• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And speaking on that issue, it looks like I have to do some further campaigning for Jinto & Lafiel, as this seems like another case where popularity is winning out over reasonable comparison. I have to wonder how many people who are voting for Excel/Hyatt over them have actually seen Crest/Banner of the Stars, as it's inconceivable to me that anyone who has seen one or more of those series would vote for Excel/Hyatt over them.

I completely agree with these comments and the later ones made by Randall as well.

When I was looking at everyone's votes before making my own I was thinking that it was surprising how many people had not seen Crest or Banner of the Stars since I couldn't imagine voting against Jinto and Lafiel here if you had actually seen both series.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I simply can't believe more aren't voting for Saikano. I mean what Chise and Shuji went through together through out that war torn series makes most of the other couples pale in comparison.

Hmm...I'm not familiar with either series, and I nearly voted for them, but I didn't want to risk a vote that was played towards my mini-game entry (I thought I'd put Shuji and Chise through--double checking I did.) I'm a little weird that way sometimes. Still, can someone/will someone that's seen both make an argument for Shuji and Chise? Is their bond clearly stronger than the Last Exile pair, or did they just go through more trying circumstances without it necessarily building their relationship further?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I simply can't believe more aren't voting for Saikano. I mean what Chise and Shuji went through together through out that war torn series makes most of the other couples pale in comparison.

Hmm...I'm not familiar with either series, and I nearly voted for them, but I didn't want to risk a vote that was played towards my mini-game entry (I thought I'd put Shuji and Chise through--double checking I did.) I'm a little weird that way sometimes. Still, can someone/will someone that's seen both make an argument for Shuji and Chise? Is their bond clearly stronger than the Last Exile pair, or did they just go through more trying circumstances without it necessarily building their relationship further?

I have seen both and I stand by my opinion that Chise and Shuji are the stronger of the 2 pairs. Don't get me wrong, I think Lavie and Claus are a great duo and their personal interaction with each other made Last Exile so good. But, I think they simply just are that one step or two behind Chise and Shuji. Both pairs are about as dedicated to each other as the other pair but I think Chise and Shuji go through more as a duo/couple and that makes their bond stronger than Claus and Lavie's. I suck as reviews so I wish I could describe it better but that will have to do.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy & Keiichi
Reason: That Claymore armour looks a little uncomfortable.

Group A-2
Voting for: Tsubasa & Hikaru
Reason: Marmalade's for eating, not voting.

Group A-3
Voting for: Nicholas & Vash
Reason: They appear to be having more fun in their picture.

Group A-4
Voting for: Miria & Isaac
Reason: They look like they need cheering up.

Group A-5
Voting for: Karin & Kenta
Reason: I don't like those merry-go rounds the folks from CC are riding. I feel out of place on them.

Group A-6
Voting for: Lelouch & CC
Reason: Those spindly fingers are oddly appealing.

Group A-7
Voting for: Renji & Chihiro
Reason: The sky in the background is the same colour as a shirt I once owned.

Group A-8
Voting for: Utena & Anthy
Reason: Don't like furuba.

Group A-9
Voting for: Ross & Armitage
Reason: Those clothes look like they're from Akira.

Group A-10
Voting for: Tomo & Koyomi
Reason: They seem to be very enthusiastic in spite of the fact that nobody in Azumanga Daioh ever has any "real" adventures.

Group A-11
Voting for: Gennosuke & Oboro
Reason: The two from WHR have almost the same face.

Group A-12
Voting for: Takumi & Ayumi
Reason: Don't like furuba.

Group A-13
Voting for: Suguru & Mahoro
Reason: Horo looks like a fox. Those critters are always causing mischief.

Group A-14
Voting for: Shuji & Chise
Reason: I've got my tissues at the ready for when I get round to watching this.

Group A-15
Voting for: Van & Hitomi
Reason: Their hair is shinier.

Group A-16
Voting for: Jinto Lin & Lafiel
Reason: Excel Saga made no sense.

Arbitrary justifications don't invalidate my votes, do they?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

I have seen both series and I would say that you can rest easy with your vote for Claus and Lavie. I think that they are a stronger pair. Certainly, both pairs had to go through hardships which challenged their relationships and gave them opportunities the go their separate ways and both pairs were able to overcome these difficulties in the end.

