• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Devil's Diary on Lifetime....Death Note Rip-Off?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:06 am Reply with quote
Wikipedia Entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Diary_%282007_film%29

Commercial from LMN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t_UzL-haZM

I find the similarities between Devil's Diary and Death Note strangely disturbing. I smell lawsuit by Viz and Shueisha.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
Sounds more like a variation of "Word Processor of the Gods" a short story written by Stephen King in 1983, where a man is given a word processor with which he finds he can write, or delete, anything or anyone in or out of existence. Or any other number of tales about books that have the ability to bring to life what the author writes down. Even in Cardcaptor Sakura there is the Clow card that also has the ability to transform an author's written words to life. The variation in that lifetime movie seems to be that the book is only used for evil and so it is called the "Devil's Diary."

These types of tales are probably where Death Note was also first spawned from. The twist there being that a Death Note has that basic restriction where the only thing you can write are deaths.

I don't think Devil's Diary and Death Note have any relation to each other.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess I'll try Devil's Diary. I need a good non anime show to watch.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Eh, from the names I'd say "yeah", but reading the description, the differences are significant. Besides, "books with magical effects when writen in them" are nothing new, that concept's been around a while. Considering that the movie book grants wishes, rather than just killing people, and it has none of the "ego god vs. detective" cat and mouse that was the core of Deathnote, i don't think anyone would have grounds to sue.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Hardly, it's another instance of some anime fans not looking past the anime to recognize that anime titles themselves aren't always completely original concepts. Even if Death Note was some amazing original concept that has never had anything similar like it done before the differences are far too significant to use such a vicious descriptor like "rip-off".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
Lifetime's owned by Disney, and they like ripping off anime, so I'll say yes. Cool
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
Who can really say? Theres not nearly enough similarities to make a case that its a ripoff. However, yeah it is a similar concept, so who knows? Maybe whoever came up with this was familiar with and based this off Death Note. Odds are though that its just coincidence.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Lifetime's owned by Disney, and they like ripping off anime, so I'll say yes. Cool

Nice to know I click with someone here on the boards....to a point.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Nice to know I click with someone here on the boards....to a point.

What does disney DONT own! Probably anything Viacom owns.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Bring something more than finger pointing to the table or don't bother. Aside from, arguably, The Lion King and Atlantis that is hardly the case. In reality anime itself owes a lot of its history to "ripping off" Disney. However, this isn't a thread for you to declare your hatred of Disney through generalizations and a lack of any supporting comments. If you're going to reply to the thread at least comment on the titles represented in the thread instead of using it as a platform to air out your anti-Disney bias.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
Bring something more than finger pointing to the table or don't bother. Aside from, arguably, The Lion King and Atlantis that is hardly the case.

You forgot The Great Mouse Detective and Treasure Planet.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Afraid I didn't, as those are based on the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and a novel by Robert Louis Stevenson, both of which are far older than anime. Not to mention the similarities in Atlantis are obvious based on the legends and can easily be attributed to that. While it is likely The Lion King was influenced by Kimba the two are basically completely different in their execution.

Either way, you again failed to provide anything more than accusations and a demonstration of anti-Disney bias. Regardless, in the end, your responses are still irrelevant to the titles being discussed here and your responses failed to actually discuss anything presented to that point, OT or not.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Keonyn: The Great Mouse Detective still swiped scenes from Cagliostro, while the anthropomorphic approach to the Doyle material was done by Miyazaki first with Sherlock Hound. The sci-fi pirate idea has been around since about Matsumoto's first shows, with the most recent variation being Skies of Arcadia.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm familiar with the "swiped" scenes, the similarities are circumstantial and represents scenes that were hardly rare or unique in the era. The sci-fi pirate idea has been around far longer than Matsumoto, in not only comics but literature as well. In reality it's hardly a unique concept itself. Regardless, even if you were correct these comparatively rare situations hardly warrant a mass generalization label put on an industry and the thousands of people who work on that industry. Especially accounting for the fact that a simple examination of it all reveals this is a two way street.

None the less, this still has NOTHING to do with the titles being discussed in this thread. If you're going to do nothing more than make assumptions based on bias and generalizations without bothering to actually discuss the actual topic then don't bother. Keep it on topic, one more time and this one is locked.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Aside from, arguably, The Lion King and Atlantis that is hardly the case. In reality anime itself owes a lot of its history to "ripping off" Disney

To be precise, early anime borrowed design elements from early Disney and other American cartoons. In return, recent Disney (under entirely new management), borrows heavilly from anime. I imagine at some point Disney will start innovating again, and anime will, in turn, rip off whatever elements they pioneer.

It's the ciiiircle of liiiife!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2