• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films UK Switches from US-Run Office to UK Partner

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much everything from ADV's incredible sale is sold out by now :p

Pity to hear that ADV UK is closing it's doors, though :[
ruro niko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
So we have this on top of ending the 24/7 Anime Network, Anime ADVocates and Newtype? This winter is really not looking good for ADV. It seems like they are scrambling around to loose as many non-essential parts as necessary, and it is worrisome to watch.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe they just decided that a partnership with a British firm, similar to Funimation's arrangement, would be more efficient for distribution in the UK.

The article wasn't clear -- are those license expirations specific to ADV films UK, or are they expiring for ADV in general?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
OK.....maybe it's because I'm tired....but I don't quite get what happened. Except the fact that it's not a good thing. Can someone please dumb it down a bit for me?
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Mmmm, looks like I need to buy the Excel box set before it vanishes... Otherwise it sounds like a bunch of good moves for ADV - they can concentrate on production instead of distribution - that should free up both time and capital on their end and allow a much more efficient way to distribute titles to the UK. I think that the UK and the US release timetables will more closely match each other in the future.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to take everything that's been happening with ADV lately. I want to believe they're fine, but after seeing what happened to Geneon, I'm starting to think all the companies are going to go under but maybe two.

I wish those here on ANN who actually have insider information would at least weigh in once in a while with a "worry" or "don't worry" comment. After Geneon went dead or comatose or whatever a few of our dear ANN higher-ups basically said "yeah, we knew this was coming."
shirou.sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I wish those here on ANN who actually have insider information would at least weigh in once in a while with a "worry" or "don't worry" comment. After Geneon went dead or comatose or whatever a few of our dear ANN higher-ups basically said "yeah, we knew this was coming."

I'm sure ANN and it's employees are under a non-disclosure agreement. Breaking a NDA is not a trivial matter either just to ease/worry people's minds.

That or they really have no other information regarding all these matters.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
Pretty much everything from ADV's incredible sale is sold out by now :p

True, and oh the prices, either £1 or £2 per volume. All of the important links/pages on the adv website just lead to error pages. Must have completely sold out. And I have £50 to spare... Crying or Very sad
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Boy, I'd hate to be som' rube that bought x number of dvds for a series at $40 a pop only to get this in the face...

OH WAIT A FLIPING MOMENT!!
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Or maybe they just decided that a partnership with a British firm, similar to Funimation's arrangement, would be more efficient for distribution in the UK.

I hope you're right but...whilst I can find Funi's UK releases online easily enough, I rarely see them on the shelves in bricks and mortar retail outlets. ADV, MVM and Manga have generally been the only anime companies here in Britain that seemed to have decent distribution networks.

If it all turns out badly, I'll just import the R1 titles (something I already do fairly regularly thanks to Amazon Sellers) but, in any case, I'll miss ADV's regular sales. The crazy £1-2 per volume prices in this current sale aren't unusual (although they only apply to a couple of series at a time in the normal run of things).

CitizenGeek wrote:
Pretty much everything from ADV's incredible sale is sold out by now

Good job I managed to order about 45 DVDs from them this morning for a grand total of about £60 then... Razz
Still, I hope they find some more stock lurking in the back of the warehouse - there's another 20 or so discs I wouldn't mind picking up for those prices.

Time and Space wrote:
All of the important links/pages on the adv website just lead to error pages. Must have completely sold out. And I have £50 to spare...

Keep trying - their retail site's been on and off for the past two days. I had to check back every hour for about six hours before I got a result.
indrik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
This all reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. It sounds like ADV is getting rid of a lot of peripheral business units that probably functioned more as advertising than cash generators. They dropped paying to license the NewType name, stopped a freebie program for clubs that had been on hiatus anyway, and are going to a lower overhead distribution model in the UK, leaving them to focus on their core business of producing and selling English-dubbed anime dvds for the North American market. Well, I mean I made that last part up, I don't know for sure what they consider their core business, but this kind of move happens all the time. Which is to say, I really have no idea what I'm talking about, I can understand why this would look bad, but just from an armchair economics point of view, it's not really unusual, and could mean good things for ADV in terms of cash flow.

With apologies to folks at the ADV UK office who might be losing jobs out of this, and folks in the UK who will have their anime stream interrupted temporarily.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think these changes are a aspect of the recession in the US, lowing the buying power the non-japanese fan base.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Boy, I'd hate to be som' rube that bought x number of dvds for a series at $40 a pop only to get this in the face...

Ah, but now you can buy 40 discs at £1 and sell them in CeX for profit Twisted Evil (the el cheapo boxes sold in The Works kept their anime shelves stocked for months...)
Pity there were only a couple of discs I actually wanted still in stock. 12-hour shifts suck when stuff like this happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Ah, but now you can buy 40 discs at £1 and sell them in CeX for profit Twisted Evil (the el cheapo boxes sold in The Works kept their anime shelves stocked for months...)
Pity there were only a couple of discs I actually wanted still in stock. 12-hour shifts suck when stuff like this happens.
Uh, the window of opiotunity passed well after I was made aware of the sell in question.

Also, ADV's site was rather nonexistant in all my attempts to get at it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I should have used a bigger smiley?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2