With Shuji and Chise though, I always had to wonder if they really would have stayed together if they were living in a normal world and not the horrible situation that they were actually in. It just seemed to me that they ended up together in large part because of their specific circumstances.

Claus and Lavie, on the other hand, were able to stay together through everything in spite of their circumstances instead of because of them. I always had the sense that their relationship was one that was very solid and that their bond was so strong that it would would always last.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the perspectives, MoR and Pyscho. I think I'll keep my Last Exile vote, sounds like that duo falls more in line with the way I'm making much choices.

[Edit: typo]

Last edited by Mylene on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Note: Sorry about the craziness for a few minutes there, but I decided to make this more accessible by splitting away 28 pages worth of nominations/discussion and leaving just the guidelines post and the voting. If there was something vital within the nominations thread, let me know and I'll split it from there and merge it back into this thread. The nominations thread can be found at:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57515
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Good work, Zalis116.

For those of you who don't fully appreciate this effort... splitting and merging posts/threads is an amazingly bothersome process, that gets worse the longer the thread is. 28 pages of conversation is a sizeable chunk to work with.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
^^ He did it really fast, too. The thread was only temp-locked for a little while.

Thanks, Zalis, this makes things a lot cleaner. Very Happy
velocet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato
Reason: Belldandy and Keiichi are arguably one of the most enduring couples in anime/manga. More than anything else what really shines through is K1's respect for Belldandy, and how clearly they care for one another, even if nothing ever really happens. They're a cute couple and a good team.

Group A-2
Voting for: Tsubasa & Hikaru
Reason: This is a weird vote for me, as I did really enjoy Marmalade Boy, and I haven't seen any of Figure 17. A long time ago I did read one volume of the manga adaptation, and from what little I read of it, it's clear to me that the relationship between these two has more depth and importance to it. Miki and Yuu are cute, and they have a nice relationship as far as shoujo goes, but fundamentally they're cookie cutter shoujo characters, while Tsubasa and Hikaru were really refreshing. I look forward to seeing the anime.

Group A-3
Voting for: Yuhsaku Godai & Kyoko Otonashi
Reason: No competition. I didn't get past the 4th DVD of Trigun, so if their relationship takes a more interesting turn I missed it, but Kyoko and Godai are a wonderful pair. Throughout all the typical Takahashi obstacle course set out for them, they make it to the end, and it's beautiful.

Group A-4
Voting for: Hermes & Kino
Reason: I haven't seen either series, so it was a bit of a coin toss, but based on what little I know from both series, I think Kino & Hermes are the more interesting pair.

Group A-5
Voting for: Rosette Christopher & Chrono
Reason: Again, not familiar with either series, but previous voters' response to this couple have swayed me.

Group A-6
Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge & CC
Reason: Once again, not familiar with either series, but as there seems to be some debate about the matching of Ahiru and Fakir, it swayed my vote the other way.

Group A-7
Voting for: Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru
Reason: It's been a long time since I saw Nadesico, but I did love the interaction between these two.

Group A-8
Voting for: Utena & Anthy
Reason: I love Shigure and Ayame, but I just can't see how they can compete with Utena and Anthy. The complexity, subtlety and strength of their relationship throughout the series should have these two as one of the strongest pairs in the tournament. Shigure and Ayame's relationship (in the anime, if it gets more developed in the manga I wouldn't know) is pure comic relief, and utterly arbitrary to the main storyline of Fruits Basket. Both characters are also first and foremost very self-serving, and their friendship seems to be more based on how much they can annoy the people around them, rather than how close they are.

Group A-9
Voting for: Ash & Pikachu
Reason: Honestly, I haven't seen Armitage III, and I just think these two are too much fun to not get past the first round.

Group A-10
Voting for: Anime cry I nominated both of these pairs. This is very, very difficult. If only I could abstain...if pressured, I have to vote for Atsushi Otani & Risa Koizumi though.
Reason: They're the core of the entire series, and as far as shoujo romantic comedy leads go, they're just tons of fun, because they work so well as friends, as antagonists when they're mad at each other, and as a cute couple too. That and they're a comedy act. In defense of Tomo and Yomi though (I feel the need to defend, even if I didn't vote for them) they basically made Azumanga Daioh for me. As AD is an ensemble show for the most part, their relationship really stood out because of their chalk-and-cheese dynamic, and the fact that despite everything they were (if begrudgingly on Yomi's part) still good friends after so long is a testament to their relationship.

