• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Solty Rei DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The third DVD is indeed better than the first two. There are many revelations that I thought that the series would milk until the final episode. I love how this series is very character driven and has moved to a more ensemble series. I just have no idea where the series can go from here spoiler[since the Roy and daughter arc was the biggest plot point, although I hope that his attempts to regain her acceptance would be perfect for the second half.] I've always loved internal conflicts over the external ones.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
I was already looking forward to getting vol 3. After reading the review, I will be buying this tomorrow. I've already developed an attachment to the characters, so knowing some major development is coming really gets me anxious. Anime hyper

I also really enjoy those interludes before each episode.

Oh, and Go Go Resemble Rescue Team! Cool
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
The story has definitely taken a step forward. The father/daughter thing was an important plot point up to now but there have been hints about a greater plot since the 2nd volume. Not to mention Solty herself is still a huge unresolved plot point and really the father/daughter plot has really been a distraction from that up to this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
The story has definitely taken a step forward. The father/daughter thing was an important plot point up to now but there have been hints about a greater plot since the 2nd volume. Not to mention Solty herself is still a huge unresolved plot point and really the father/daughter plot has really been a distraction from that up to this point.

Plus knowing anime, the whole father/daughter aspect will no doubt be some series changing point later on. Somehow I can bet you this aspect will be the ley later on down the road. I mean it almost always is. I'm just throwing wild guesses out but I wonder if by the end of the series if Roy or Solty will sacrifce their own life for the other. I haven't downloaded any episodes so I don't know, but I just have that feeling. The whole heroic self sacrifice thing.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
It's funny how I have come to the point where I really don't care too much about who made Solty, or why. Far more important for me is the strange relationships between almost any two main characters. The scene at the end of the DVD where Roy spoiler[ yells at Solty and is really mean] hit me pretty hard. It was one of those moments that made me shake my fist at the television and was worthy of a series like Rumbling Hearts in it's emotional kick. I found it funny back in the first episode when he is trying to hide from her, or when Roy is indifferent to her clothes or name butspoiler[telling Solty that she can never understand what it is like to feel the loss of a loved one and reducing her to a machine seems so cold (and ironic) after all that they have been through.] I might be paraphrasing a bit, but this is how I remembered it, although I was a bit sleepy and might have misinterpreted the scene.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I'm just throwing wild guesses out but I wonder if by the end of the series if Roy or Solty will sacrifce their own life for the other. I haven't downloaded any episodes so I don't know, but I just have that feeling. The whole heroic self sacrifice thing.

Well, it's a pretty common theme in anime actually. I know some people hate happy endings but I hate unhappy endings for the sake of having them just as much. Self-sacrifice is a common theme and I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see it play out here as well. Guess we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
I'm just throwing wild guesses out but I wonder if by the end of the series if Roy or Solty will sacrifce their own life for the other. I haven't downloaded any episodes so I don't know, but I just have that feeling. The whole heroic self sacrifice thing.

Well, it's a pretty common theme in anime actually. I know some people hate happy endings but I hate unhappy endings for the sake of having them just as much. Self-sacrifice is a common theme and I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see it play out here as well. Guess we'll see.

I like both happy and unhappy endings but I like them in moderation. I like the amount to be even, and also the ending really needs to work with the tone of a series. You don't want a nice happy bubbly ending where everyone jumps for joy and fire works blow everywhere when the series consisted of death after death after morbid bloody death. I mean imagine Elfen Lied with Azu Manga Daoih's ending. It just wouldn't feel right. maybe that's just me though. I think a happy, but soft spoken ending would suit Solty Rei best. Again, that's just me though.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh definitely, I have nothing against unhappy or melancholy endings when the series calls for it. The ones that bother me are the ones where the series doesn't really call for it and it seems as though it was just done for the sake of doing it. Sometimes it does call for it but they take it to an extreme it did not call for. If it's well backed up then it's fine and there's nothing wrong with such an ending, but if it's not and really just feels like it was sad because they felt sad endings are automatically more meaningful then that tends to annoy me a bit.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
Well, I bought the DVD today and watched it. Very emotionally taxing. The first "bombshell" I'm sure we all knew was coming. I thought it would still be a while before it was revealed.

The second "bombshell".......did not see that one coming at all. Especially so soon after the first. Shocked

That's one of the reasons I love anime so much. The unexpected. It's gonna be an eternity until vol 4 releases. Anime cry
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
It's gonna be an eternity until vol 4 releases. Anime cry

Well, that's one of the advantages to Solty Rei actually, the next release is only about a month away. I'm really enjoying the faster than normal rate of release with this series, I wish more companies would release them this fast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1