• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing's 2nd Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
..., through the free and peaceful skies.

Apparently only in the beginning. Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, knew that wouldn't last Smile

Looks gorgeous and epic with some great new "Last Exile-style" music in there.

The character animation (and backgrounds and sky-scape work) looks fantastic (the Anime Expo review/report on the screening was confirming this too) and it's awesome seeing some new Last Exile-style airship fleet battles already teased in the new trailer along with the sweet flying and cool-looking ships. The detail level on the CG ships and structures are stunning too.

Dio already feels like Dio with how they're animating him in the couple of shots of him lol.

The opening song sounds nice but I'll admit it's a tad bit disappointing that it's going with a standard "commercial" opener rather than one tailor-made for the show like Cloud Age Symphony was for the original, certainly not a big deal though.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Dio's the only returning character it seems? How the hell are they going to explain the rest of the characters away...some kind of massive time lapse? Real shame, I enjoyed most of the previous story's characters spoiler[even though they all didn't make it].

Also...turn up the moe much? I'm fairly put off by the amount of stereotypically sounding/appearing moeish characters that appeared in the trailer.

Don't let me down Gonzo Sad
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Alistia is also a returnee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TD912

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, a few characters from the first series are apparently appearing in Fam, like Dio and Tatiana. I think that although they are the same characters, they won't have much of a relation to the original series. It was already stated that this new series will have an entirely separate story from the first.

This series is going to be Studio Gonzo's first major work in almost two and a half years, and it's not based off of some manga or light novel or other existing work; it's a Gonzo original. They're going to have to fund the entire project by themselves. This is just purely speculation, but I think they might have been animating short, low budget projects like Nyanpire and Copihan to help them raise funds for their larger anime projects.

The original series was an unexpected hit in the US. I think Gonzo is trying to balance a mixture of steampunk, moe, action-adventure, and their high-quality 3D CGI to make something that caters to everyone. I don't mind having an all-girl cast as long as the story is still good and there isn't massive amounts of pointless fanservice.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
This series is going to be Studio Gonzo's first major work in almost two and a half years, and it's not based off of some manga or light novel or other existing work; it's a Gonzo original. They're going to have to fund the entire project by themselves. This is just purely speculation, but I think they might have been animating short, low budget projects like Nyanpire and Copihan to help them raise funds for their larger anime projects.

The original series was an unexpected hit in the US. I think Gonzo is trying to balance a mixture of steampunk, moe, action-adventure, and their high-quality 3D CGI to make something that caters to everyone. I don't mind having an all-girl cast as long as the story is still good and there isn't massive amounts of pointless fanservice.

Yeah, I would not be surprised if that was the case, using those to help fund their original work, I believe they also did something similar when they first formed animating for other projects. For a long time they were one of my favorites so I hope they pull it off starting with a strong new Last Exile.

Same here, as long as it doesn't take away from the adventure/steampunk/war/serious story with some weight I don't mind having a mostly all-girl lead cast as long as they pull their weight, also outside of the leads there appear to be plenty of male characters so as long as it doesn't overtly change the style of the show and Last Exile remains with minimal fanservice (like the original) instead making it's mark with it's story, characters, steampunk/aerial world, gorgeous animation/CG, etc. it does not have to be a problem and Fam seems like a potentially good action heroine in the trailers and the 2nd trailer shows plenty of the serious life and death, politics, fleets, action-adventure in the skies Last Exile mood.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be...interesting to see how Dio's appearance is explained.

spoiler[Claus and Lavie made the gutwrenching decision to continue to the Grand Stream in spite of knowing his situation, and there was no indication that there was anyone else around to see what was happening to him. It's possible that we'll get an explanation that Tatiana and Allister were in the area, but the original series didn't indicate that at all as far as I remember. As ultimately sympathetic as Dio was, an additional miracle to Mullin's survival would be pushing it. Not to mention the implication that Dio's death was merciful under the circumstances as he would never have recovered from Lucciola's murder. He's obviously back for better or worse though, so we'll see how it's handled. Also, looking ahead towards eventual dubbing, I'm under the impression from what I've read that Joshua Seth has left voice acting. Wonder who his VA would be if he doesn't come out of retirement to reprise the role? (I know - jumping the gun - but the thought crossed my mind.)]

The promos do look gorgeous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1