Group A-11
Voting for: Robin & Amon
Reason: I haven't seen Basilisk, so I can't comment on their relationship, though I don't actually think Robin and Amon are particularly strong a duo. I had kind of hoped they would be matched against one of my favoured couples who might lose a popularity contest, but deserved to go through to the second round at least...

Group A-12
Voting for: This is another tough decision, but not for the same reasons. Ultimately, Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada
Reason: For similar reasons as to why I dislike Shigure and Ayame as a pair, I just don't see them as a strong duo. I love both characters, and I think they're a better pair than Shigure and Ayame, but they're still just an addition to the FB story, compared to Mayama and Ayu's relationship which is a big part of H&C's ongoing plot. My issue with these two is not that I think they're a bad duo, but more that I didn't think they were the key relationship in H&C. The best part of that series was all the blurry love/friendship polygons, and the relationships between all the characters were so awesome, I feel like I don't want to vote for Mayama and Ayu because I love all the relationships equally. Still, they're the better pair of the two.

Group A-13
Voting for: Suguru Misato & Mahoro Andou
Reason: I have almost no knowledge of either series, but I can't help wondering if the Spice & Wolf nomination is less because they're a great enduring pair and more because they're an entertaining pair that a lot of people are currently watching, so I'm going with the older pair. If they're still thought of as good enough to merit nomination long after their series' initial popularity has waned, there's got to be something there.

Group A-14
Voting for: Shuji & Chise
Reason: I haven't seen any of the anime Saikano, but if it's as good as the 1st volume of the manga, I have to vote for these two. I liked their interaction, they just seemed like they had a really nice bond.

Group A-15
Voting for: Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki
Reason: I liked the way Van and Hitomi's relationship developed over the course of the series. The fact that Hitomi didn't have the same level of immediate affection for Van as she did for Allen or Amano is ultimately their greatest strength, because it means she's also able to just be a friend to Van.

Group A-16
Voting for: Excel & Hyatt
Reason: I'm sadly not familiar with Crest of the Stars, and I did enjoy the antics between Excel and Hyatt.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
vs.
Teresa & Clare from Claymore

Winner: Keiichi and Belldandy. Going with what I know, even though I definitely dislike sissy girls like the goddess.

Group A-2

Tsubasa & Hikaru from Figure 17
vs.
Miki Koshikawa & Yuu Matsuura from Marmalade Boy

Winner: Tsubasa and Hikaru. Heck, how can't I vote for two characters whose names are coincidentally used for two relatively popular characters in my favorite series? Well, they're guys, though Anime smile + sweatdrop

Group A-3

Nicholas D. Wolfwood & Vash the Stampede from Trigun
vs.
Yusaku Godai & Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku

Winner: Vash and Nicholas. Friendship rocks, and I've never seen Maison Ikkoku.

Group A-4

Hermes & Kino from Kino's Journey
vs.
Miria Harvent & Isaac Dian from Baccano!

Winner: Hermes and Kino. It was pretty hard to choose, as I liked both pictures (the one with Miria and Isaac made me laugh like mad), but I decided to take out the ole 100-peso coin and you know the rest.

Group A-5

Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade
vs.
Karin Maaka & Kenta Usui from Karin

Winner: Bridget, I mean, Rosette and Chrono. Because I don't know a single thing about Karin and Rosette reminds me of a rather popular videogame character.

Group A-6

Ahiru & Fakir from Princess Tutu
vs.
Lelouch Lamperouge & CC from Code Geass

Winner: Ahiru and Fakir. Because the other ones are CREEPY.

Group A-7

Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories
vs.
Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru from Martian Successor Nadesico

Winner: Akito and Yurika. Going with the pair I know... And I honestly pity Akito.

Group A-8

Utena & Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena
vs.
Ayame & Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket

Winner: Ayame and Shigure. Just because I freaking hate Utena. Anthy's not that bad, but Utena angers me. I've never seen Fruits Basket and I'll probably never watch it, but between two evils, choose the lesser one.

Group A-9

Ash & Pikachu from Pokemon
vs.
Ross Sylibus & Naomi Armitage from Armitage III

Winner: Ross and Naomi. Don't know them, but anything's better than a yellow rodent. It's true: I hate Pokémon.

