• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
light novels ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r-18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
i hate to sound ignorant but i hate being ignorant even more; so just what is a light novel? i did a search and checked the encyclopedia and found no real explanation or description as to what the differences where between light and regular novel. i read a lot it's not unusual for me to go through 3-400 pages a night and finding new interesting stuff is not easy. so what are they, what is the subject range, and where can i get them in English as unfortunately i can't read Japanese. and yes r.o.d. and r.o.d. the tv are among my favorite anime. Yomiko Readman is my hero.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
I always imagined them as Japanese novels that were between 150-250 pages long. Isn't it actually spelled "lite" though?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
r-18 wrote:
so just what is a light novel? i did a search and checked the encyclopedia and found no real explanation or description as to what the differences where between light and regular novel.

Have you checked Wikipedia's definition? Briefly, it aims at teenagers and young adults, filling the gap between children's literature and traditional novels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
r-18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
actually i didn't go any further than this site thinking if it wasn't covered here there would be little else where. the main reason i would like to get some is a manga lasts about 10 mins for me maybe somewhat longer if the illustrations are good. i would really like to read some stories about the people in anime but in a longer format.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah the wikipedia definition is good and there is a somewhat official list of all light novels published here.

Currently I got 12 kingdoms, Vampire hunter D, Ah! My goddess and Crest of the stars series.

So far I have read 2 of the 10 novels of VH:D and so far it is good.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Yeah the wikipedia definition is good and there is a somewhat official list of all light novels published here.

Currently I got 12 kingdoms, Vampire hunter D, Ah! My goddess and Crest of the stars series.

So far I have read 2 of the 10 novels of VH:D and so far it is good.

Is the 10th one actually out yet? I've read the first 9. I'll need to look that up.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote
10th one should be out soon.
Thewalkindude368

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
Light novels, in my view, are sort of like the novel adaptations of movies. The writing is not always the best, and you can breeze right through them, but they are entertaining. Most of the ones I have, I have also seen in other forms, like Full Metal Panic! or Slayers. They are amusing, and worth the cost, but don't expect great literature.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1