• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Monster GN 8-9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Great review. Urasawa is indeed "Japan's Master of Suspense." Monster is a work of genius.

I love the character of Johan. I so want a t-shirt that says "Johan for President." He's just THAT awesome of a villain. I would just need an image of his stomach-churning gaze and it would be perfect to wear to a convention. Mr. Green

Someone really needs to license the anime though .... and soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote
I gave up watching the anime halfway through... And I'm too lazy to pick it up again.

HOWEVER! I have heard the anime is pretty much a word-by-word down to the dot adaption of the manga, with no differences. So I figure I'll just check out that manga.

Note:If anyone has any info on whether or not I heard right, please inform me
Vashy335

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
yeah it is like 99.5% the same thing. I can't remember the slight differences though, probably the order of certain events, but it was very rare.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Eh, if the rating were based solely on storytelling technique and ability, I'd agree with an A. But as a manga Monster, both these particular volumes and the story as a whole, falls short of perfection. Like you mentioned the frequent side-trips with characters who are very often uninspired grows wearisome. Even Tenma himself could have been more compelling. He's a fine hero do doubt and easy to root for, but his character comes of as too perfect for the moral dilemma at the core of the story to work. Plotting mishaps aside Monster is a fantastic thriller and one of the best ongoing manga, but probably a bit overrated. Urasawa was still growing as a manga-ka when he wrote this, and I think he effectively isolated to two conflicting elements in the story (ensemble thriller with sentimentality; ruthlessly cold, morally complex mystery) with his next two titles, 20th Century Boys and Pluto, both of which are brilliant in their own respective ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1