Group A-10

Atsushi Otani & Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex
vs.
Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daioh

Winner: Tomo and Yomi. Friendship over love is my major rule here. And eh, my guts may depend on this vote.

Group A-11

Robin & Amon from Witch Hunter Robin
vs.
Gennosuke & Oboro from Basilisk

Winner: Gennosuke and Oboro. I've seen them, and in spite of the spoiler[extremely sad ending], I still love the pairing. And heck, Gennosuke's seiyuu is one of my favorites: Toriumi Kousuke.

Group A-12

Shigure & Hatori Sohma (two on the left) from Fruits Basket
vs.
Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover

Winner: Shigure and Hatori. The 100-peso coin has spoken.

Group A-13

Suguru Misato & Mahoro Andou from Mahoromatic
vs.
Horo & Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf

Winner: Horo and Craft. Once again, the 100-peso coin has spoken. I don't know these series.

Group A-14

Shuji & Chise from Saikano
vs.
Lavie Head & Claus Valca from Last Exile

Winner: Shuji and Chise. Going with the ones I know. Simple as that.

Group A-15

Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki from Vision of Escaflowne
vs.
Seita & Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies

Winner: Seita and Setsuko. Because I've actually seen Grave Of The Fireflies, and I cry when I remember it.

Group A-16

Excel & Hyatt from Excel Saga
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars

Winner: Jinto and Lafiel. I hate Excel Saga with a passion. So I'm going against it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Belldandy and Keiichi from Ah! My Goddess.
Reason:From what I have heard they are a good romantic couple.

Group A-2
Voting for: Tsubasa and Hikaru
Reason: Coin flip =/

Group A-3
Voting for: Wolfwood and Vash from Trigun
Reason: Im more familiar with trigun and I know these two work good together as a team.

Group A-4
Voting for: Kino & Heres from Kino's Journey
Reason: Random guess

Group A-5
Voting for: Rosette & Chrono from Chrono Crusade
Reason: I haven't seen either of these series, but they seem like a more suited duo.

Group A-6
Voting for: Ahiru and Fakir from Princess Tutu
Reason: I loved the princess tutu series and seeing these to grow together was great.

Group A-7
Voting for: Renji and Chihiro
Reason: Coin flip

Group A-8
Voting for: Ayame and Shigure
Reason: Im more familiar with them

Group A-9
Voting for: Ash and Pikachu from Pokemon
Reason: The have a bond between them that is unbreakable.

Group A-10
Voting for: Tomo and Yomi from Azumanga Daioh
Reason: They are great friends and they can always joke around and poke fun at each other and still be great friends.

Group A-11
Voting for: Robin and Amon from Witch Hunter Robin
Reason: Haven't seen either series.

Group A-12
Voting for: Shigure and Hatori from Fruits Basket
Reason: More familiar with them

Group A-13
Voting for: Craft and horo
Reason: Coin flip

Group A-14
Voting for: Lavie and Claus from Last Exile
Reason: They are cute together.

Group A-15
Voting for: Van & Hitomi from Vision of Escaflowne
Reason: I think that they will go farther than the other duo.

Group A-16
Voting for: Excel and Hyatt from Excel Saga
Reason: With out Excel, Hyatt could not live.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Good work, Zalis116.

For those of you who don't fully appreciate this effort... splitting and merging posts/threads is an amazingly bothersome process, that gets worse the longer the thread is. 28 pages of conversation is a sizeable chunk to work with.

- abunai
Actually I found a shortcut to make things quicker. I took the original thread and split everything away after frentymon's first post with the "split from selected post" option. I then took the resulting thread and split it again starting at the first voting post, then merged the new thread with the votes back with the guidelines post to create the thread we're posting in now. Much faster than manually selecting every post between the very first post and the first-round list.

Anyway, since I didn't participate in the Most Evil Character contest, I think it's time to jump back into the fray.

Group A-1

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
vs.
Teresa & Clare from Claymore

Haven't seen Claymore, so I have to go with the iconic couple who've stuck together through several adaptations and dozens of manga volumes.

