• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, August 29-September 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
This is just nitpicking on my part but under the Weekly Copies column neither Black Bird's nor Fairy Tail's listed numbers includes a comma while the others do (i.e. for Black bird it lists 50175 copies instead of 50,175 copies)
Aara123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Dear Viz, look at how well Sket Dance does. Please license that series. Help me help you. I want to give you my money!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Dear Aara123,

Look at how much Gintama sells. Look at how Viz recently stopped publishing Gintama. Notice how there isn't always a correlation between sales in Japan to foreign sales.
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
pleasantly suprised to see Umi no Misaki up there, forgot about that series, might go have another read through before the new scanlations come out

Megiddo wrote:
Dear Aara123,

Look at how much Gintama sells. Look at how Viz recently stopped publishing Gintama. Notice how there isn't always a correlation between sales in Japan to foreign sales.

i agree, apart from Naruto and Bleach ("the Big 2"), long running series tend not to last long after they get liscensed, possibly since long-running series don't have a huge fan-base over here (except Naruto and Bleach) because alot of people cant be bothered to trawl through 30 volumes or 200 episodes or whatever to catch up
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Detective Conan is still getting released in the US, despite being longer than Naruto and One Piece... so who knows. I'd still like Sket Dance, though. I'd be happy with just the anime being licensed, though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
If Sket Dance can get on TV, then I'm sure the manga can sell. Conan was lucky to get that kind of exposure, even if it was just ~50 episodes.
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Awseome to see Disappearance of Yuki, Soremachi, Hidamari up there. Would love to read those three.
Aara123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Dear Aara123,

This is very true, But they can't know until they try. Also, Gintama is all about culturual references and jokes, which is most likely what led to its downfall in the States. And while Sket Dance does have its own share of such, it's nowhere near has frequent and should, theoretically, transition better overseas.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Notice how there isn't always a correlation between sales in Japan to foreign sales.

Heck, just take a look at One Piece! It struggles just to get on America's Top 10!

Aara123 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Dear Aara123,

This is very true, But they can't know until they try.

And then fans will whine if it's cancelled. Damned if you try; damned if you don't. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1