• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Website for manga translations (text-only, not scans)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artican Velbades

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I've bought a considerable amount of manga since coming to Japan, including many titles I wanted to buy in the States, but were too expensive. Unfortunately, I don't have the language skills yet to read them, so I was wondering if anyone could help me find some websites which offer translations for the text. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:50 pm Reply with quote
What manga did you buy? www.Skullknight.net has some excellent translations for Berserk. [EDIT - Scanilation URL -C] does scanlations but does have seperate translations even past the the completed chapters.
Artican Velbades

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The manga that I bought are:
Digi Charat: Leave it to Pyoko
Saber Marionette J
Slayers (the first manga series)
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Dragon-Half
CLAMP Detectives
Magic Knights Rayearth

And thanks for the links. I haven't checked them yet, but I will after I post this.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Artican Velbades

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I just checked the sites. Sadly, none of my manga were on there. Sad
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Usually now the liscenser goes out looking for the scripts to the manga and ask that they be removed.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:26 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Usually now the liscenser goes out looking for the scripts to the manga and ask that they be removed.

hmmm... well...

we have a policy of no-scanilations and no-fansubs...
... but we HAVE historically allowed _untimed_ scripts to remain.

as such, even with manga, I think it's okay for translations to be linked, provided that they are not rips of the commercial translation.

a translation that provides visual clues (more than simply "page 3") is sorta like a timed script, however...
.. and so i'd draw the line there.

Acceptable:
Girl A: I like stuff!
Girl B: Stuff is cool!

Page 4

Girl A: So, when is Girl C coming over?
Girl C (entering): I'm here![i]

Not Acceptable:
[i]Top Frame:
Girl A: I like stuff!
Girl B: Stuff is cool!

Bottom Frame: Girl A turns to Girl B and winks. They then start working on their project. We can see 3 frames of a clock shifting from 3pm to 4pm to 5pm.

Page 4

Top Frame: The shoe of a girl, apparently running past a store.

Girl A: So, when is Girl C coming over?

Middle Frame:
Girl C (entering): I'm here!

Girl C is wearing a short pink outfit, carrying a tennis racket and a semi-automatic.

I'd say... the SK link can stay. The other link, however, had scanilations as well as translations, and as such has been removed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Hey c why no Timed Scripts? unlike a scanstran with a timed script one still needs a raw source such as a r2 dvd.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about that, I didn't know that fansub and scanlation sites that provide unliscensed material (at least in the US) was forbidden.

In that case. Artican, just try Google, type in the title of the manga and "english transaltions" and maybe you will get lucky. Worth a shot at least.
Artican Velbades

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:11 am Reply with quote
Sorry if I inadvertedly asked for something forbidden here. I just figured that since you needed a copy of the manga to understand the script that it would be okay.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:59 am Reply with quote
Nope you didn't do anything wrong, I was the one that mdae the mistake, translation sites like Skullknight are ok, but scanlation sites (like the one that got deleted from my post) are aren't allowed.
Artican Velbades

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, okay. Well, simple dialogue translations are all I want. Since I have the manga themselves, I just need to know what the characters are saying.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Legato 2057 wrote:
Sorry about that, I didn't know that fansub and scanlation sites that provide unliscensed material (at least in the US) was forbidden.

Not to overly chastize you publically about it, but...

READ THE RULES, it's in there. no advertising bootlegs... which in turn means no linking fansubs (as there's no legal difference between a bootleg and a fansub)

it's admittedly not clear (and we're considering re-writing the rules to make them clearer) but it's still present.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:04 pm Reply with quote
http://www.scriptclub.org

thay have alooooot of translations - but it takes about 2 days untill your account is accepted to their club.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
READ THE RULES, it's in there. no advertising bootlegs... which in turn means no linking fansubs (as there's no legal difference between a bootleg and a fansub)

it's admittedly not clear (and we're considering re-writing the rules to make them clearer) but it's still present.

I have read the rules, I just didn't think that fansubs or scanlations of unliscensed material was considered bootleg. If that's the case, then Teh Rules should be more specific.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1