Group A-2

Tsubasa & Hikaru from Figure 17
vs.
Miki Koshikawa & Yuu Matsuura from Marmalade Boy

Out of these two duos that came together under artificial circumstances, T&H's relationship was much more effective to me because it showed how Tsubasa overcame her personal stumbling blocks and later spoiler[learned to move on without Hikaru.] M&Y weren't bad, but they were a little co-dependent at times.

Group A-3

Nicholas D. Wolfwood & Vash the Stampede from Trigun
vs.
Yusaku Godai & Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku

Regrettably I haven't seen Maison Ikkoku, so I'll have to go with Vash and Wolfwood as a duo with different philosophies, but the same dedication to their goals no matter the cost.

Group A-4

Hermes & Kino from Kino's Journey
vs.
Miria Harvent & Isaac Dian from Baccano!

Haven't seen Baccano!, but the "commenter/sounding-board" duo of H&K is one of the key things that makes the philosophical side of Kino's Journey work as well as it does. Credit must be given for making the talking vehicle device a believable and integral part of the series, rather than a cheesy Knight Rider - style gimmick.

Group A-5

Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade
vs.
Karin Maaka & Kenta Usui from Karin

I've seen the anime for both of these series, but since I don't know how K&K's fate turns out, I have to go with Rosette and Chrono. How could I not, considering spoiler[how deeply their death scene is burned in my memory]?

Group A-6

Duck Razz & Fakir from Princess Tutu
vs.
Lelouch Lamperouge & CC from Code Geass

These are both duos that start as uneasy/unlikely allies, but Lulu's relationship with CC always felt like only one part of the web of Lelouche's connections to other characters in Code Geass. The Duck/Fakir pairing, otoh, manages to spoiler[defy audience expectation and become a pair that's "supposed" to be together, supplanting the Duck/Mytho standard fairy tale arrangement.]

Group A-7

Renji Asou & Chihiro Shindou from ef - a tale of memories
vs.
Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru from Martian Successor Nadesico

If I'd seen ef, this would probably be a tougher choice, from what I've heard about that series. But there's never a dull moment when Akito and Yurika are onscreen together.
EDIT: After seeing the first 4 eps of ef, I think there's enough potential in the Renji/Chihiro pair to outclass Akito / Yurika and plenty of other pairs.

Group A-8

Utena & Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena
vs.
Ayame & Shigure Sohma from Fruits Basket

Ayame and Shigure make a great comedic pair, but Utena and Anthy have a much more interesting character arc, with lots of twists, turns, ups, downs, swords pulled out of each other, spoiler[swords pushed into each other], and the kicker, heavily implied yuri Anime catgrin

Group A-9

Ash & Pikachu from Pokemon
vs.
Ross Sylibus & Naomi Armitage from Armitage III

Never saw Armitage, and the Pokemon craze came a bit too late to sweep me away, but judging from the first 8 movies, Ash and Pikachu make a pretty good duo. It's hard not to root for them when Ash treats Pikachu as a friend rather than a Pokemon, and in all the instances where Pikachu saves Ash from various predicaments.

Group A-10

Atsushi Otani & Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex
vs.
Tomo Takino & Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daioh
Without having seen Lovely Complex, I'll have to go with this fine boke-tsukkomi pair that spices up an already-funny series.

Group A-11

Robin & Amon from Witch Hunter Robin
vs.
Gennosuke & Oboro from Basilisk

I hear that G&O have the Romeo&Juliet thing going for them, but since I haven't seen Basilisk, I'm going with the series I know.

Group A-12

Shigure & Hatori Sohma (two on the left) from Fruits Basket
vs.
Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover

Another type of boke-tsukkomi pair, that produces laughs as well as drama. The Takumi/Ayumi relationship was a good storyline in H&C, but something about the dysfunctionality of it all just rubbed me the wrong way.

Group A-13

Suguru Misato & Mahoro Andou from Mahoromatic
vs.
Horo & Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf

Haven't seen Spice and Wolf, but even if I had, I'd probably still go with this pair that artfully dances between numerous relationship dynamics, including master/servant, brother/sister, mother/son, protector/protected, and romantic affection. Beyond that, spoiler[the scene where Mahoro blows herself up to protect Suguru from Feldlance] is another one that's burned into my memory.

Group A-14

Shuji & Chise from Saikano
vs.
Lavie Head & Claus Valca from Last Exile

Tough choice, but I'll give it to S&C because of Shuji's unwavering dedication to Chise, regardless of who or what she becomes.

