• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Best Duo tournament nomination thread]

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
How's this for originality?

Best Anime. This could be divided into categories and there should be a limit on how many series can be nominated (certain number of votes required for a series to be nominated as well). Anyhow the technical details can be worked out if this idea goes through.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Kirkdawg. I did something like that on another forum and I must say it was a lot of fun. A lot of shows that I thought would win ended up losing so their would be a lot of surprizes.

I think that there should be a seeding system based on the number of votes. So, the show that has the most votes would have the number one seed and so on.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
A Best Anime tournament would be fun. With so many older users here, it'd be neat to see which series would win.

I'd also like to throw out the idea of a Most Attractive Female tournament, based on both looks and personality. I think there was some discussion of it earlier, but because we already had the Most Evil Character tournament it never happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually more interested in a tournament involving characters rather than series as a whole. Besides, we already have the Top 10/50 best rated right here in the Encyclopedia, which is based on votes by people here on ANN.

I was actually hoping for another Moe Tournament(TM), because that was hugely popular. And there are many more characters that could participate this time. Either that or a Best Romantic Couple because of Valentine's Day.

Last time, I suggested a delinquent tournament of some sort, but that seems really similar to the Most Evil Character one (only without spoilers).

Does anyone remember past suggestions? I found the brainstorm before the Craziest Character Tournament via forum search. There were ideas for most tsundere character, seiyuu, "nice guys," smartest character, best/strongest warrior, best lead/hero, best mascot animal/pet (love this idea <3), etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
To further support my idea:

IMO, Best Anime can apply a larger number of people because (I hope) everyone has seen at least 1 anime they enjoyed. Character specific contests requires everyone to have specific knowledge of that person/duo/whatever. Plus, there's less chance of spoiling a series one hasn't seen. I.E. for Berserk spoiler[I had no idea Griffith could be considered an "Evil" character. I was right in the middle of the series and I was like "WTF MATE?!" and then I found out later-but it wasn't as fun as it could've been. ]

Don't get me wrong, I think a character specific contest sounds like fun-but it has its faults.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
IMO, Best Anime can apply a larger number of people because (I hope) everyone has seen at least 1 anime they enjoyed. Character specific contests requires everyone to have specific knowledge of that person/duo/whatever.

Well, even if you have a series you like, that doesn't mean it should be voted "best anime." For example, if someone really loves a low-rated anime, should they choose that over a highly acclaimed one because they haven't seen it or just plain like it better? Like you said, some people don't know all the characters, but the same can be applied here.

Because characters are so specific as opposed to series, it's easier to vote for one over another. (Evangelion vs. Cowboy Bebop would be extremely hard to argue for best anime. But Spike vs. Shinji in best lead is a little easier.) If you don't know a character, you can always be "convinced" by someone or ccdx should provide some lovely videos. Or you could just flip a coin.

As for spoilers, that's why you can vote for a topic that doesn't spoil you. There are plenty that don't, unlike Most Evil Character.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Best Anime sounds like something that has already been done to death. And, as people said, there already is a top rated list here, I doubt any tournament would deviate from that list very much.

A tournament based on characters however isn't something that ratings can cover. There's a few I can think of for this, similar to the Most Evil: Best Comic Relief, Most Annoying, Smartest, etc...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Best anime would be something too vague. You'd be having to cover a lot by having a best anime tournament, and on top of that, a lot of people will be on one side for an anime that should be in the tournament that doesn't make it, and then people will be behind the fact that an anime series will be in the tournament that they feel should not deserve to be in the tournament. You'd have a bit go on there.

I like the suggestion for best comic relief, we could probably use a tournament for funny characters. I might suggest maybe having a most ditzy (empty-headed) type tournament. Or dumbest character tournament.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Best anime would be something too vague. You'd be having to cover a lot by having a best anime tournament, and on top of that, a lot of people will be on one side for an anime that should be in the tournament that doesn't make it, and then people will be behind the fact that an anime series will be in the tournament that they feel should not deserve to be in the tournament. You'd have a bit go on there.

I like the suggestion for best comic relief, we could probably use a tournament for funny characters. I might suggest maybe having a most ditzy (empty-headed) type tournament. Or dumbest character tournament.

I was thinking the same thing about have a "best anime" Tourny. Every one has there own tastes and there are so many anime too choose from it wouldn't be fair to go for something more popular because some of the older anime may have been better in someone elses eyes.

I second, having a most Ditzy/ empty headed anime tourny, it sounds mroe fun and its something opposite of what I just did so they contrast well.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the notion of a charter based torunament over a best anime type tournament. Whether it's all around best or best romance or best comedies the series specific lists are what almost always get done and are often over done. So I say go for another character based torunament. Some ideas I would suggest are;

---best couple
---most annoying character
---greatest hero
---most attractive male/female (with personality having to be mentioned in the post/vote)
---funniest moment in an anime (not the series itself)
---most original, gruesome, or other type of death in an anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
How's this for originality?

Best Anime.

Best oxymoron quote on an anime forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I would also second a best couple tournament, but I think it would be fun to see it with a variety of couples, in other words not just romantic couples. Partnership, friendship, comedy, or romantic.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I would also second a best couple tournament, but I think it would be fun to see it with a variety of couples, in other words not just romantic couples. Partnership, friendship, comedy, or romantic.

Yeah... I could see that happening from a lot of angles:

Best Romantic Couple

Best Friends

Best Team/Teamwork

Best Comedy Duo

Best Hero w/ Sidekick
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Valentine's Day has come and gone. We're all in the mood.

Best Couple. Very Happy

It doesn't have to be a best "romantic couple" tourney, but a couple that work well off each other as close friends could work, too, as some otaku aren't too keen on romance. It could be fun!

Best Anime is horribly cliche and entirely too subjective. And if we have to have a popularity contest, let's make it a new one at least, right? Noooo.
Manji13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, maybe a series with the best characters/cast?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 28