• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ef - a tale of memories.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
ef - a tale of memories

From the producers who brought you Pani Poni Dash and the Negima OVAs comes an adaption of visual novel from minori. And based on the first episode.....wow this is far more tripped out than I expected! Shocked

The overall format may really discourage people since there is quite of bit of character juggling going on. And not to mention the first half dealt with Hiro's first encounter with a girl name Miyako, but then the second half concentrated solely on Renji and the girl with the eye-patch Chihiro. Even with the unorthodox pacing, there are some connections that can be concluded (I'm putting it in spoiler tags just in case):

spoiler[- Chihiro has a sister named Kei who's supposedly good friends with Hiro.

- Of course the guy with the camcorder Kyosuke is showing interest with Kei when he saw her run pass by.

- It makes you wonder if that church Hiro and Renji went to will become some sort of focal point later on in the series.]

I also what significance does spoiler[that diary Chihiro is holding holds in the future. ] Though I think it's safe to say that this series will dealing with 3 romance stories with some sort of connecting point that holds them together. With that in mind, it's actually quite spiffy for something based on a visual novel, and we don't have to worry too much about any harem here, I think. Laughing

And since this is a SHAFT production with the same team who brought you your favorite tripped-out series, they've done it once again with their signature editing styles! Though I have to say some of the scenery looks really gorgeous. And obviously I found this very amusing. And you HAVE to love the OST of this since it's done by Tenmon who has worked on Makoto Shinkai's projects!

[EDIT: Added the Encyc. entry for quick reference. -TK]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
Renji's a great character so far. He's straightforward, honest to himself, and he knows perfectly well what he wants and how he would come to achieve it. Chihiro is a bit annoying (if just her voice) though, but overall, great show, great first episode, very artistic (as expected from SHAFT).
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote
It's actually quite nice and interesting. I've been waiting for it since I read about it in another forum, and finally watching the first episode didn't disappoint me at all.

Yeah Chihiro is a bit annoying. I hope we find out why she's wearing an eye patch. I don't get why some anime characters have to wear eye patches. I don't think it's cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
I agree, the episode WAS trippy. It doesn't seem to form a coherent narrative to me, and really, it reminds me a bit of Baccano's first episode that way, with a bunch of disjointed stories that are likely to converge at some point. Mind-screwy, but intriguing.

On Chihiro... The eyepatch likely signifies that there's some spoiler[weird power-thingy] that's hidden by it. It's a Japanese cultural element that crops up in many anime, I think.

I didn't fall in love with the show, but I was definitely intrigued. And, yeah, the spoiler[Lucky Star Touhou Project game shots] was a nice touch! Anime hyper
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
Great artistry on the series, and some very nice use of visual gimmicks. (Shades of Gonzo and Gainax's best tricks, with a bit of Serial Experiment Lain thrown in for good measure.) Has too much of an ero game feel to it, and I had to watch the episode twice to get all the names straight, but I did like how all the disparate story lines have already shown that they're at least vaguely interrelated: spoiler[Chihiro is the sister of Kei, who is both the childhood friend of Hiro and the person who made the fleeting impression on Kyosuke - all of that has to prove important at some point.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
Well, that was certainly an interesting visual experience. I'm really curious to see where this goes.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd seen a subbed version of the trailer for the show, and I was surprised at the lack of trippy-ness, given that it was SHAFT, but am quite happy that the episode itself displayed some more non-conventional art.

Did it look to anyone else like Chihiro's diary was blank? Also, her reactions to Renji on subsequent visits make me think she may have problems with her memory, hence the need to write things down in the diary?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Did it look to anyone else like Chihiro's diary was blank? Also, her reactions to Renji on subsequent visits make me think she may have problems with her memory, hence the need to write things down in the diary?

spoiler[
And the fact that she decided not to at the end and started crying instead , as well as what she said implies to me that she likes him but wont allow herself to get to know him or put him in her diary because of the potential pain it could cause her and him.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I didn't look at the diary contents but if it appeared blank, it may have just been a cost cutting issue. Why take the time to make the text when its not meant to be seen? But I thought the same thing about Chihiro based on her actions. It didn't seem like she actually remembered Renji just that she had a clue (perhaps a note in her diary) that she had met someone before and maybe she had a vague subconscious recognition of him. It could well be why she was crying as well, she knew she was going to forget this the next day.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote
In episode 2......

HitokiriShadow wrote:
It could well be why she was crying as well, she knew she was going to forget this the next day.

spoiler[You pretty much nailed it. At the end of the episode, Chihiro admitted that she has a memory defect of which she can't remember what happened in the past 13 hours. That guy with the grey hair named Yuu pretty much warned Renji that he should prepare himself he he ever starts to get closer to Chihiro. Oooo, I can't wait what that'll lead to! Cool]

The first half mostly dealt with character interactions with the other characters mostly with Hiro and Miyako. Now whether you consider it engaging or boring is all up to you though we did get confirmation about Hiro being a shoujo manga artist and Kei and Chihiro are in fact twin sisters (or may that happened in the second half; oh well).

Of course once that moment in the end of the episode happened, a bunch of scenes flashed by until a new sequence played (I believe this going to be the official OP sequence). And I have to say, that sequence was just so freakin' awesome and stylish that really synced well with the music! Razz
Lemwon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm one of the few people who genuinley likes the series so far. I don't think I've seen a series with many scenes like this or this. I find the characters interesting too. The seperate storylines (Hiro-Miyako/Renji- Chihiro) are somewhat confusing, but since both of these "halves" are interesting so far, I don't have many complaints about them.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Of course once that moment in the end of the episode happened, a bunch of scenes flashed by until a new sequence played (I believe this going to be the official OP sequence). And I have to say, that sequence was just so freakin' awesome and stylish that really synced well with the music! Razz

Yeah, it seems like that's going to be the OP. And it is definitely awesome, probably my favorite of the season. I like Clannad's but this one (euphoric field) is the one that I've been playing in the background (yay for YouTube) over and over for the last 4-5 days and I anxiously await the full version.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
Lemwon wrote:
I think I'm one of the few people who genuinley likes the series so far. I don't think I've seen a series with many scenes like this or this. I find the characters interesting too. The seperate storylines (Hiro-Miyako/Renji- Chihiro) are somewhat confusing, but since both of these "halves" are interesting so far, I don't have many complaints about them.

I like it too Very Happy

The visuals are great eye candy, and the storylines - confusing at times but I understood it better by the second episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Yea, I've been waiting for this since I first heard of them making an anime of it, simply because of the amount of time between it being made into an anime from when the game came out. So far it's very good, though as was pointed out can be kinda hard to follow at first. It does seem that the ED for ep 2 would be the OP for the rest, doesn't exactly have the feeling of an ED for a series such as this. Personally though, I prefer the song "Yuukyuu no Tsubasa," from the prologue and the game OP, but I wouldn't doubt it if they saved that song for the last ED. So far, overall, I rate it an excellent, but as the story gets further in it'll probably knock it up on my list.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
SHAFT haven't disappointed so far with this series, looking forward to the HiroHiro, MiyaMiya and Kei confrontation thats bound to happen. I wonder if SHAFT will try to break the eyecatch record they set in one of the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8