

This was a show I initially decided not to sample. Villainess shows haven't done well with me generally and there was something about the time loop conceit that wasn't sitting well with me, either. Then, for poops and giggles, I checked out the 99th Level Villainess show and liked it, which made me a little more open about checking out the other Villainess show of the season. And lo and behold, I liked it. Shoujo loves its plucky heroine - magnificent bastard who gets tamed pairings and this has got that in spades. I have to assume the reason Arnie started the wars that killed Mary Sue six times previously is that he had never met her and thus did not have the benefit of the lurv of a good woman. Problem solved. Anyway, this is the last title I plan to sample for the Winter season and it puts my current total of shows I'm watching at 36.

Please feel free to refer to me as the Demon Lord of Anime.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:07 am Reply with quote
Well, we can't all be pillars of self-control and refined taste who only have 27 anime still on their watching list...oh crap, I haven't tried that Bravura Bang thing or whatever the hell it is yet. Who only have 28 anime still on their watching list.

Anyway, back to my original point, which is heh heh. Blood's an anime punching bag....
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, good luck to you Blood, that is a bit too much anime even for me, at some point the schedule gets so busy that it starts to feel like work to keep up and that can suck all the fun away. As for 7th Time Loop, I tried the first episode, but it seems like I have kind of run out of interest in the Villainess genre. I can now relate to all those people that have convulsions whenever an isekai pops up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald is so mean... I totally don't feel bad about ratting out his location to Skynet. Enjoy your Terminator encounter, suckah!

But seriously. Yeah, 36 titles is way too much. The only thing that makes it remotely possible that I won't get buried and fall hopelessly behind is that its Winter and I'll be staying in a lot more than I otherwise would. Plus, if the past is any guide, one morning I will simply wake up, give out a blood-curdling scream, and,lop off, like, 20 titles right there on the spot...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking this morning that it's going to be a bit problematic when the weather lets up and I stop having as much off time as I've had this week. Friday in particular is a crowded offramp of an anime day for me.

I'm a little surprised that I haven't been dropping more shows this week. I had it in my head that the reason we were getting more and more anime is like the Hollywood phenomenon where one thing makes money, and then more and more outsiders who don't really have any love for the genre but just want to cash in come in and start producing loads and loads of knockoffs looking for a quick profit or a notch on a resume. But despite the high number of anime produced last season and this season, I haven't really been seeing a huge downturn in quality. .

Come to think of it, I was going to give Delicious in Dungeon another chance at some point...and dammit, I should probably go ahead and give that Demon.Prince of Momochi House a look since I'm trying to do a clean sweep...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:13 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the third episode of DiD, I can definitely recommend it, Edjy (heh). I'm liking Momochi too but I don't feel quite as confident recommending that one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3