• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cobs Poll: Manga That Young Japanese Women Think is Moe

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd replace H&C and Negima with Azumanga Daio and Hidamari Sketch
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
HachiKuro and Ichigo Mashimaro <3
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I wonder if moe hasn't become an almost uselessly broad category. It seems to swallow up more and more titles and genres. At this rate, some day the only thing that isn't considered moe will be Golgo 13.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
In Clannad the girls were incredibly moe-fied. It took a couple episodes for me to acquire a taste for the way the faces were longly drawn, but now I love it. Fuko-Chan is here!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if moe hasn't become an almost uselessly broad category. It seems to swallow up more and more titles and genres. At this rate, some day the only thing that isn't considered moe will be Golgo 13.

Laughing

Yep, and it also seems that Japanese women are a little befuddled about "what is moe" as I am.

I had what I think is a moe reaction to the character Jun in Persona: Trinity Soul. That character made me feel like I wanted to protect him, and didn't want to see anything bad happen to him. I also wanted to give him a hug, since he seemed so sad. It did occur to me that Jun would be a babe when he grew up more, and I thought he was very cute. However, my feelings, intense though they may have been, were not in the least sexual.

I thought this must have been "moe". But then I was told that this wasn't "moe" because I am female. Anime dazed I was told what I felt was a "maternal reaction". um -- Not really. At all. but what can I say if there already exists some nebulous definition that only exists for men? --So I guess I'm still in the dark when it comes to "moe". It's kind of comforting to see this poll... Anime smile + sweatdrop

edited for typo
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if moe hasn't become an almost uselessly broad category.

What about this list has made you wonder that?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I could see Hagu being moe but not all of H&C and I'm really surprised by Utena being on that list, when I was watching that show I didn't want to protect the characters so nothing bad happened to them (which is the definition of moe that I know) but rather watch them rise above their problems. Not that it really matters, anything that has that much emotion tied to it is going to be incredibly subjective no matter who you ask.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I thought this must have been "moe". But then I was told that this wasn't "moe" because I am female.

Whoever told you that clearly has no real understanding of moe. Women are definitely capable of feeling moe towards characters.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
How on earth can someone consider Honey & Clover to be moe? Confused
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo Mashimaro is indeed one of my favourite comedy manga series, but I'm surprised it is well-known enough to have placed in the top 5 moé list. I guess all of the women asked were female otaku. Either that or the survey included a disproportionate number of respondents from Hamamatsu City in Shizuoka Prefecture, where the IchiMashi girls were recently featured on special taxi cabs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
How on earth can someone consider Honey & Clover to be moe? :?

Aside from the obvious Hagu, I think Takemoto could be moe-inspiring for the right person :D Watching him work hard to get through art school, go on a journey to find himself...

I liked seeing some of the less obvious choices on this poll. It's interesting to get a slightly different perspective of "what is moe."
swanjun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
How on earth can someone consider Honey & Clover to be moe? Confused

Yeah, Honey and Clover is not so much moe itself as it is about some characters who are experiencing moe. There's a difference!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little confused seeing Negima on this list. Not completely, as there are a not insignificant number of moe aspects in the series, but it's pretty heavily action-adventure, especially compared to the other top 5 choices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1