• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Anime Center to Hold 'Life-Size Figure Party'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorkisDrizzt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
Wow, would be cool having the Saber-figure
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
a bit creepy..........
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote
BorkisDrizzt wrote:
Wow, would be cool having the Saber-figure

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The clothing seems pretty detailed. I wouldn't mind getting the Ryoko one either. But wow, steep price tag.
not_starman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
Ok apparently you missed the rest of the article?

Quote:
Japan's Gifu Prefecture attributes the country's decline in abortions among teenagers and condom sales to young males' preference for 2D girls.
[/quote]
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
So ronrey...........
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
This article made me laugh. Really, it did. If the second part had been it's own article, it would have made me giggle a bit and the main article wouldn't have made me laugh at all, but the placing of the last bit in this article instead of it's own (along with the "On a not-so-coincidental note") just made it hilarious.

Good work, ANN! Funny news is great news.
Proz512

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Hayate [the butler] was right! Some people DO prefer 2D over 3D.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
2D girls don't talk back, get knocked up, or cheat on you. And if they piss you off, you can just turn them sideways and they disappear! Anime smile

I kid, I kid! Very Happy

But seriously, I want some pics of that party. I want to see which of those big dolls gets the snot beaten out of her by crazed haters. Anime smile
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I would love to go to this. It would be an interesting site to see. I wonder what the other figures are. From what I can see so far they have Rei, Asuka, Lain, Saber, Hand Maid May, Ryoko, Akari, the lady from El Hazard, and what kinda looks like Shinobu. Anyone want to take there guess at who else is there?

The second article made me laugh. Contributing abortion and condem sale decline to 2D loving otaku? Glad to be of service!!! Laughing
Egret

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm caught somewhere halfway between thinking that's kind of cool...and being terrified. The idea of a giant anime doll lurking somewhere in my house is more than a little bit disconcerting. And the second half of that article made me blink for a few seconds and giggle for quite a bit longer.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Egret wrote:
I'm caught somewhere halfway between thinking that's kind of cool...and being terrified. The idea of a giant anime doll lurking somewhere in my house is more than a little bit disconcerting.

That would be pretty creepy... I could see myself getting scared of one at night thinking it would come to life and kill me or something. with those big eyes, and pale skin.
jigoku_hime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow! It would be really cool to see those dolls. I would love to own even just one Wink

The second article was kinda weird and funny. It made me laugh...it really did Laughing
Doc Tater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
I do not see any male statues there. There had better be male statues there (or at least one of Kaworu Nagisa), or the Doc'll have to get out his rusty scalpel Evil or Very Mad

I beg to differ re: the second article, though- I don't know about Japanese lads, but in my experience, we go for 2D lads/lasses because we can't get the real thing Sad
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
If I had the money, I'd buy one of those dolls. Not for any perverted reason, but for the simple fact that I think it would be wicked cool to own one. (My mother collects old dolls so I'm used to being around them at night. They mostly don't move. Mostly. Twisted Evil )

Personally speaking, I think the decline in birthrate over there might have more to do with the fact that nothing about modern life makes having kids a good idea. They eat up time, money another resources that people don't have enough of already. Japan's economy, last I heard, wasn't exactly doing stellar and birthrates have been down in a lot of industrialized countries. Why have kids when you're having trouble paying for your own life?

I mean, seriously, are there THAT many otaku in Japan that they can, all by their lonesome, dictate the nation's birthrates?
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
This is just so weird that I think I have to go and see it for myself. I hope I can remind myself to go before it closes, since my school term ends the same day!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2