Group A-15

Van Fanel & Hitomi Kanzaki from Vision of Escaflowne
vs.
Seita & Setsuko from Grave of the Fireflies

I'm sure the duo from Grave of the Fireflies is a worthwhile competitor, but I'm going with what I know here.

Group A-16

Excel & Hyatt from Excel Saga
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars

I agree with the sentiment expressed by others in the thread that this one is no contest if you've seen Crest/Banner of the Stars. Jinto and Lafiel simply go through a lot more trying situations and character evolution over a longer period of time than Excel and Hyatt ever do. Plus, I get the impression that Excel would've dropped Hyatt down "the hole" if she stood between her and Lord Ilpalazzo.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to look at what other people say for the moment, because I want to see how everything is going after I vote! Anyways, to voting!

Group A-1: Belldandy and Keiichi. I actually have not seen either of these series, however I have read their manga counterparts. This was actually a tough decision. If Clare and Teresa had been against somebody else I would have voted for them, but in this case I think that the dedication here slightly outdoes that of the Claymore side, though I really feel like kicking myself for having to say that. They're both really great pairings, in all honesty.

Group A-2: Tsubasa and Hikaru. Don't know either of the series so I'm just going with the cuter side, not so much on the romantic side in this match.

Group A-3: Nicholas D. Wolfwood and Vash the Stampede. Same case where I don't know much about either series, however I have read bits and pieces of Trigun, so based on Vash's performances in the manga I'm going with them.

Group A-4: Miria Harvent and Isaac Dian. Not particularly fond of Kino's Journey, so I'm going with this couple based on the fact that they are probably of the humorous type.

Group A-5: Rosette Christopher and Chrono. Based on knowing the names.

Group A-6: Lelouch Lamperouge and CC. Simply because I know that Lelouch is a lot more badass and is a rebel in the making Twisted Evil

Group A-7: Akito Tenkawa and Yurika Misumaru. Don't know either, but I'm going with the girl that looks happier.

Group A-8: Ayame and Shigure Sohma. This duo without a doubt remains one of my favorite in anime for their utter nonsense and never getting tired of each other. This pair gets my vote.

Group A-9: Ash and Pikachu. There is no contest. This is one of the most recognized pairings in anime, and I would certainly want to see this one go very far in the tournament.

Group A-10: Atsushi Ohtani and Risa Koizumi. This is one of the more cuter couples that I know of in the history of anime, and how their story begins and eventually progresses is one that may not be too far from reality. This lovely couple gets my vote.

Group A-11: Gennosuke and Oboro. Kind of a spoiler[Romeo + Juliet type couple, where their story ends in tragedy. Yet they never forsake their love for each other, ]which to me makes them a stand out couple in this round.

Group A-12: Shigure and Hatori Sohma. Characters from one of my favorite series overall cannot go without my vote. And here as the other two Sohmas above, Shigure (again) and Hatori get my vote. In this pairing, Hatori keeps things cool, and also draws out Shigure's cooler side, versus when Shigure is with Ayame.

Group A-13: Horo and Craft Lawrence. This pair gets my vote because I am interested in the anime, actually. Even though I haven't been able to see, Horo has seemed to get my attention, so I will be voting for them in this round.

Group A-14: Shuji and Chise. Based on what I've read from the series, and knowing spoiler[the doomed relationship ]they are in so far, they get my vote. spoiler[Tragic ]love stories do seem to get my attention somehow these days.

Group A-15: Van Fanel and Hitomi Kanzaki. Somehow I get the feeling these days that the outcome of Grave of the Fireflies could have been different if spoiler[Seita had done certain things in a more mature way, ]but sometimes when realized it is too late, but we can't change them. Therefore I go to the other pairing.

Group A-16: Excel and Hyatt. There is no contest here. This team makes for one of the most funniest appearances in anime, and I feel obligated to see them to the next round.

Edit: Zalis, is the nominations thread supposed to stay locked?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Winner: Bridget, I mean, Rosette and Chrono. Because I don't know a single thing about Karin and Rosette reminds me of a rather popular videogame character.

Guilty gear for the win! Laughing Ya know, I never even thought about that Saki but you are right. Rosette does look like an older Bridget. Even the necklace that hold Chrono's power looks like a yo-yo if you had some string to it heh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 80